RE: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: is this yet another light?

  • Andy & Janette Beveridge
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
      Bob wrote:-
      >In any case, unless you have chameleons, the MegaRay lamp is the way to
      >go for MV at least in my definitely one sided opinion.

      Hi Bob

      I'm curious. I'm not a regular reader here so maybe I missed something
      earlier. Would you mind explaining why the "unless you have chameleons" bit?

      Thanks
      - Andy
      (A keeper of various chameleon species though mainly Ch. quadricornis - a
      montane species which probably has lower UV-B requirements than most
      'typical' chameleons)
    • Lawrence J L.......
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 5:37 PM
        I'm sure you answered it already somewhere. I really tried to research
        what was already asked and answered. I used the group search engine
        and found a lot. I checked the database and files as well as your own
        website and others. I limited my questions to the ones I could not
        find answers to. That doesn't mean the answer wasn't there, just that
        I missed it. Thank for your excellent answer.

      • bobmac@reptileuv.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2 8:46 AM
          Hello Andy,

          If you keep chameleons there are other lamps that will work for this
          grouping. Except for desert species, the chameleon does not have a high
          UVB demand. ZooMed 5.0 tubes and the T-Rex R40 true frosted flood lamp
          work well in my opinion for UVB needs of this reptile.

          We do have MegaRay LOW EB kits for chameleons and have kept our critters
          under MV for many years. Our web site is being corrected today to list
          the proper amout on UVB production of the MegaRay LOW kits. The current
          lamps produce 50-75microwatts at 12". Once this is brought through a
          screen it is decreased about 40%. Moving the lamp back just a couple
          inches dramatically reduces the UVB yet again.

          Quads to me are a frail and tricky species to keep. I personally have a
          hard time with a reptile that likes to be cold. The 5.0 tubes would seem
          to be the correct choice for these little guys.

          Best regards,

          BobMacCargar
          Visit and learn;
          <http://www.reptileuvinfo.com> http://www.reptileuvinfo.com
          http://www.reptileuv.com <http://www.reptileuv.com/>
          If you do nothing else today, visit and join the
          "International Iguana Society" at
          http://www.iguanasociety.org
          <javascript:ol('http://www.iguanasociety.org');>
          >In any case, unless you have chameleons, the MegaRay lamp is the way to
          >go for MV at least in my definitely one sided opinion.

          Hi Bob

          I'm curious. I'm not a regular reader here so maybe I missed something
          earlier. Would you mind explaining why the "unless you have chameleons"
          bit?

          Thanks
          - Andy
          (A keeper of various chameleon species though mainly Ch. quadricornis -
          montane species which probably has lower UV-B requirements than most
          'typical' chameleons)

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links