What type of light?

  • thomasevns82
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
      I have two types of tanks, one is a terrarium that I purchased out of petsmart that stands about 2ft tall with a swing open door. My other one is a 40 gallon aquarium. My 5.0 exoterra UVB light I've had for a year now. I know it's time for a replacement, but I was laid off my job so my funds are very limited and I need to get two new UVB lights for less than what they are charging in the stores. I tried checking out reptileuv.com but I was having a hard time on the site. I need to know what to look for
    • lilacdawndragon
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
        Hi, Thomas.
        What lamp you need depends on several things.
        We'll help; please let us know:

        1. What species of reptile in each tank? (Different species need different levels of UVB)

        2. Will your reptiles be climbing the walls and roof (ie. geckos), climbing up onto branches or rock shelves to bask (i.e. like bearded dragons) or walking around just on the bottom of the tank (like tortoises)? What will the closest distance from your reptiles' back, to the lamp surface?

        3. What are the dimensions of the tanks (height, width, length) and will the lamps be hung over a mesh top, ie. hung down over the tanks, or will they be positioned inside the tanks?

        4. What other lamps are you using, i.e., will there also be heat lamps (regular basking lamps that don't provide UVB)and if so, what are they?

        5. What temperatures are you getting/ do you want, in the basking zone (warm end) and sheltered, cool end?

        All the best
        Frances

        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "thomasevns82" <thomasevns82@...> wrote:

        > I have two types of tanks, one is a terrarium that I purchased out of petsmart that stands about 2ft tall with a swing open door. My other one is a 40 gallon aquarium. My 5.0 exoterra UVB light I've had for a year now. I know it's time for a replacement, but I was laid off my job so my funds are very limited and I need to get two new UVB lights for less than what they are charging in the stores. I tried checking out reptileuv.com but I was having a hard time on the site. I need to know what to look for

      • Thomas Evans
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
          I have two iguanas that I've had for a year they were still babies when I got them. They are separated because I was told that they should be just about the same size during their early ages no matter if I think they are same sex or not. In my 40 gallon aquarium which is 29 inches long and 11 inches width there is a brick and tree branch for basking with 9-11 inches between there and top of tank but 11-12 1/2 inches from top to bottom. My terrarium is 2ft long, 16in width all the way around and 23 1/2 inches from top to bottom inside, with a tree stump for basking with 9-11 inches between stump and top of tank for basking. There was less than that but the suction cups on my bridge ripped. I'm using 75w basking lamps from zoo med. My temps are 75-100 in the terrarium during the daytime, with humidity from 65-85 dropping no lower than 45-55 in the daytime. In my aquarium the temps are the same in the day time on the warm side but the humidty does drop to
          0. On the cool side the temps don't drop lower than 55-65 and the humidty no lower than 40 in the daytime. Hope this is very helpful. Thanks

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2010
            Hi, Thomas.

            I can see that you're doing the very best you can for your two young iguanas, and you're taking the trouble to monitor their temperature and humidity very carefully. I wish everyone was as careful.

            My concern, though, is that these tanks are getting to be much too small for the iguanas, which are growing very fast, I'm sure. They are also too small for the best type of UVB lamp for large reptiles, which is the mercury vapor lamp - like the ones you were looking at on reptileuv.com. These need at least 12 - 14" headroom above the iguana (not the basking branch - the iguana!) and about 3ft of tank length to ensure there is enough ventilation (mercury vapour lamps emit a lot of heat and cannot be put on a dimming thermostat.)

            Are you good at DIY? There aren't really any standard shop-bought tanks or vivaria that will ever be big enough for full-grown green iguanas, so the best bet is to make yourself a really spectacular "feature" for your home, a pair of enclosures that are almost as tall as the ceiling, with climbing ramps and "trees" etc. A home-made cage like that will cost far less than anything you might buy, and will be far better anyway.

            If you need help with designing and building this, there are quite a few very experienced iguana rehabbers on this forum, just ask and maybe someone will email you privately. I've found the following very helpful:

            Green Iguana Society "Build this habitat" page:
            http://www.greenigsociety.org/habitat.htm

            Jenn Swafford's Iggy Cage Page:
            http://www.baskingspot.com/iguanas/cagepage/

            Iguana Zone forum:
            http://tesa.proboards.com/index.cgi?

