Re: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Tubes - Reptisun 10.0, ReptiGlo 10.0, Arcadia D3+ 12%

  • Martin Dann
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
      On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:04:58 -0000
      "lilacdawndragon" <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

      > Horsfields are not a tropical species and will
      > benefit from an outdoor life in most temperate climates through the
      > warmer seasons...

      I found one of mine wandering about the fridge the other day, wide awake.
      The temperature in the fridge was 4.7C! He's up, eating heartily and
      wondering where the girls have got to! I find that my Horsfields will go
      outside to feed in temperatures as low as 10C providing the sun is out
      and it's dry. Hardy little b's!

      --
      Martin
    • lepinsky2000
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
        Hi Frances, and thanks so much for that really informative answer to
        my posting! Just to clarify -- my horsfield does indeed have an
        outdoor enclosure, but it doesn't have an independent heat source in
        it, so at this time of year -- and later in the autumn -- when it is
        cold and rainy, she spends a good deal of time indoors (with forays
        out when the sun is shining). In the summer she is out all the time -
        - so lots of natural sunlight then, unless I have to go away (which is
        not often), and then, again, she unfortunately has to go into her
        indoor enclosure for security reasons (and of course in the winter she
        is hibernating).

        I found what you said about the ReptiGlo particularly interesting. I
        have no idea if I could sense (without a UVB meter) that the
        wavelength of this tube is different from the ReptiSun 10, and less
        like sunlight, but I did like the ReptiSun better and never knew why.
        I think I will go back to that one, and will consider the Arcadia 12%
        for the future.

        I am so grateful that you are testing these tubes for us - it really
        is an invaluable contribution to the tort-keeping community, and I am
        constantly referring people to the UV Guide website.

        Nina

        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "lilacdawndragon"
        <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > tortoise's exposed legs, neck and head when he's basking... the UVB
        > doesn't go through his shell!
        >
        > The ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0 has a rather different spectrum from these
        > two. It produces an apparently similar total UVB but a higher UV
        > Index - but the higher UV Index is because the spectrum is not so
        > similar to sunlight. The UVB includes some very-low-wavelength, more
        > biologically-active UVB, below that normally found in natural
        > sunlight. There have been occasional reports of eye problems with
        > this tube when the reptile has been able to get close to the tube -
        > this low wavelength light is more hazardous to living cells than the
        > higher wavelengths found in sunlight. So if you choose to use these
        > tubes, be particularly aware of this and be especially careful to
        > keep the tube at least six inches above, maybe 8 - 10 inches.... I
        > don't use these tubes myself because the long-term effects of small
        > amounts of very low wavelength light are not known. However, it has
        > to be said that many people have used these tubes with no apparent
        > ill effects.
        >
        > Here are some figures for newly-burned-in tubes (105hrs burn).
        >
        > Arcadia D3+ 12% Reptile 15watt 18-inch T8 tube :
        > 8ins: total UVB 62µW/cm² UVI 1.9
        > 12ins: total UVB 35µW/cm² UVI 1.0
        >
        > ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 20watt 24-inch T12 tube:
        > 8ins: total UVB 47µW/cm² UVI 1.5
        > 12ins: total UVB 28µW/cm² UVI 0.8
        >
        > ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0 20watt 24-inch T8 tube:
        > 8ins: total UVB 42µW/cm² UVI 2.6
        > 12ins: total UVB 25µW/cm² UVI 1.6
        >
        > I'm sorry that I haven't updated the UV Guide website.
        > It's on my list of things to do, of course... but people keep sending
        > me more and more new lamps to test!... and there just aren't enough
        > hours in a day...
        >
        > Frances
        >
        > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "lepinsky2000"
        > <nina_curtis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is my first posting on this list, but I've been a member for a
        > > couple of years and try and read most of what is posted (I don't
        > own a
        > > UVB meter and so feel a bit embarrassed about posting on a list that
        > > is obviously for people who do own them <g>).
        > >
        > > I have a horsfield tortoise and it's time to replace her UVB tube.
        > > noticed the discussion last month about the new Arcadia D3 12% tube,
        > > and the fact that the initial tests are looking favourable. I've
        > used
        > > the ReptiSun 10.0 in the past, and more recently the ReptiGlo
        > 10.0.
        > >
        > > My first question is whether there is any difference between the two
        > > in terms of output and decay (for some reason I've been happier with
        > > the ReptiSun, but can't put my finger on why, and I can't find
        > results
        > > for the ReptiGlo 10 on the UV Guide UK).
        > >
        > > My second question is whether it would be advisable to buy the
        > Arcadia
        > > 12% tube (i.e. do people feel the higher UVB output would be

      • drache613
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2008
          Hello,

          I just wanted to add that with all of the people that I help on
          forums, that almost 100% of the time, if they are using the Reptiglo
          10 or have used it, & they switch to either the Reptisun 10 or the
          Arcadia D3 that they have seen a complete turnaround.
          I have even seen a dragon that has been under a Reptiglo 10 for 5
          months begin to develop Metabolic bone disease, as the person had the
          light 12 inches away so he was not getting good enough quality of
          UVB. So, the better lights DO make a huge difference.:-))
          I know Frances is doing her best to get everything tested, too.

