Re: Lighting for my Rhino

  • Robert K
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
      I am using a temp gun to measure the temps . Its 110 on the large flat rock he basks on . His body temps is -5 deg less when he has been there a while . The rest of the cage is 80-85 deg during the day .

      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "lilacdawndragon" <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Rob.
      > Welcome to the group.
      >
      > I'm no expert when it comes to rhino iguanas so I'm hoping one of our keepers of big cycluras will advise you...
      > Is your rhino still a baby, though? I can't imagine a 100-watt mercury vapour lamp and a 50-watt halogen being anything like sufficient to provide a basking zone big enough for a rhino in a room-sized enclosure...
      >
      > Species of reptile which naturally bask to thermoregulate, should never stay all the time in the basking zone - that usually means that the rest of the enclosure is too cold, and they have no option but to stay in the "warmest place".
      >
      > Basking reptiles typically warm up with more prolonged basking early in the day, then move in and out of the basking zone to "top up" throughout the rest of their day. So your rhino's behaviour sounds ok to me, but as I said, I'm not familiar with this species.
      >
      > On the other hand, if the basking zone is too hot, (but outside of it is still too cold) the reptile may need to visit it frequently to get warm, but unable to stay there for any length of time because of the high temperature. What are you measuring the temperature with? Is 110F the temperature of the substrate, or the air temperature? What is the temperature at the cool end of your set-up?
      >
      > Best wishes
      > Frances
      >

      > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert K" <rgkempton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > here is what i have . One 100 watt megaray 16'' above his basking area . next to the M.R. is a zoo-med 50 watt halogen bulb to bump the heat up to 110 deg +/- . Down the middle of the cage i have two 48'' T8 5000 K sunlight florescent bulbs as fill in . what do you think of this set up for my rhino iguana . I was using at 125 watt power-sun at 12'' . Is the mega ray the best MVB going . I noticed that my rhino will only stay on his basking area no more than 12-20 minutes at a time . he rotates on and off the basking area all day . With the pwersun he stayed on his basking almost all day . I take he is getting more of the UV with the megaray than the powersun was putting out .
      > >
      > > Thanks for your input .
      > >
      > > Rob K.

    • lilacdawndragon
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2011
        Those temperatures sound perfect, Rob.

        Does the bright part of the beam from the MegaRay cover most of his body when he's basking? (I don't know how big he is)... ideally, the UVB should be more than just a small circle on part of his back, but if he's fairly young I should think it will be fine.
        Any rhino keepers able to add comments, please?

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
          My Mega Ray Bulb already burned out .I have tried and tried calling , tried e-mailing . left messages , tried leaving a message on their site ,tried every thing i could to reach a person at Reptile UV and get a reply . they don't seem to give a dam about anything but taking you money IMO . I also Still have another order that i have not got from them , that i placed in June and i tried to find out what's up with it too , tried to cancel it . NOTHING worked , same run around . Sorry BUT i will stick with using a PowerSun and get a UV meter and due the best i can . Best bulbs or not, their customer service REALLY SUCKS and is the worst i have dealt with . NO excuse IMO !!! Please i don't want excuses from anyone at Reptile UV . I have read all of them from other post . I though i would give you company a try , I am sending the bulb back with a note but don't expect anything back . I would still like a refund for my other order . I thought all the negative post about Mega ray and Reptile-Uv were blow out of per-portion , but they are not .IMO Done messing with them !!
        • Stephanie Fortune
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
            Hi....do you live anywhere near AZ? I have a new extra bulb I'll be happy to let you use until you get your MegaRay order.

            Regards,
            StephF

            ________________________________
[...]

          • Susan Mule
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
              I do know that Reptile UV is overwhelmed and backed up. Try to be patient. Don't call or email multiple times because that just jams up their inbox and makes it harder for them. Remember it is mostly just Bob and some help from his son and Bob had to go back to his regular full time job to make ends meet after the Westron disaster.  He's getting through things as quickly as humanly possible.

              ReallySusan

              Who is John Galt?
              ------Atlas Shrugged

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 15, 2011
                I gave up trying to reach reptile UV . So i bought a solar meter and checked my Zoo-med 100 watt powersun and it was only putting out 23 @12'' . tested the two zoomed 10.0 48'' tube bulbs and got 135 at 12'' and 167 +/- at 10''. with these and two 50 watt halogen bulbs next to the 48'' tube bulbs , DON"T needs mega rays IMO .

