Thanks

  • Michael Capek
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
      Hi I´m new here, I just want to thank you all for this amazing work
      you´re doing and of course thanks to lizardtail1 and
      bmaccargar for sending me lamps and solarmeter.
      This is great work you´re doing for reptiles...
      Here I have some my own measurements, maybe look at it just for fun :)
      cause all these lamps were brand new (I waited only 30 minutes after
      I´ve plugged them).
      http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mike_the_mad_dog/lights.jpg

      Bye Mike
    • Jimmy
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008
        Hey Mike

        Glad when you got your order of megarays and 6.2 meter, those reading
        you took are interesting to read.

        talk to you later
        Jimmy

        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Capek"
        <michaelcapek@...> wrote:

        > Hi I´m new here, I just want to thank you all for this amazing work
        > you´re doing and of course thanks to lizardtail1 and
        > bmaccargar for sending me lamps and solarmeter.
        > This is great work you´re doing for reptiles...
        > Here I have some my own measurements, maybe look at it just for fun :)
        > cause all these lamps were brand new (I waited only 30 minutes after
        > I´ve plugged them).
        > http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mike_the_mad_dog/lights.jpg
        >
        > Bye Mike

      • lilacdawndragon
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
          Hi, Michael.
          Welcome to UV_Meter_Owners Forum.
          Great work!
          Thanks for posting all your results.

          I've sent you an email off list, too, I hope you get it ok.
          Best wishes
          Frances

        • bobmac@reptileuv.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 9, 2008
            Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important if no m
            ore important then the start numbers…… I’m guessing that you don’t have a
            MegaRay Metal Halide? www.megaray.co.uk will provide you with a test kit
            soon if you ask Darren for one. You may consider the “foot print” when
            testing bulbs as well. Like a “spot” lamp has a very small LUX and UV “foot
            print” a standard flood light has a very large “footprint” and a “narrow
            flood” has a more prominent UV gradient yet the LUX and heat is not as
            pronounced.

            Best Regards,
            BobMacCargar
            <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com
            <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com

            If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
            Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/> www.IRCF.org
            The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles
            and the
            natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.
            I've sent you an email off list, too, I hope you get it ok.
            Best wishes
            Frances

            --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael Capek"
            <michaelcapek@...> wrote:

            > Hi I´m new here, I just want to thank you all for this amazing work
            > you´re doing and of course thanks to lizardtail1 and
            > bmaccargar for sending me lamps and solarmeter.
            > This is great work you´re doing for reptiles...
            > Here I have some my own measurements, maybe look at it just for fun :)
            > cause all these lamps were brand new (I waited only 30 minutes after
            > I´ve plugged them).
            > http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mike_the_mad_dog/lights.jpg
            >
            > Bye Mike

          • Oliver Fischer
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 10, 2008
              "> Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important if no m
              > ore important then the start numbers…… I’m guessing that you don’t
              > have a MegaRay Metal Halide?"

              Hello,

              -> so the Metal Halide will just get released so it's hard for private persons to get any long-time results..
              I expect that Frances will publish her measurements of the Mega Ray MH at the same time the blub will be released:
              Is this so?
              And are there also any long-term measurements?

              From my side I have about one year of experience with the Metal Halide "Bright Sun UV".
              To be better than this lamp, the following points are important:
              - less unnatural low uv-b wavelengths.
              - no changes in spectrum during lifetime. sometimes the metal halides have suddenly visible changes of color althougt the uv-b value has not obligatory to be affected.
              (the lamp e.g., shines more red).