            "Baby Iguana" Mailing List:

            In the meantime, your two iguanas urgently need good UVB.
            What to do?
            I think the only realistic solution.... since building new habitats and fitting them with mercury vapor lamps is going to take more than a week or two... is for you to buy some new UVB tubes.
            The UVB output from tubes is very low compared to merc. vapors, but in a very small space with the reptile's back very close to them, good brands of tube are safe.
            The ones with much the best test results for UVB output, good spectrum, and longevity, of the USA brands I've tested, are the ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tubes. They must be placed within 8-10" above the backs of your iguanas when they are basking, so your current basking distances should be good for these tubes.
            Ideally, use them with fixtures having aluminium reflectors so all the UV is directed downwards into the tank. Buy tubes long enough to light up the whole basking zone and half to three-quarters of the rest of the tank; for your tanks that has to be 24" tubes I think.
            I don't know if there's anywhere to get them in the USA cheaper than this, but a link someone showed me recently was here:
            <http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html>
            and boy, that certainly looks cheap to me. They are twice that price over here in the UK.
            These tubes last a full year. You can transfer them to your big habitat too, for very useful bonus UVB to supplement your mercury vapor lamps, so buying them now won't be a waste of money.

            Hope this helps.

            Frances

            --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Evans <thomasevns82@...> wrote:

            > I have two iguanas that I've had for a year they were still babies when I got them. They are separated because I was told that they should be just about the same size during their early ages no matter if I think they are same sex or not. In my 40 gallon aquarium which is 29 inches long and 11 inches width there is a brick and tree branch for basking with 9-11 inches between there and top of tank but 11-12 1/2 inches from top to bottom. My terrarium is 2ft long, 16in width all the way around and 23 1/2 inches from top to bottom inside, with a tree stump for basking with 9-11 inches between stump and top of tank for basking. There was less than that but the suction cups on my bridge ripped. I'm using 75w basking lamps from zoo med. My temps are 75-100 in the terrarium during the daytime, with humidity from 65-85 dropping no lower than 45-55 in the daytime. In my aquarium the temps are the same in the day time on the warm side but the humidty does drop to
            > 0. On the cool side the temps don't drop lower than 55-65 and the humidty no lower than 40 in the daytime. Hope this is very helpful. Thanks
            >
            > On Sun Dec 12th, 2010 9:10 AM EST lilacdawndragon wrote:
            >
            > >Hi, Thomas.
            > >What lamp you need depends on several things.
            > >We'll help; please let us know:
            > >
            > >1. What species of reptile in each tank? (Different species need different levels of UVB)
            > >
            > >2. Will your reptiles be climbing the walls and roof (ie. geckos), climbing up onto branches or rock shelves to bask (i.e. like bearded dragons) or walking around just on the bottom of the tank (like tortoises)? What will the closest distance from your reptiles' back, to the lamp surface?
            > >
            > >3. What are the dimensions of the tanks (height, width, length) and will the lamps be hung over a mesh top, ie. hung down over the tanks, or will they be positioned inside the tanks?
            > >
            > >4. What other lamps are you using, i.e., will there also be heat lamps (regular basking lamps that don't provide UVB)and if so, what are they?
            > >
            > >5. What temperatures are you getting/ do you want, in the basking zone (warm end) and sheltered, cool end?
            > >
            > >All the best
            > >Frances
            > >

            > >--- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "thomasevns82" <thomasevns82@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I have two types of tanks, one is a terrarium that I purchased out of petsmart that stands about 2ft tall with a swing open door. My other one is a 40 gallon aquarium. My 5.0 exoterra UVB light I've had for a year now. I know it's time for a replacement, but I was laid off my job so my funds are very limited and I need to get two new UVB lights for less than what they are charging in the stores. I tried checking out reptileuv.com but I was having a hard time on the site. I need to know what to look for

          • LT
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 10, 2011
              Hi Thomas

              Check out the videos on reptileuv and also at the bottom of the page is a link to my youtube channel about iguana care. Email me at lizardtail@... with your phone number and whens a good time to call and i'll call you one evening to help you figure out lighting and to go over alittle bit about their care. I've had iguanas for over 21 yrs now.

