Re: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: New file from Matt Goetz - UV vision in Bats

  • nino maida
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2008
      Thank you for your information, especially that the information is from lab
      experiments.
      I have a last question (since I did not read the article), do these bats fly
      in the day time?
      -Nino

      On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:15 AM, sarina.wunderlich
      <Sarina_Wunderlich@...>wrote:

      > "The functional question is, do they currently use that sensitivity?"
      > The can not use it not. They just have ONE photoreceptor. And this
      > gives a signal when photons in the range of 300nm-800nm hit it.
      > The bat does not discriminate between red, green, blue and uv.
      >
      > There is uv in the light, some flowers reflect uv very strongly,
      > therefore bats can not do anything else but react to this uv light.
      >
      > (Or are you questioning wheather these bats do use their light vision
      > at all or fly through the sunset with "closed" eyes?)
      >
      > If you do not believe in this argumentation: I suppose you have read
      > the paper: The results are from behavioural experiments. Yes: the bat
      > in the laboratory did use that sensitivity ;-)
      >
      > @ Henry: I think the python you mentioned does see UV as a colour? So
      > it is somewhat different to the bat.
      > Sarina

    • henry brames
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2008
        yes they have a special uv-a cone

        gx henry

        --

        "half of life is spreadsheet calculation, the rest tango argentino....."

        NEU: dght reptilien stadtgruppe muenchen - herbst/winter programm 2008:

        unter http://www.qmvet.de .....stadtgruppeMUC

        more on reptiles, cows and sidesteps:

        http://www.qmvet.de

        this site is under permanent construction!
      • sarina.wunderlich
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2008
          Hi,
          > I have a last question (since I did not read the article), do these
          bats fly in the day time?

          It is just one mouseclick to you, to open the article that has been
          uploaded to the yahoo group. You do not need a university IP adress
          and do not have to pay for the article.
          You would just have to read the name of the bat in line 7 of the
          abstract, and enter it to any search engine. Is this little effort
          really too much?

          http://tinyurl.com/3uyfc8
          http://tinyurl.com/4drs2r

          They fly also in the twilight at sunset.

          Sarina
        • nino maida
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2008
            Thank you for the urls, Sarina; I will do as you suggest.
            I'm not sure of your intent with 'Is this little effort
            really too much?', since emails are toneless, but the phrase has some flavor
            to me that you are indicating anger that I did not readily understand how to
            get the article.
            I'd like to offer to you the idea that encouragement and cooperation instead
            of push-away builds a helpful community.
            -Nino

            On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:20 AM, sarina.wunderlich <
            Sarina_Wunderlich@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > > I have a last question (since I did not read the article), do these
            > bats fly in the day time?
            >
            > It is just one mouseclick to you, to open the article that has been
            > uploaded to the yahoo group. You do not need a university IP adress
            > and do not have to pay for the article.
            > You would just have to read the name of the bat in line 7 of the
            > abstract, and enter it to any search engine. Is this little effort
            > really too much?
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/3uyfc8
            > http://tinyurl.com/4drs2r
            >
            > They fly also in the twilight at sunset.
            >
            > Sarina

          • lilacdawndragon
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2008
              --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "nino maida" <ninoupte7@...>
              wrote:

              > I did not readily understand how to
              > get the article.

              Hi, Nino, Sarina, and other group members.

              Nino is right, it isn't actually at all obvious how to find our Files
              Section if you only access the group via email, rather than by
              visiting our Yahoo Groups website.

              I know of quite a few people who've been baffled by this. Matt Goetz
              didn't check the box which says "notify members of this new file
              upload" so there was no link supplied to it, sent out to folks on the
              mailing list. So many of you won't have known it had been put there..
              (In contrast to the one Bob Mac has just uploaded today...)

              If you receive your group mailings by email, and reply by email, too,
              you may not ever visit the website "base" at
              http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners
              to look at the Files, Photos and Message List.
              If you try to access it, you won't succeed viewing anything except
              the messages, either, unless you are "logged in" to your Yahoo
              account.
              This is off-putting if you don't know about it.

              But the Files section is well worth browsing, if you haven't visited
              it recently.

              Hope that helps!

              Frances
            • bobmac@reptileuv.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 11, 2008
                As a side point, who's spectrograph is used in that advertisement? I don't
                see anything that directs credits. So really my concern on how dangerous the
                energy distribution looks and how incorrect the explanation of the %'s of
                UVB to UVA and visible light may be un warranted if its just an artist
                rendition and is not based of factual readings. It has a very similar look
                to the Mystic spectrograph that in had the Finland lab do back in 2003
                though that's in the files section on the group.

                Best Regards,
                BobMacCargar
                <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com
                <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com

                If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
                Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/> www.IRCF.org
                The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles
                and the
                natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.