Re: 6.2 uv-b readings greece may 2007

  • steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      For noon sunny - I'd expect closer to 400 in late May near 37‹N.
      There must have been a lot of water vapour and/or haze in the
      atmosphere? Or - you were not out in an open area away from buildings
      and trees obstructing full sky view.

      What latitude do you live at? What does the meter read at solar noon
      clear blue sky there?

      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, henry brames
      <henry.brames@...> wrote:

      > some readings:
      >
      > blue sky noon 300
      >
      > cloudy 150
      > heavy clouds 50
      > shade 50
      >
      > gx henrybrames
      >
      > --
      >

      > "half of life is spreadsheet calculation, the rest mixed
      calculation.."

      > Wichtig: neue dght stadtgruppe - neues programm:
      >
      > unter http://www.qmvet.de rubrik stadtgruppe
      >

      > more on cows, reptiles and sidesteps:
      >
      > NEW UPDATE: http://www.qmvet.de
      >
      > this site is under permanent construction!

    • henry brames
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        steve schrieb:

        > For noon sunny - I'd expect closer to 400 in late May near 37?
        > There must have been a lot of water vapour and/or haze in the
        > atmosphere? Or - you were not out in an open area away from buildings
        > and trees obstructing full sky view.
        >
        > What latitude do you live at? What does the meter read at solar noon
        > clear blue sky there?
        >
        > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:UVB_Meter_Owners%40yahoogroups.com>, henry brames
        > <henry.brames@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > some readings:
        > >
        > > blue sky noon 300
        > >
        > > cloudy 150
        > > heavy clouds 50
        > > shade 50
        > >
        > > gx henrybrames
        > >
        > > --
        > >

        > > "half of life is spreadsheet calculation, the rest mixed
        > calculation.."
        > >

        > > Wichtig: neue dght stadtgruppe - neues programm:
        > >
        > > unter http://www.qmvet.de <http://www.qmvet.de> rubrik stadtgruppe
        > >

        > > more on cows, reptiles and sidesteps:
        > >
        > > NEW UPDATE: http://www.qmvet.de <http://www.qmvet.de>
        > >
        > > this site is under permanent construction!

        yes it was unusual much raining the days before and it was close to the
        sea and at sea level.
        typical herps on andros:
        podarcis taurica; lacerta trilineata; hemidactylus turcicus; vipera
        ammodytes; coluber and elaphe spec
        natrix natrix and tesselata and clemmys rivulata

        i live at munich (1736 ft / 529 m; 48.1° N 11.7° E ) but there is no
        full blue sky there. at the moment it is raining
        and temperature dropped from good 80 to 50 °F (30 to 15 °C). so you
        hardly can see the sun thru grey clouds and the reading is 30 in the
        afternoon.

        typical herps there:

        vipera berus; zootoca vivipara; lacerta agilis; natrix natrix; anguis
        fragilis; and trachemys scripta elegans :-)

        gx henry

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          OK - I've noticed same thing when in Florida near the ocean. Waves
          spewing vapor into air cuts direct sky UVB down about 20-25%. But
          diffused UVB (pointing meter many directions away from sun) is
          actually higher than away from the sea. So people still sunburn.
          Albedo from sand water is of course higher too.

          Hope you get some nice weather soon... especially as June 21 nears.
          Even up at 48 degrees north you should see 350+ uW/cm² when sky is a
          deep blue color. Pale blue is less.