              Jimmy

              --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Evans <thomasevns82@...> wrote:

              > I have two iguanas that I've had for a year they were still babies when I got them. They are separated because I was told that they should be just about the same size during their early ages no matter if I think they are same sex or not. In my 40 gallon aquarium which is 29 inches long and 11 inches width there is a brick and tree branch for basking with 9-11 inches between there and top of tank but 11-12 1/2 inches from top to bottom. My terrarium is 2ft long, 16in width all the way around and 23 1/2 inches from top to bottom inside, with a tree stump for basking with 9-11 inches between stump and top of tank for basking. There was less than that but the suction cups on my bridge ripped. I'm using 75w basking lamps from zoo med. My temps are 75-100 in the terrarium during the daytime, with humidity from 65-85 dropping no lower than 45-55 in the daytime. In my aquarium the temps are the same in the day time on the warm side but the humidty does drop to
              > 0. On the cool side the temps don't drop lower than 55-65 and the humidty no lower than 40 in the daytime. Hope this is very helpful. Thanks
              >
              > On Sun Dec 12th, 2010 9:10 AM EST lilacdawndragon wrote:
              >
              > >Hi, Thomas.
              > >What lamp you need depends on several things.
              > >We'll help; please let us know:
              > >
              > >1. What species of reptile in each tank? (Different species need different levels of UVB)
              > >
              > >2. Will your reptiles be climbing the walls and roof (ie. geckos), climbing up onto branches or rock shelves to bask (i.e. like bearded dragons) or walking around just on the bottom of the tank (like tortoises)? What will the closest distance from your reptiles' back, to the lamp surface?
              > >
              > >3. What are the dimensions of the tanks (height, width, length) and will the lamps be hung over a mesh top, ie. hung down over the tanks, or will they be positioned inside the tanks?
              > >
              > >4. What other lamps are you using, i.e., will there also be heat lamps (regular basking lamps that don't provide UVB)and if so, what are they?
              > >
              > >5. What temperatures are you getting/ do you want, in the basking zone (warm end) and sheltered, cool end?
              > >
              > >All the best
              > >Frances
              > >

              > >--- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "thomasevns82" <thomasevns82@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I have two types of tanks, one is a terrarium that I purchased out of petsmart that stands about 2ft tall with a swing open door. My other one is a 40 gallon aquarium. My 5.0 exoterra UVB light I've had for a year now. I know it's time for a replacement, but I was laid off my job so my funds are very limited and I need to get two new UVB lights for less than what they are charging in the stores. I tried checking out reptileuv.com but I was having a hard time on the site. I need to know what to look for

            • Wayne Robinson
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 11, 2011
                Hey everyone...

                Are there any florescent strip bulbs that I can purchase that are nearly as good
                as the ReptiSun 10.0s?

                Im using these for my bearded dragon collection.

                I took my solar-meter and tested one of my 18 inch bulbs and found that it was
                emitting only 10-15 w/cm2. This seems absurd at 25-27 dollars apiece. Outside
                here in florida getting a reading of 215 w/cm2 in the sunlight.

                thank you for any insights

                Wayne

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 15, 2011
                  Hi, Wayne.

                  The ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 linear tubes test results are very good indeed (in respect of spectrum, total output, quality of build and longevity) for fluorescent tubes, and I'm not aware of an equivalent brand available in the USA.

                  The sample 24" T8 (1" diameter) lamp I tested last year reached 4,000 hours (1 year) of use in one of my vivaria, a few months ago.
                  It started off at 30 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.9) at 12 inches distance. after burning-in for just over 100hrs, it gave me 24 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.7).
                  Then after 4,000 hours, the reading at 12" was still 21 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.6) which is extremely good indeed, a very low decay rate.

                  What distances were your 6.2 Solarmeter from the tube, where you got the readings of 10 - 15 uW/cm2?
                  I was getting 13uW/cm2 (UVI 0.4) at 18" after burning-in.

                  You're right, outdoor sunlight when the sun is high in the sky has far more UVB than any safe UVB-emitting fluorescent tube mounted at a sensible distance above a reptile.
                  However, the readings from a Solarmeter 6.2 from a lamp cannot be compared directly with readings from sunlight, because the spectra of these two light sources are very different.
                  The Reptisun 10.0 spectrum has a greater percentage of its UVB in the shorter wavelengths than does sunlight.
                  According to my meter readings, 31 - 32uW/cm2 from a Reptisun 10.0 lamp is equivalent to approximately 40 - 50uW/cm2 of sunlight.