              Kind regards!
              oliver from aqua-terra-world Switzerland

              Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx
            • Michael Capek
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 11, 2008
                Hi,
                the tested lamps aren´t all mine, so I had to measured them only when
                they were new.
                Personally I´m using Osram Ultravitaluxes300W, MegaRays100W SB and I
                could measure T-rex100W flood, some compacts and Bright Sun Desert MHs
                from Lucky Reptile at my friends.
                So I´ll do some measures when possible :o)
                But I don´t have the "right" UVI meter and I don´t have LUX meter yet
                (UVI meter is ordered and LUX meter I´ll be ordering soon, cause I´ve
                finally set up paypal). The UVI readings in my masurement aren´t
                exact, cause my UV senzor measures UVB and UVA both. So I´m waiting fo
                Solarmeter.
                I´ll write Darren for gettin new Megaray MH. I´m looking forward to
                them like a small boy.
                At the end, I hope I´ve got the therm "footprint" understanded right,
                cause this therm is above my knowledge of english language :o)
                Thank you
                Mike

                --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, <bobmac@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important if
                no m
                > ore important then the start numbers…… I'm guessing that you don't
                have a
                > MegaRay Metal Halide? www.megaray.co.uk will provide you with a test kit
                > soon if you ask Darren for one. You may consider the "foot print" when
                > testing bulbs as well. Like a "spot" lamp has a very small LUX and
                UV "foot
                > print" a standard flood light has a very large "footprint" and a "narrow
                > flood" has a more prominent UV gradient yet the LUX and heat is not as
                > pronounced.
                >
                > Best Regards,
                > BobMacCargar
                > <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com
                > <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com
                >
                > If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
                > Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/> www.IRCF.org
                > The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve
                reptiles
                > and the
                > natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.

              • Michael Capek
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 11, 2008
                  "- no changes in spectrum during lifetime. sometimes the metal halides
                  have suddenly visible changes of color althougt the uv-b value has not
                  obligatory to be affected."

                  Hi,
                  you probably understands it much more better than me, cause I have no
                  longtherm experiences with Bright Suns.

                  But I thing there is a big difference between electromagnetic ballast
                  and electronic ballast for these lamps. Electronic ballast is more
                  expensive but it keeps the best spectrum for much more longer than
                  electromagnetic ballast. Also consume less energy.

                  How I´ve said before, you probably know it better than me.
                  I hope Megaray MHs will have electronic ballast too.... ;}

                  --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Oliver Fischer"
                  <om.fischer@...> wrote:

                  > "> Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important
                  if no m
                  > > ore important then the start numbers…… I'm guessing that you don't
                  > > have a MegaRay Metal Halide?"
                  >

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > -> so the Metal Halide will just get released so it's hard for
                  private persons to get any long-time results..
                  > I expect that Frances will publish her measurements of the Mega Ray
                  MH at the same time the blub will be released:
                  > Is this so?
                  > And are there also any long-term measurements?
                  >
                  > From my side I have about one year of experience with the Metal
                  Halide "Bright Sun UV".
                  > To be better than this lamp, the following points are important:
                  > - less unnatural low uv-b wavelengths.
                  > - no changes in spectrum during lifetime. sometimes the metal
                  halides have suddenly visible changes of color althougt the uv-b value
                  has not obligatory to be affected.
                  > (the lamp e.g., shines more red).
                  >
                  > Kind regards!
                  > oliver from aqua-terra-world Switzerland
                  >

                  > --
                  > GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
                  > Jetzt dabei sein:
                  http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

                • sean46877
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 11, 2008
                    I'm thinking you have this taken care of Bob, but is there a fuse or
                    something in the MH MegaRay that prevents the bulb from working if
                    the outer glass is broken? something like the MegaRay MVB.
                    Thanks.

                    Sean
                    4.1 green iguanas
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/ourigs

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 11, 2008
                      Hi Michael

                      Yes, you're right, I always recommend elecronic ballasts too and use only this kind.

                      For the UV Bright Sun MH the manufacturer has both kind of ballasts in his range. The elctronic one has about the double price.

                      I don't know what is intended for the Mega Ray MH, but I would expect an elctronic one too.

                      Kind regards!

                    • drache613
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 15, 2008
                        Hello!
                        Thanks for posting those results. :-))

                        Tracie

                        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy" <lizardtail1@...>

                      • bobmac@reptileuv.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 20, 2008
                          Come on now, do I sell cheap crap? The first protos did not. But production
                          will. The first large production will be unleashed at the ARAV/AZZV
                          convention in LA on Oct 14. These will still have the heavy long base though
                          because we need to reset the inlet tubes to accept the normal e27 short
                          base. But the glass and arc tubes are the same as the ones Frances has
                          already tested.