                --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Susan Mule <reallysgm@...> wrote:

                > I do know that Reptile UV is overwhelmed and backed up. Try to be patient. Don't call or email multiple times because that just jams up their inbox and makes it harder for them. Remember it is mostly just Bob and some help from his son and Bob had to go back to his regular full time job to make ends meet after the Westron disaster.  He's getting through things as quickly as humanly possible.
                >
                > ReallySusan
                >
                > Who is John Galt?
                > ------Atlas Shrugged
                >

                > --- On Tue, 8/9/11, Stephanie Fortune <fortune0201@...> wrote:
                >

                >   My Mega Ray Bulb already burned out .I have tried and tried  calling , tried e-mailing . left messages , tried leaving a message on their site ,tried every thing i could to reach a person at Reptile UV and get a reply

              • Robert Allen
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2011
                  Look, I understand the issues with respect to customer service. But you
                  know, it's water under the bridge for most of us who wish we had a source
                  for SPOT lights. Yes, 10 and 5.0 bulbs are great, but they are 2' to 4'
                  long. Hardly the same as a spot light.

                  So can we perhaps just shut up a bit about whining about Reptile UV for now
                  and move on? I speak as customer of both the spot and the heat emittters.
                  Just be damned happy we have the ZooMeds to use for the benefit of our
                  animals.

                  As Bartles and James used to say,

                  Thank you for your support,

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 16, 2011
                    The bulbs i am using are not the 2''-3''they are zoo-meds 10.0 48'' tubes, plenty long for a 25''Rhino. If you notice i am new here , and i have posted very little . I am done complaining about M.Ray's . Horrible , rotten ,disturbing and pathetic lack of customer service :), as i will never deal with them again . Seems to me Your whining about us whining !! :)

                    good day !!

                    --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allen" <rallen@...> wrote:

                    > Look, I understand the issues with respect to customer service. But you
                    > know, it's water under the bridge for most of us who wish we had a source
                    > for SPOT lights. Yes, 10 and 5.0 bulbs are great, but they are 2' to 4'
                    > long. Hardly the same as a spot light.
                    >

                    > So can we perhaps just shut up a bit about whining about Reptile UV for now
                    > and move on? I speak as customer of both the spot and the heat emittters.
                    > Just be damned happy we have the ZooMeds to use for the benefit of our
                    > animals.
                    >

                    > As Bartles and James used to say,
                    >

                    > Thank you for your support,
                    >

                    > Robert

                  • Susan Mule
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 16, 2011
                      You are still whining.

                      Who is John Galt?
                      ------Atlas Shrugged

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 17, 2011
                        Hi, to both Robert K and Robert A, and Susan M.

                        I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to make their complaints heard, but I think everyone's had a fair hearing now so please, keep your posts constructive from now on, and please stop sniping..

                        I'm not going to make any negative comments about anything or anyone, but I'd like to clarify a few points from Robert and Robert's posts, I think there's some confusion here.
                        These are the posts:
                        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert K" <rgkempton@...> wrote:
                        >The bulbs i am using are not the 2''-3''they are zoo-meds 10.0 48'' tubes, plenty long for a 25''Rhino.

                        > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allen" <rallen@> wrote:
                        ...most of us who wish we had a source for SPOT lights. Yes, 10 and 5.0 bulbs are great, but they are 2' to 4'long. Hardly the same as a spot light.
                        Just be damned happy we have the ZooMeds to use for the benefit of our
                        animals.

                        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert K" <rgkempton@...> wrote:
                        Tested the two zoomed 10.0 48'' tube bulbs and got 135 at 12'' and 167 +/- at 10'' with these and two 50 watt halogen bulbs next to the 48'' tube bulbs , DONT need mega rays IMO .

                        Robert and Robert - you're both saying the same thing, because Robert A is referring to 2' (2 foot) and 4' (4 foot) lengths, not inches.
                        As I read his post, he's agreeing that Reptisun tubes are good, but I'm guessing he likes to use his Reptisun tubes at a greater distance, for low-level "background" UVB and add what he calls "SPOT lights" - small patches of high-intensity light and UVB - to his enclosures. I think maybe he also finds the very long tubes rather obtrusive and bulky.(Am I reading that right, Robert?)

                        Robert K has, however, discovered that by pairing up 4ft-long Reptisun 10 tubes (with reflectors too, I'd imagine?) and positioning them 10-12" above the reptiles' backs, paired with halogens, he can obtain high-intensity UVB in what I imagine must be a very long, thin "basking zone" suitable for his Rhino iguanas.

                        This is interesting, because I think most people use tubes to provide UVB in what I refer to as the "Shade Method" - UV in levels similar to that found in the shade on a sunny day (UVI 1 - 2) covering a large area of the vivarium as well as the basking zone. The reptile gets less UVB but for most of its activity period. Whereas people use mercury vapour lamps to provide UVB in what I call the "Sunbeam Method" - higher UVB, like early morning direct sunlight (UVI 3-5 or 6) but restricted to the basking zone. The reptile gets more UVB, but only when actively basking.

                        Because Robert K's rhinos are large reptiles, this conversion of the "shade method" into a "large Sunbeam" method sounds good to me, and shows the versatility of a high-quality lamp.

                        Best wishes,

                        Frances