                  With fluorescent tubes, the general concept is to create a wide zone of "background" UV, rather like daylight "in the shade", so it's okay, you're not aiming to match the intensity of full sunlight in the basking zone. (If you want that, the only realistic options are mercury vapor or metal halide lamps.)
                  With a fluorescent tube, fitted with an aluminum reflector, you are aiming for maybe UV Index 2 - 2.5 across a large area including the basking zone, for a morning-sun-basker like a bearded dragon.
                  A ReptiSun 10 tube fitted with a reflector will likely give you that at about 8 - 10 inches above the dragon's back. (You're looking for a Solarmeter 6.2 reading of around 60 - 80 uW/cm2 to get UVI 2 - 2.5)

                  But if you can fix up an outdoor pen for your beardies, with shade and sun, your Florida sunlight would be much better than any indoor alternatives, when the weather permits...

                  Best wishes,
                  Frances

                  --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Robinson <sirradgixxer996@...> wrote:

                  > Hey everyone...
                  >
                  > Are there any florescent strip bulbs that I can purchase that are nearly as good
                  > as the ReptiSun 10.0s?
                  >

                  > Im using these for my bearded dragon collection.
                  >
                  > I took my solar-meter and tested one of my 18 inch bulbs and found that it was
                  > emitting only 10-15 w/cm2. This seems absurd at 25-27 dollars apiece. Outside
                  > here in florida getting a reading of 215 w/cm2 in the sunlight.
                  >

                  > thank you for any insights
                  >
                  > Wayne
                • Wayne Robinson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2011
                    Thank you frances... I just caught this now. Wonderful well thought out
                    response... thank you very much. I have recently had a clutch of baby bearded
                    dragons. They are somewhat high end coming from the mating of lavender
                    translucent leatherback male and a partial trans hypo leatherback female. I
                    have three different uvb lights amassed together to raise the uvb for there
                    basking area to 70 uW/cm2. One of the bulbs is an older mercury vapor the other
                    an ESU Reptile compact uv light and then an 18" reptisun. Underneath the bulbs
                    the dragons have an assortment of items to hide and crawl on including rocks and
                    such.

                    I feel this is a pretty good intensity of uvb for them to see optimal benefits
                    of uvb.

                    I have now since writing that email noticed some variations int several of the
                    reptisun bulbs. I also bought the aluminum tape and did the back of most with
                    it as well.

                    The reptisuns just seem expensive to me for the little amount of uvb emitted. I
                    need to get an outdoor enclosure setup for down here in Florida so that I can
                    rotate them out into the natural sunlight. I do take them out but it's
                    supervised and a little bit of a hassle. I would of course be sure to watch and
                    have a number of areas available for the dragon to escape the sun also.

                    Question: do you think high basking temps and elevated uvb in the wild can
                    allow reptiles to combat internal parasites? I have wondered that? Maybe by
                    cooking them off.

                    I have a really amazing het for translucent male hypo. I did a fecal test on
                    him and he has internal parasites. I have tried treating him with both albon
                    and panacur. He hates it and while being treated he seems to go into a funk and
                    then not eat. Right now he is eating but minimally and his stool is just a
                    runny sloppy absolute mess.

                    I guess that is really the only way? The sulfa drugs? I just ordered more
                    acidophiliz to use with him also. Having issues getting him back to proper
                    health and conquered his internal parasite issue. I believe he may have
                    coccidia.

                    Any help you render would be greatly appreciated. He is so gorgeous... a very
                    pale cream color with oranges and blues. Really pains me to see him in this
                    funk. He is also super sweet and calm.

                    If I could find a good herp vet around here I would most likely take him. I do
                    my own fecals however and have a scope etc.

                    I saw the lady (vet) that posted the formula to give birds and was tempted to
                    get that for him. I see it has vitamin A in it and thought this was not good
                    for dragons.

                    Money is not really an issue, so please let me know... thanks.

                    Wayne

                    ________________________________

                    wrote:

                    > Hey everyone...
                    >
                    > Are there any florescent strip bulbs that I can purchase that are nearly as
                    >good
                    >
                    > as the ReptiSun 10.0s?
                    >

                    > Im using these for my bearded dragon collection.
                    >
                    > I took my solar-meter and tested one of my 18 inch bulbs and found that it was

                    > emitting only 10-15 w/cm2. This seems absurd at 25-27 dollars apiece. Outside
                    >
                    > here in florida getting a reading of 215 w/cm2 in the sunlight.
                    >

                    > thank you for any insights
                    >
                    > Wayne

                  • Actiondisplay
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19, 2011
                      Sort off off track, but for a while linnen's and things online (oh yes.. linnens and things as in bedding and sheets! http://www.lnt.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=repti+sun&g=+ )

                      was selling repti sun bulbs CHEAP, like 17 bucks for a 5.0 26w cfl. w/ free shipping ...so naturally I bought a few.