                          The Lucky Reptile China bulb is the standard halogen type with the epoxy
                          front glass. No way to create a vacuum in the bulb to put in a fuse. Still,
                          with heavy glass like they use, as we do, its very unlikely that the outer
                          envelope would ever break anyway in all fairness.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 20, 2008
                            >>At the end, I hope I´ve got the therm "footprint" understanded right,
                            cause this therm is above my knowledge of english language :o) <<

                            Foot print is the area the light covers. In this case we are interested in
                            the area the UV covers and how the “gradient” of uv is diminished.

                          • Robert MacCargar
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 20, 2008
                              From my side I have about one year of experience with the Metal Halide "Bright Sun UV". To be better than this lamp, the following points are important:- less unnatural low uv-b wavelengths.- no changes in spectrum during lifetime. sometimes the metal halides have suddenly visible changes of color althougt the uv-b value has not obligatory to be affected. (the lamp e.g., shines more red).

                              I have 2 years experience with working with this company. if i was happy with the way the bulb turned out, i could buy it for under 4 bucks US. i was not happy with the bulb. as you mentioned, it had to much lower UV. Frances commented on the "proto types" that i sent her. the only bulbs with any real UVB value were the PAR30 spot lamps. the foot print was extremely small as all spots are, specially the Par30 and the decay was way to high.

                              don't get me wrong here. in no way am i saying that this is a dangerous bulb. its just that in our humble opinion, the MegaRay Halide is extremely superior and has been tested over my personal animals and those of very close friends with excellent qualifications. it was thoroughly tested by Frances. as always, ReptileUV has the animals in mind first and foremost and will always have the best quality and animal comes first and profit (if any) comes last. (my account can attest to that)BobMac http://www.reptileuv.com http://www.reptileuvinfo.comhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/ If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International ReptileConservation Foundation (IRCF) at www.IRCF.orgThe International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles and the natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.

                              To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com; UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.comFrom: om.fischer@...: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:27:04 +0200Subject: Re: RE: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Thanks

                              "> Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important if no m> ore important then the start numbers�� I�m guessing that you don�t> have a MegaRay Metal Halide?"Hello,-> so the Metal Halide will just get released so it's hard for private persons to get any long-time results.. I expect that Frances will publish her measurements of the Mega Ray MH at the same time the blub will be released: Is this so? And are there also any long-term measurements?From my side I have about one year of experience with the Metal Halide "Bright Sun UV". To be better than this lamp, the following points are important:- less unnatural low uv-b wavelengths.- no changes in spectrum during lifetime. sometimes the metal halides have suddenly visible changes of color althougt the uv-b value has not obligatory to be affected. (the lamp e.g., shines more red).Kind regards!oliver from aqua-terra-world Switzerland-- GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 22, 2008
                                Oct 14 ??
                                Ok! will we also be able to purchase them from your web site at that time?
                                -Nino

                              • tractorboydarren
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 22, 2008
                                  I feel like the cat that's got the cream i have one of the proto-type
                                  bulbs i am using it over a very special group of Egyptian Tortoises,
                                  these guys LOVE IT - activity is high, appetites are huge, and
                                  although still on the young side the male testosterone is flowing.
                                  The enclosure is large so I supplement with full spectrum tubes, and
                                  a ceramic heater for supplementary heat. When these bulbs hit the
                                  market grab them that are fantastic !!!!

                                  darren

                                  --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "nino maida" <ninoupte7@...>

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 22, 2008
                                    Westron needs to manufacture a huge quanty of 220-240 MegaRays before going into full Halide production, but we will have a limited amount and will strat taking orders at that time.BobMac http://www.reptileuv.com http://www.reptileuvinfo.comhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/ If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International ReptileConservation Foundation (IRCF) at www.IRCF.orgThe International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles and the natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.