          Tracie

          <nina_curtis@...> wrote:

> [...]
          tube.
          > > > noticed the discussion last month about the new Arcadia D3 12%
          tube,
          > > > and the fact that the initial tests are looking favourable.
          I've
          > > used
          > > > the ReptiSun 10.0 in the past, and more recently the ReptiGlo
          > > 10.0.
          > > >
          > > > My first question is whether there is any difference between
          the two
          > > > in terms of output and decay (for some reason I've been happier
          with
          > > > the ReptiSun, but can't put my finger on why, and I can't find
          > > results
          > > > for the ReptiGlo 10 on the UV Guide UK).
          > > >
          > > > My second question is whether it would be advisable to buy the
          > > Arcadia
          > > > 12% tube (i.e. do people feel the higher UVB output would be

        • steve
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 17, 2008
            Tracy: They are called "lamps" not lights or bulbs".

            --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "drache613" <JKretzs@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > amounts of very low wavelength light are not known. However, it
            > has
            > > > to be said that many people have used these tubes with no
            > apparent
            > > > ill effects.
            > > >
            > > > Here are some figures for newly-burned-in tubes (105hrs burn).
            > > >
            > > > Arcadia D3+ 12% Reptile 15watt 18-inch T8 tube :
            > > > 8ins: total UVB 62µW/cm² UVI 1.9
            > > > 12ins: total UVB 35µW/cm² UVI 1.0
            > > >
            > > > ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 20watt 24-inch T12 tube:
            > > > 8ins: total UVB 47µW/cm² UVI 1.5
            > > > 12ins: total UVB 28µW/cm² UVI 0.8
            > > >
            > > > ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0 20watt 24-inch T8 tube:
            > > > 8ins: total UVB 42µW/cm² UVI 2.6
            > > > 12ins: total UVB 25µW/cm² UVI 1.6
            > > >
            > > > I'm sorry that I haven't updated the UV Guide website.
            > > > It's on my list of things to do, of course... but people keep
            > sending
            > > > me more and more new lamps to test!... and there just aren't

          • maria_mimmih
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21, 2008
              What uvb-tubes do you recommend for water turtles if you want a tube
              with a lot of uvb? For T8? For T5?

              I am trying to find out different alternatives for lighting. Right
              now the alternative with a basking lamp that only gives UVA, a day
              light tube or lamp and an UV tube. The tube shall be above the
              basking place.

              With best regards from Maria

              <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

> [...]

              tube.
              > > noticed the discussion last month about the new Arcadia D3 12%
              tube,
              > > and the fact that the initial tests are looking favourable.
              I've
              > used
              > > the ReptiSun 10.0 in the past, and more recently the ReptiGlo
              > 10.0.
              > >
              > > My first question is whether there is any difference between the
              two
              > > in terms of output and decay (for some reason I've been happier
              with
              > > the ReptiSun, but can't put my finger on why, and I can't find
              > results
              > > for the ReptiGlo 10 on the UV Guide UK).
              > >
              > > My second question is whether it would be advisable to buy the
              > Arcadia
              > > 12% tube (i.e. do people feel the higher UVB output would be

            • lilacdawndragon
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 23, 2008
                Personally, I'd suggest you might like to consider the ones which I
                described below as having a good "sunlike" UVB spectrum for
                Horsfield's Tortoises...
                These are available as T8 lamps.

                I am not aware of any T5 lamps currently available in Europe for
                supplying UVB to reptiles.
                The only T5 I have tested for UVB was the R-Zilla Desert 50 T5 lamp
                from the USA. This was emitting dangerous levels of low-wavelength
                UVB and should not be used in a vivarium. R-Zilla say that they have
                stopped distributing these, but unfortunately there are still some
                available in pet stores and even advertised on the internet....

                The trouble I see with T5 lamps is that, like compact lamps, the
                output is very intense at the lamp surface. To get a decent amount of
                UVB at a sensible basking distance, you have extremely high levels at
                point-blank range. This makes a close approach hazardous even if the
                spectrum is relatively "sunlike" and therefore safer... but if they
                contain a 'phototherapy phosphor' with very low-wavelength UVB, this
                is asking for trouble.

                Frances

                --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "maria_mimmih"
                <angsvadd50@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > sunny
                > > day in the UK.
                > > As with ALL fluorescent tubes, they should also be hung above the
                > > tortoise, not sideways to him - but this isn't because the UVB is
                > > necessarily dangerous, it is because the glare of the light
                > shining
                > > straight in his eyes is stressful (like driving a car into the
                > sunset)
                > > and over time, bright light shining in the eyes, especially in
                the
                > > visible blue wavelengths, can be harmful to the retina (in humans
                > at
                > > least). They should also be placed right over the warm basking
                > spot
                > > since the synthesis of vitamin D3 takes place in warm skin of the
                > > tortoise's exposed legs, neck and head when he's basking... the
              • maria_mimmih
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 24, 2008
                  Thank you very much.

