Re: Question regarding new Zilla flourescent & Halogen combo

  • Alsgard
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi there,

      Recently I was poking around Hagen's Zilla site because we always ask
      new members to our bearded dragon group about their lighting
      arrangemnt, and her mini-compact fixtures gave me more questions than
      I started with..

      There actually IS a pdf file on their site warning the consumer about
      the phototherapy phosphor used in their desert 50 series products, but
      a link to it only appears on this page detailing that version of their
      linear T5 models-
      or- http://tinyurl.com/5wrkcq

      Here's a direct link to the pdf-
      or- http://tinyurl.com/6bt5kj

      I'll save you the trouble of looking up the SKUs in their product line
      by pointing out that the new circular halogen combo fixture (in a dome
      style we trust?) and their mini compact dual-lamp deal are NOT in the
      recall list, even though both are only available in the "desert 50"
      series. All SKUs in the recall list are current, so this product line
      apparently hasn't changed yet. Something tells me the mini-compact
      lamps could be a holdover from the old Exo-Terra line, and the new
      circular deal may be made at the same factory. It's all Chinese
      afterall, so it's quite possible (and probable) that the Zilla
      lighting line could come from several different manufacturers.

      So if the curcular/compact tubes appear fairly white when lit (vs.
      purple/blue), I would venture to guess that they do not use the
      dangerous phototherapy phosphors. Of course I wouldn't consider either
      fixture to be much use on anything but the smallest habitats in that

      Anyway I just thought I'd share some observations on this, hope they
      help in some way!

    • bobmac@reptileuv.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Sep 16, 2008
        Jimmy, Lucky Lizards Bulb had a minus 3% (-3%) decay in the 4 months had
        had it before you. it was set at 18" over his basking area combined with a
        MegaHeat to get the 95-100 degrees I was looking for.

        Best Regards,
        <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuv.com
        <http://www.reptileuv.com/> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com

        If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
        Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at <http://www.ircf.org/> www.IRCF.org
        The International Reptile Conservation Foundation works to conserve reptiles
        and the
        natural habitats and ecosystems that support them.