RE: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: confused about upgrading......

  • Robert Allen
    Message 1 of 20 , May 9 3:41 PM
      "It's a lovely soft blueish glow"

      Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :). The color rendering
      of the Megaray is way off most white light. My skin (I'm caucasian) looks
      half dead under light from the Megaray, but it does show off even the
      slightest scratch from my Iguana on my arms. Of course I'm also color
      blind, so maybe it just looks this way to me?

      ====

      Robert Allen
      mailto: ottomatik@...
    • vitd295nm
      Message 2 of 20 , May 9 5:19 PM
        Are you buying lamps for you or your reptile?

        --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allen"
        <ottomatik@s...> wrote:
        > "It's a lovely soft blueish glow"
        >
        > Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :). The color
        rendering
        > of the Megaray is way off most white light. My skin (I'm caucasian)
        looks
        > half dead under light from the Megaray, but it does show off even the
        > slightest scratch from my Iguana on my arms. Of course I'm also color
        > blind, so maybe it just looks this way to me?
        >
        > ====
        >
        > Robert Allen
        > mailto: ottomatik@s...
      • Morkai Kurst
        Message 3 of 20 , May 9 5:22 PM
          > Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :). The
          > color rendering of the Megaray is way off most white light.
          > My skin (I'm caucasian) looks half dead under light from the
          > Megaray, but it does show off even the slightest scratch from
          > my Iguana on my arms. Of course I'm also color blind, so
          > maybe it just looks this way to me?

          Oh human skin definitely looks slightly zombified under it - and on camera
          it gives everything a green tinge. I'm just talking about looking at it on
          in the tank alone with no other light. Looks great then :)
        • Ben Ballard
          Message 4 of 20 , May 9 11:46 PM
            Morkai Kurst <morkai@...> wrote:

            > OK then,No Exo 8.0 just the EB Megaray and the CHE.......hmmm
            > curioser and curioser!! I did buy a 250W brooder bulb (well
            > it had pics of chicks on it and the bulb above) at a shop but
            > am paranoid to use it as it'll probly melt the plastic batten holder!!

            >>Batten holder?<<

            Yes, the tank I inherited from a friend has a batten holder light fixture on the inside of the tank.Not my choice and I'm soon to re-model.

            >>I use a standard lightbulb as heat source with mine to raise
            light levels. I have another 60 watt bulb on the other end of the tank so it's well lit.<<

            Doesnt that mess with your thermal gradient?

            >>The CHE only really needs to be used if your night time temps drop below 60F.<<

            Living in England the Night temp often drops below 60F plus with my house only being heated by coal fire (yes I know its stone age but blame the Local Council as they wont u/grade my heating system).

            Ben and Mojo

            Life Is A Dream That Prevents You From Sleeping..................
            I May Be Green But I'm Not Cabbage Looking..................
            Many A Mick Macks A Muckle..................

          • theldara
            Message 5 of 20 , May 10 4:14 AM
              Heh... both at this house ;) For me, I like the low vet bills from
              using proper lighting and the healthy look of my herps. For them, the
              benefits are across the board.

              I notice the same as everyone else - they light looks great on the
              critter, green on the camera sometimes, and human skin looks just
              weird under it.

              If you work w/ your camera settings though, you can get good
              photography under 'em.

              http://images6.fotki.com/v95/photos/4/47849/421268/July043006-vi.jpg

              > Are you buying lamps for you or your reptile?
              >
              > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allen"
              > <ottomatik@s...> wrote:
              > > "It's a lovely soft blueish glow"
              > >
              > > Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :). The color
              > rendering
              > > of the Megaray is way off most white light. My skin (I'm
              caucasian)
              > looks
              > > half dead under light from the Megaray, but it does show off even
              the
              > > slightest scratch from my Iguana on my arms. Of course I'm also
              color
              > > blind, so maybe it just looks this way to me?
              > >
              > > ====
              > >
              > > Robert Allen
              > > mailto: ottomatik@s...
            • lilacdawndragon
              Message 6 of 20 , May 10 4:26 AM
                I agree completely with Victoria here, you can't risk using a 250W
                brooder bulb in a plastic lamp holder!!!!