                  I wonder if it emittes too much UVB if you use
                  Mega Ray 100 W above the basking spot and
                  a day light tube and
                  an UVB tube Arcadia D3+ 12% Reptile or ZooMed Reptisun 10.0
                  over the water surface?

                  I would like to have UVB over the water too, I think it is good for
                  the plants, and perhaps in the water surface where it is warmer the
                  turtle can get some use of the UVB?

                  Best regards from Maria

                  <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  the
                  > > > tortoise, not sideways to him - but this isn't because the UVB
                  is
                  > > > necessarily dangerous, it is because the glare of the light
                  > > shining
                  > > > straight in his eyes is stressful (like driving a car into the
                  > > sunset)
                  > > > and over time, bright light shining in the eyes, especially in
                  > the
                  > > > visible blue wavelengths, can be harmful to the retina (in
                  humans
                  > > at
                  > > > least). They should also be placed right over the warm basking
                  > > spot
                  > > > since the synthesis of vitamin D3 takes place in warm skin of
                  the
                  > > > tortoise's exposed legs, neck and head when he's basking...

                • maria_mimmih
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 24, 2008
                    I would like to add some information:
                    Does it gets too much UVB if the uvb tube shines above the whole
                    length of the aquarium, so that the basking spot gets UVB both from
                    Mega Ray 100 W and from one of the UV-tubes you, Frances,
                    recommended?

                    <angsvadd50@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > point-blank range. This makes a close approach hazardous even if
                    > the
                    > > spectrum is relatively "sunlike" and therefore safer... but if
                    > they
                    > > contain a 'phototherapy phosphor' with very low-wavelength UVB,
                    > this
                    > > is asking for trouble.
                    > >
                    > > Frances
                    > >

                    > > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "maria_mimmih"
                    > > <angsvadd50@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > What uvb-tubes do you recommend for water turtles if you want
                    > > tube
                    > > > with a lot of uvb? For T8? For T5?
                    > > >
                    > > > I am trying to find out different alternatives for lighting.
                    > Right
                    > > > now the alternative with a basking lamp that only gives UVA, a
                    > day
                    > > > light tube or lamp and an UV tube. The tube shall be above the

                  • maria_mimmih
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2008
                      Is the compact a good light source too - ReptiSun™ 10.0 Compact
                      Fluorescent?

                      /Maria

                      <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      tube.
                      > > noticed the discussion last month about the new Arcadia D3 12%
                      tube,
                      > > and the fact that the initial tests are looking favourable.
                      I've
                      > used
                      > > the ReptiSun 10.0 in the past, and more recently the ReptiGlo
                      > 10.0.
                      > >
                      > > My first question is whether there is any difference between the
                      two
                      > > in terms of output and decay (for some reason I've been happier
                      with
                      > > the ReptiSun, but can't put my finger on why, and I can't find
                      > results
                      > > for the ReptiGlo 10 on the UV Guide UK).
                      > >
                      > > My second question is whether it would be advisable to buy the
                      > Arcadia
                      > > 12% tube (i.e. do people feel the higher UVB output would be

                    • lilacdawndragon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 11, 2008
                        Maria, this compact lamp is featured here:
                        www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

                        Please read this and you'll then need to make up your own mind as to
                        whether this lamp is suitable for use with a reptile....

                        ZooMed are working on a replacement for this lamp but it is not in
                        production yet, only in the prototype stage, as far as I know. All
                        existing ZooMed Reptisun COMPACT LAMPS (very different to their TUBES)
                        are of the phosphor type described in that website article.

                        All the best

                        <angsvadd50@...> wrote:

                        > Is the compact a good light source too - ReptiSun™ 10.0 Compact
                        > Fluorescent?
                        >
                        > /Maria

                      • windingroadep3
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 11, 2008
                          Avoid the lamp if you can.

                          It is bad news.

                          Kevin

                          <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

                          > Maria, this compact lamp is featured here:
                          > www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm
                          >
                          > Please read this and you'll then need to make up your own mind as to
                          > whether this lamp is suitable for use with a reptile....
                          >
                          > ZooMed are working on a replacement for this lamp but it is not in
                          > production yet, only in the prototype stage, as far as I know. All
                          > existing ZooMed Reptisun COMPACT LAMPS (very different to their TUBES)
                          > are of the phosphor type described in that website article.
                          >
                          > All the best
                          > Frances
                          >

                          > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "maria_mimmih"
                          > <angsvadd50@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Is the compact a good light source too - ReptiSun™ 10.0 Compact
                          > > Fluorescent?
                          > >
                          > > /Maria

                        • maria_mimmih
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2008