                      But now they either wised up or had to start selling them for more: $27.24.

                      Heres the question, since we all go thru bulbs, where can we get them at a real good price?

                      I figured if someone in the group finds a great price online somewhere, they should post if for the group.

                      Even if they are up on e-bay, not on auction, but at a fixed price...we should let each other know.

                      I think we should all help each other out to save $$

                      After all, we are all in an *unfortunately* small minority of herpers that can comprehend the importance of using full spectrum and UV light.

                      Agreed?

                      Thanks! Todd

                      Messages in this topic (8)
                      Recent Activity: New Members 1
                      Visit Your Group

                      .

                    • lilacdawndragon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 22, 2011
                        Hi, Wayne.

                        >I have three different uvb lights amassed together to raise the uvb for there basking area to 70 uW/cm2. One of the bulbs is an older mercury vapor the other an ESU Reptile compact uv light and then an 18" reptisun.

                        Without testing your mercury vapor lamp and ESU compact, I have no idea whether the combined output, totalling 70 uW/cm2, is suitable or not. This is because each lamp type will have a different ratio of short : long wavelength UVB. What brand is your mercury vapor lamp?
                        If you have used this combination for some time, and have seen no problems with it, then it is most probably fine....

                        With translucents, leatherbacks and especially hypo animals, watch out for any signs of over-exposure (ie. sunburn.) They don't have "normal" skin with its protective scales and thick layers of pigmented keratin. I haven't heard of such a case, but I have seen skin damage in so-called albino morphs of other reptiles.

                        > Question: do you think high basking temps and elevated uvb in the wild can allow reptiles to combat internal parasites? I have wondered that? Maybe by cooking them off.

                        Not by cooking them off; but by giving the reptile the ability to reach, and maintain its optimal body temperature; and a healthy immune system as a result of a good vitamin D3 status. It's when a reptile's immune system is compromised, that internal parasites can "bloom"; and sub-optimal temperatures in particular will severely depress a reptile's immune system, and in fact, all of its bodily functions. The gut will also function properly, with improved digestion and probably, although I'm guessing here, this will change the composition of the ingesta and the speed of transit through the intestines. I would imagine that could also have an impact on parasite burden.
                        UVB will, however, combat skin infections directly because of its anti-bacterial effect as well as the production of vitamin D.

                        > I have tried treating him with both albon and panacur. I guess that is really the only way? The sulfa drugs? I just ordered more acidophiliz to use with him also. Having issues getting him back to proper health and conquered his internal parasite issue. I believe he may have coccidia.

                        You definitely need to talk to a reptile vet about this.
                        What parasites did you identify in your fecal samples?
                        Did you see a massive coccidia count? Unless you did, personally I don't think you need to treat for coccidia (although some people would certainly disagree with me). Most dragons have a small number of Isospora amphiboluri - it's specific to beardies, and usually small numbers are harmless in a healthy beardie. I reared two baby beardies that, shortly after I bought them, had very heavy burdens; but I did not treat them, as they were healthy. I just became absolutely scrupulous about keeping them and their cage absolutely clean. Sure enough, once over the stress, and settled in, they threw off the lot and within a few months I could hardly find any in their feces.
                        Albon - still widely prescribed for coccidia - is very harsh on bearded dragons, I belong to the yahoo group "Pogona Diseases" and at one time many people were reporting serious anorexia after treatment with this.
                        Sulpha drugs are not advisable except as a last resort, because they can cause kidney damage in reptiles. Talk to a reptile vet about newer treatments; I believe there are some good ones coming on the market.
                        Panacur (fenbendazole) -for "pinworms" - is not hazardous and I have used it and seen no side effects at all. But small numbers of pinworms rarely cause problems.
                        If you are seeing flagellates in the fecal smears, neither Albon nor Panacur will help. You'll need a veterinary prescription.

                        If you need to find a reptile vet in Florida, check out these websites:
                        http://www.herpvetconnection.com/florida.shtml
                        http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html
                        http://www.arav.org/ECOMARAV/timssnet/amm/tnt_mdsearch.cfm

                        Good luck!