                But what are you trying to heat with a 250watt brooder bulb? Most vivs
                only need bulbs of 60 - 100 watts unless you have a huge enclosure or a
                very extreme ventilation system to carry away the heat. A 250 watt
                brooder lamp would be good in a barn or other room with open air, but
                in a viv it would be difficult to control the buildup of hot air...
                I would not personally use a 250watt lamp without a dimming thermostat
                and a lot of careful measurement of basking spot temperatures.
                I nearly had a disaster last month. I put in a 75watt basking bulb to
                replace one of 60watts that blew, and it wasn't on a dimming
                thermostat, (it is now!) and it was only when I noticed my lizard in
                there had gone to the cool end that I checked the temperature and got a
                fright. It was 117F at the basking spot.
                Very important not to overheat reptiles!

                Message 7 of 20 , May 10 5:22 AM
                  [MOD - TRIM YOUR POSTS!]

                  I know abt the risks of hotness and plastic.I was going to use it in place of the red night bulb as my house doesnt stay above recommended minimum at night. The basking bulb and nightbulb are on a dimming thermostat (microclimate B1 or 2 not sure which). The only prob with these thermostats is that they only go up to 92F which is no good for BD's.Thats why I have a 14W heatmat in the tank (covered over with cartridge paper buried under substrate so Mojo doesnt heat transfer burn).
                  I'm gonna re-model the tank and cut a hole in the top so the bulb doesnt protrude into the tank (the previous owners setup has the bulb and fixture inside the tank) thats why I bought the brooder bulb. Ive tried various bulb setups etc and have come to the conclusion that he needs to be moved from opposite the window. The only prob with that is that he wont be able to watch us and interact with me when he wants.
                  I wouldnt change anything without first consulting diff forums abt the issues.Which BTW thanks for all the input on this issue, I'm bound to have more in the future and Ive found evry1's help invaluable.
                • Morkai Kurst
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 10 6:07 AM
                    > Yes, the tank I inherited from a friend has a batten holder
                    > light fixture on the inside of the tank.Not my choice and I'm
                    > soon to re-model.

                    Eek, definitely do not put a 250 watt bulb in that - As lilacdawndragon said
                    I can't believe you would ever need a 250 watt a bulb. Hang on, what people
                    mean when they recommend the brooder lamps is the holder. The metal dome
                    that has the ceramic socket in it - not the bulb itself. 250 watt is
                    normally the rating for the socket that it can handle.. Is there confusion
                    arising here?

                    > Doesnt that mess with your thermal gradient?

                    Sorry typo - it's a 40 watt and is about 2' above my tank gives light but
                    doesn't affect my tank. Will be replaced with an ordinary fluoroescent in my
                    new tank.

                    > Living in England the Night temp often drops below 60F plus
                    > with my house only being heated by coal fire (yes I know its
                    > stone age but blame the Local Council as they wont u/grade my
                    > heating system).

                    Ex brit here - well, still very british but living in USA now. Good lord,
                    that is scary, I'm surprised they are still allowed to do that. Use the CHE
                    at night as a temp booster but use proper bulbs during the day to make a
                    nice bright tank. I would be very very careful of anything in that plastic
                    socket that is above 60 watts.

                    Victoria
                  • bobmac@reptileuv.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 10 3:32 PM
                      The color rendering
                      of the Megaray is way off most white light. My skin (I'm caucasian)
                      looks
                      half dead under light from the Megaray, but it does show off even the
                      slightest scratch from my Iguana on my arms. Of course I'm also color
                      blind, so maybe it just looks this way to me?

                      Hello Rob,

                      The EB bulb has a much poorer CRI then the SB lamp because the SB has a
                      filament that produces the higher color spectrum that the straight MV
                      tube doesn't produce. Being color blind would truly compromise your
                      ability to judge the light quality I believe.

                      Best regards,

                      BobMacCargar
                      Visit and learn;
                      <http://www.reptileuvinfo.com> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com
                      http://www.reptileuv.com <http://www.reptileuv.com/>
                      If you do nothing else today, visit and join the
                      "International Iguana Society" at
                      http://www.iguanasociety.org
                      <javascript:ol('http://www.iguanasociety.org');>
                      *