Report on Reptile UV 60 watt IR heat emitter

  • rallen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I just received one of these the other day. It replaced yet another CHE that
      comittied suicide. In my case the 250 watt CHE was still working, but while
      unscrewing it from the socket it literally fell apart in a shower of ceramic
      fragments around the join to the socket. Great. Nice fire hazard....

      So I put in the 60 watt (that's 60 vs 250 watt CHE!) and warmed it up.
      Within a few minutes it was as warm or warmer at 12" as the 250watt che.
      Opinion is out as to what Cazic thinks about it, but he's no more or less
      enthused about it than the CHE. I have both in front of a window and it's
      the weather outside that determines whether he'll come down to bask under
      the mega ray and IR emitter or not. At the very least I've gone from funding
      250 watts in energy bill per day to 60, so I'm happy.

      Tonight I did a more interesting test. I fired up the IR emitter at night
      and observed it with a Gen 3 night vision device. This is on par with what
      the troops are using in the military and gives the expected green toned
      image. Within a minute or so of warming up, the IR emitter bulb DOES emit
      light visible to a device capable of seeing both IR and minute visible
      light. I've been trying to find what the range of the image tube is with no
      luck but it's on par with a Gen 3 PVS-7B. So it's not surprising to me that
      the claim I've read somewhere that animals may be "drawn" to the ReptileUV
      IR emitter may be true. It's certainly emitting at least some light either
      in the IR or UV (I can't tell which) which some reptiles will probably be
      able to see.

      Cool stuff :) I look forward to the drop in my monthly electical bill
      between 60 and 250 watts 12 hours a day.

    • nino maida
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        Thanks, Rallen, for the detailed report.
        Does the Mega-Ray heat lamp have an expected lifespan?
        Is the lamp front covered to protect the lizard from contact?
        What is the price of the lamp (I didn't see the cost on the web site)?
        Thanks, Nino.