Re: T5 High Output UVB Test - IMPORTANT - MAY BE UNSAFE?

  • lilacdawndragon
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2007
      Well.... goodness me...we got what we asked for! ...and more than we
      bargained for!

      ESU (now "Zilla") heard us! They have at last changed their fixtures
      with those old plastic covers, which let through no UVB, for ones
      with proper UV-transmitting acrylic which lets through 85 - 90%.

      They have also put highly polished aluminium reflectors into the
      fixtures, which as we know, will effectively double the UVB output of
      the tube.

      But now we have to be concerned in case there is too much UVB!!

      It's great news that ESU listened to us and worked to improve their
      product. They deserve our thanks for this... some companies still
      refuse to listen.
      Now, they - and all companies selling high output UVB - MUST work to
      educate people on how to use them responsibly. ESU/ Zilla need to put
      some sort of output chart and recommended safe basking distances in
      their instructions. Maybe, if any of their folk are reading this
      forum, they will consider it? We would be pleased to help, I'm sure.

      Hmm. Well, the first thing we need to do is to start educating the
      public about how to use fluorescent tubes with a really high UVB
      output, or we are going to see a lot of reports of eye problems
      (photokerato-conjunctivitis, arc welder's eye, snow blindness) which
      seems to be the commonest sign of "too much UVB" in reptiles.

      People assume reptiles can get really close to a fluorescent tube
      because they are cool and, in the past, they had such a low output
      that the reptile needed to get close.

      Having said that, if these fixtures are placed over a screen top (if
      the manufacturer's instructions are followed) the output will be
      reduced considerably. What mesh is most commonly used in the USA?
      Anyone know what percentage of light it blocks? (I've tested mesh
      screens blocking anything from 15 - 50%)

      But the second thing we need to do is to have a look at a spectrum
      and see whether it is relatively normal, ie. with UVB spectral power
      distribution reasonably like the sun's, so we can find out if the raw
      Solarmeter 6.2 readings are helpful in estimating suitable basking
      distances...
      Anyone got a spectrum for this lamp? I can't get one here in the UK
      unless someone sends me a sample lamp...

      Great pictures and info, Bryan, many thanks...please keep testing.
      If you keep records of your readings, could you publish them here,
      please, as the long-term picture develops?

      Frances

      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <information@...>

    • bobmac@reptileuv.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Brian,

        I can't see the numbers on the meter in the pictures. The bulb looks really
        blue in the pictures also.

        Best regards,

        BobMacCargar

        http://www.reptileuv.com <http://www.reptileuv.com/>

        Visit and learn;

        http://www.uvguide.co.uk
        http://www.reptileuvinfo.com

        If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
        Conservation Foundation
        at http://www.ircf.org/

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2007
          --- bobmac@... wrote:

          > I can't see the numbers on the meter in the
          > pictures. The bulb looks really
          > blue in the pictures also.

          That's odd. They look OK on all my computers and
          browsers. Perhaps you have a program compressing the
          images. Years ago I had AOL dial-up and they always
          degraded photos, so I would have to right-click and
          reload an image to see it in its original resolution.

          From top to bottom:

          638
          338
          145