                                    To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.comFrom: ninoupte7@...: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:52:29 -0700Subject: Re: [UVB_Meter_Owners] MH bulbs

                                    Oct 14 ??Ok! will we also be able to purchase them from your web site at that time?-NinoOn Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM, <bobmac@...> wrote:> Come on now, do I sell cheap crap? The first protos did not. But> production> will. The first large production will be unleashed at the ARAV/AZZV> convention in LA on Oct 14. These will still have the heavy long base> though> because we need to reset the inlet tubes to accept the normal e27 short> base. But the glass and arc tubes are the same as the ones Frances has> already tested.>> The Lucky Reptile China bulb is the standard halogen type with the epoxy> front glass. No way to create a vacuum in the bulb to put in a fuse. Still,> with heavy glass like they use, as we do, its very unlikely that the outer> envelope would ever break anyway in all fairness.>> Best Regards,> BobMacCargar> <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com> <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/>> If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile> Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/> www.IRCF.org> The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve> reptiles> and the> natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.> From: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> [mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>]> On Behalf Of sean46877> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:07 PM> To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com <UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> Subject: [UVB_Meter_Owners] MH bulbs>> I'm thinking you have this taken care of Bob, but is there a fuse or> something in the MH MegaRay that prevents the bulb from working if> the outer glass is broken? something like the MegaRay MVB.> Thanks.>> Sean> 4.1 green iguanas> http://community.webshots.com/user/ourigs>> --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%2540yahoogroups.com>>> , <bobmac@...> wrote:> >> > Hi Mike, could you post decay levels. These are just as important> if no m> > ore important then the start numbers.. I'm guessing that you don't> have a> > MegaRay Metal Halide? www.megaray.co.uk will provide you with a> test kit> > soon if you ask Darren for one. You may consider the "foot print"> when> > testing bulbs as well. Like a "spot" lamp has a very small LUX and> UV "foot> > print" a standard flood light has a very large "footprint" and> a "narrow> > flood" has a more prominent UV gradient yet the LUX and heat is not> as> > pronounced.> >> > Best Regards,> > BobMacCargar> > <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com> > <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/>> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/> >> > If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International> Reptile> > Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/>> www.IRCF.org> > The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve> reptiles> > and the> > natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.> > From: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%2540yahoogroups.com>>>> > [mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%2540yahoogroups.com>>> ] On Behalf Of> lilacdawndragon> > Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 10:36 AM> > To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%2540yahoogroups.com>>>> > Subject: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Thanks>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                  • Michael Capek
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 22, 2008
                                      I´m looking on the pictures of MH which Jimmy added...I think I´ll buy
                                      them all :o))
                                      May I have some question? What is the colour temp. of new MH MegaRays?
                                      As I´ve undestand, it simulates full shiny day, so it can be about
                                      6000K ??
                                      thanks

                                      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Robert MacCargar
                                      <robertmaccargar@...> wrote:

                                      > Westron needs to manufacture a huge quanty of 220-240 MegaRays
                                      before going into full Halide production, but we will have a limited
                                      amount and will strat taking orders at that time.BobMac
                                      http://www.reptileuv.com
                                      If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International
                                      ReptileConservation Foundation (IRCF) at www.IRCF.orgThe International
                                      Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles and the
                                      natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.

                                      > To: UVB_Meter_Owners@...: ninoupte7@...: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:52:29
                                      -0700Subject: Re: [UVB_Meter_Owners] MH bulbs

                                      From:
                                      To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com

                                      ] On Behalf Of> lilacdawndragon> > Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008
                                      10:36 AM> > To:
                                      UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>>
                                      <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com<UVB_Meter_Owners%2540yahoogroups.com>>>>
                                      > Subject: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Thanks>>> [Non-text portions of this
                                      message have been removed]>> >[Non-text portions of this message have
                                      been removed]

                                    • bobmac@reptileuv.com

                                        I´m looking on the pictures of MH which Jimmy added...I think I´ll buy
                                        them all :o))
                                        May I have some question? What is the colour temp. of new MH MegaRays?
                                        As I´ve undestand, it simulates full shiny day, so it can be about
                                        6000K ??
                                        thanks

                                        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com
                                        <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com> , Robert MacCargar

                                        From:
                                        UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com

                                        ] On Behalf Of> lilacdawndragon> > Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008
                                        10:36 AM> > To:

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 23, 2008
                                          "Testing by the UV Guide shows 57K."

                                          That´s great, thx.