acrylic

  • sean46877
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hi,
      We had to replace the acrylic panel in our tanning bed because it
      was scratched (not from iguana claws! but from ppl wearing clothes
      and jewelry). I took the old panel outside to see what readings I
      could get with our 6.2 meter.

      Sun: 252 sunny in Columbus,OH 70F 1:00
      acrylic: 220 average
      plexiglass from lowes: 005

      I want to make a window for our free roamer ig (the mega-ray will
      still be in the primary baskin spot) if I can cut this plastic.
      anybody that can tell me the best tool and cutter for this I would
      appreciate it. The panel is 1/8 thick but is stronger and stiffer
      than plexiglass. There is a pic in a folder named acrylic if that
      helps.
      Thanks. PS. do we need model 6.4 now?

      Sean, Karen, Noshi and Cuetzpallin
      http://community.webshots.com/user/ourigs
    • theldara
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
        > I want to make a window for our free roamer ig (the mega-ray will
        > still be in the primary baskin spot) if I can cut this plastic.
        > anybody that can tell me the best tool and cutter for this I would
        > appreciate it. The panel is 1/8 thick but is stronger and stiffer
        > than plexiglass. There is a pic in a folder named acrylic if that
        > helps.

        Do you have a glass store around? We have one that makes big windows
        for stores - they charge $5 to cut any glass you bring in that can be
        cut (they're cutting a big mirror down for us!). I bet a store like
        that would know how to cut such acrylic, if nobody hear does.

        > Thanks. PS. do we need model 6.4 now?

        I'm happy with my 6.2 and just reading what this 6.4 would do... to me,
        the 6.4 is far advanced past my ablity (or desire really) to utilize it
        properly... I'll leave that to the folks who can and are willing to
        write it all up for me to digest in text ;) The 6.2 does what I, as a
        hobbyist, need it to do and what I need to know from it.
      • Chris & Spike
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
          A jigsaw should work to cut that. You could do it yourself. A table saw or skill saw will work, but it might be difficult to keep it from grabbing. I would try on an area that you are cutting off and not using to see what works best.

        • Andy & Janette Beveridge
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
            That is some neat sounding plastic - I wish you could tell us more about
            exactly what it is.

            Acrylics vary hugely. Bob probably knows much more.
            It depends on the exact mix but most acrylic window sheets are very brittle.
            If this is the brittle kind and the sheet is large and you want a clean
            edge then your best bet is to score it deeply (ie. score more than once)
            with a straight edge and a sharp (ie. new) sturdy craft/stanley knife and
            then break the edge over a straight edge (eg. a table longer than the
            piece). If in doubt it helps if you can clamp the piece first on both
            sides. That is much more difficult to explain than to do so if you can get
            a large piece of expendable but similar material to practice on it will be
            much easier.

            A high-speed nibble/cut/saw device will work but they tend to melt the
            edges and can get stuck and give much less clean edges.

            I've probably ruined more pieces that I have cut well but I reckon I'm much
            better now :-)
            Most crucial thing is a deep (and straight) score, a good firm straight
            edge to break it against, and a good clamp of the top edge when you break
            it. Don't be worried by the odd break away from the score - you can clean
            up the occasional flake by breaking it with a pair of stout pliers afterwards.

            If you can bear to have a less than perfectly straight edge then sawing it
            may be easier but since it is so flexible sawing it requires that you clamp
            it very firmly and close.

            You ideally need a practice piece - you can figure the rest out when you
            try to cut that.
            Sorry, that wasn't much use was it? It's far easier to show than to explain.
            - Andy

            At 05:22 01/04/2005, you wrote:
            >Hi,
            > We had to replace the acrylic panel in our tanning bed because it
            >was scratched (not from iguana claws! but from ppl wearing clothes
            >and jewelry). I took the old panel outside to see what readings I
            >could get with our 6.2 meter.
            >
            >Sun: 252 sunny in Columbus,OH 70F 1:00
            >acrylic: 220 average
            >plexiglass from lowes: 005
            >
            >I want to make a window for our free roamer ig (the mega-ray will
            >still be in the primary baskin spot) if I can cut this plastic.
            >anybody that can tell me the best tool and cutter for this I would
            >appreciate it. The panel is 1/8 thick but is stronger and stiffer
            >than plexiglass. There is a pic in a folder named acrylic if that
            >helps.
            >Thanks. PS. do we need model 6.4 now?
            >

            >Sean, Karen, Noshi and Cuetzpallin
            >http://community.webshots.com/user/ourigs
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Axe
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
              A router/dremel would also work, or if you know anybody with a CNC milling machine :)

              John
              http://www.reptilerooms.com/
              http://www.photosapien.com/

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                Check the phone books under "Plastics". You may well find a retail plastic
                outlet wwho will do the cutting for a few bucks.

                ====

                Robert Allen
                mailto: ottomatik@...
              • Jaze
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                  no...a dremel wont work as that it melts the acrylic. Blades for cutting metal work...a fine tooth is needed.
                  Diane
                  Exotic Pet Rescue and Adoption
                  http://www.scalesandtails.org/
                  My Own Crew...
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/rottnborder
                  Raising a baby iguana?
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                    I do not like reciprocating saws, they are slow and hard to keep
                    straight. For me, the quickest, straightest cuts are done with a
                    skill saw with a thin masonary blade. Yes, it literally melts as it
                    cuts, and makes a thick cut, but who cares as long as the the sheet
                    does not shatter. Make sure you have solid supports (such as wood)
                    up close on the back side of the cut to miminize vibration which can
                    cause breakage. When you go to mount the sheet, bear in mind that
                    it expands and contracts with temp. If it is mounted too tightly it
                    will crack with expansion/contraction. Good luck.

                    --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "sean46877"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                      http://www.etstans.com/

                      Hi the above link is the site for the tanning beds.
                      I'm looking at the 6.4 model... maybe I will wait to see some readings
                      on the mega-rays, or go back to college.

                      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Andy & Janette Beveridge
                      <sprocket@e...> wrote:

                      > That is some neat sounding plastic - I wish you could tell us more
                      about
                      > exactly what it is.
                    • Frank Voelling
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                        I recently cut some on my table saw (with a fine-toothed blade), no problem.

                        Here are a couple of links with some info:

                        http://www.plasticsmag.com/features.asp?fIssue=Mar/Apr-01
                        http://www.plasticsmag.com/ta.asp?aid=3920

                        Frank

                        http://personals.yahoo.com