Re: Repti sun 10.0 desert UVB compact tube bulb

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
      I got my repti sun 10.0 compact at this site.
      http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=423
      I've been talking online at reptile rooms. They said that they tested
      teh bulb and got a reading of 3 from 9inches. so now I don't know what
      to believe. I just got the bulb and I need a good uvb bulb for my
      Bearded Dragon. She is 3 months old and is fighting Coccidia parasites
      right now and needs all the hlp she can get. If this bulb is really
      bad then I need something good.

      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Kareem Kandil
      <xtreemkareem@y...> wrote:

      > They make spirals now ? (like the crappy Super-UV spirals?) I was
      under the impression the only make linear tubes and screw in compact
      tubes (the latter of which lilacdragon posted the results on in the
      files section - quite impressive actually). Where did you get yours?

      > Rachel <lilmexhope@y...> wrote:
      >
      > It's the round compact spiral light that I have.
      > Where would i find those readings int he database or through the old
      > postings? sorry new to group.
      > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "theldara" <theldara@p...>
      wrote:

      > > >Does anyone have any meter reading for the repti sun 10.0 bulb. I
      > > >just bought one for my Bearded dragon and I wanted to know what the
      > > >reading were for it. I've been getting mixed readings from alot of
      > > >people that the bulb was no good. I saw that someone had readings
      > > >for the repti sun 5.0 compact but not the 10.0 bulb. Thanks for the
      > > >info.
      > > > Rachel
      > >
      > > I'm confused - do you have the flourecent tube style light or the
      > > round spiral compact light?
      > >
      > > Check back in the archives a couple days, lildawndragon put a good
      > > writeup up on the 10's.
    • Kareem Kandil
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
        I would definitely trust lilacdragon's studies over
        something you may have heard from someone else.
        Lilacdragon did a comprehensive (at least in my
        opinion) study on measurements of different compact
        flourescents and has a chart and pictures to document
        it. According to lilacdragon, the Rpetisun 10.0
        sompacts produce a lot of UVB with a reflector dome.

        --- Rachel <lilmexhope@...> wrote:

        > I got my repti sun 10.0 compact at this site.

        http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=423
        > I've been talking online at reptile rooms. They said
        > that they tested
        > teh bulb and got a reading of 3 from 9inches. so now
        > I don't know what
        > to believe. I just got the bulb and I need a good
        > uvb bulb for my
        > Bearded Dragon. She is 3 months old and is fighting
        > Coccidia parasites
        > right now and needs all the hlp she can get. If this
        > bulb is really
        > bad then I need something good.
        >
        > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Kareem
        > Kandil
        > <xtreemkareem@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > They make spirals now ? (like the crappy Super-UV
        > spirals?) I was
        > under the impression the only make linear tubes and
        > screw in compact
        > tubes (the latter of which lilacdragon posted the
        > results on in the
        > files section - quite impressive actually). Where
        > did you get yours?
        > >
        > > Rachel <lilmexhope@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's the round compact spiral light that I have.
        > > Where would i find those readings int he database
        > or through the old
        > > postings? sorry new to group.
        > > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com,

        > repti sun 10.0 bulb. I
        > wanted to know what the
        > readings from alot of
        > someone had readings
        > bulb. Thanks for the
        > > >
        > > > I'm confused - do you have the flourecent tube
        > style light or the
        > > > round spiral compact light?
        > > >
        > > > Check back in the archives a couple days,
        > lildawndragon put a good
        > > > writeup up on the 10's.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • theldara
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2005
          > I would definitely trust lilacdragon's studies over
          > something you may have heard from someone else.
          > Lilacdragon did a comprehensive (at least in my
          > opinion) study on measurements of different compact
          > flourescents and has a chart and pictures to document
          > it. According to lilacdragon, the Rpetisun 10.0
          > sompacts produce a lot of UVB with a reflector dome.

          I trust two of the mod's at Reptilerooms (I rarely go there but I
          know them from elsewhere). From the sound of it, comparying Darry's
          readings and Frances' readings, the folks at reptilerooms may have
          had a bad light, fixture problem, or reflector problem as those low
          numbers haven't yet be duplicated *by the Reptisun 10* (now, the
          other coils out thusfar - yuck!).

          I'm still not sold on the Reptisun 10, and won't be till I can test
          it myself, but thusfar its looking very interesting!
        • Axe
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2005
            That isn't the bulb we tested.

            The bulb we had tested was an ESU Compact Flourescent (hood + 2 bulbs)- it's called an "Aqualight", although it's marketed in reptile sections of stores.

            http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53320&IDProductRelationship=278

            Like Jenn says, this is one of the "yuck!" crowd of compact flourescents, heh - can you believe they actually advise owners to keep the glass cover over the bulbs? Even when intended for reptiles - blocks 100% of the UVB. The person who had purchased the light we tested wasn't aware of this and had the glass over the lights for about a month before we explained why they need to remove it.

            We haven't tested the 10.0 yet, and I would also trust lilacdragon's studies. We should be getting (at least) one of the Reptisun 10.0's in the next few days so we can do some tests a well and see what comes up.

            John
            http://www.reptilerooms.com/
            http://www.photosapien.com/

            --- Rachel <lilmexhope@...> wrote:

            > I got my repti sun 10.0 compact at this site.

            http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=423
            > I've been talking online at reptile rooms. They said
            > that they tested
            > teh bulb and got a reading of 3 from 9inches. so now
            > I don't know what
            > to believe. I just got the bulb and I need a good
            > uvb bulb for my
            > Bearded Dragon. She is 3 months old and is fighting
            > Coccidia parasites
            > right now and needs all the hlp she can get. If this
            > bulb is really
            > bad then I need something good.

          • lilacdawndragon
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005
              Hi, everyone.
              Kareem, it's very embarassing to be regarded in such high esteem!
              It's very flattering but please don't trust me over other people... I
              too know some folk at Reptile Rooms and I trust the guys who run that
              site too! :-)

              I am thinking it's very likely that whoever got a reading of 3 from
              9" from a Compact Fluorescent Reptisun 10.0 (with a Solarmeter 6.2?)
              may have had an old bulb, a faulty bulb, or just a dud... or maybe
              they really do start out high and burn down to very low values in a
              few weeks.

              What I have found so far (on TWO bulbs, only two... and these are
              240volt UK ones remember. They are "Made in China") is:
              No reflector, no dome...stuck in a lampholder on a table and measured
              from the side, halfway down, measuring the distance from the side:
              Initial readings at 12" - lamp 1: 36, lamp 2: 33 uW/cm2
              Initial readings at 9" - lamp 1: 61, lamp 2: 58 uW/cm2

              Readings after 105 hours burn (thats not quite 9 days use at 12 hours
              a day) at 12" - lamp 1: 23, lamp 2: 22 uW/cm2
              Readings after 105 hours burn at 9" - lamp 1: 41, lamp 2: 37 uW/cm2

              I've kept one lamp (lamp 2) burning. It's just done 150 hours. The
              readings at 150 hours (12 and a half days at 12hrs a day) are:
              At 12" - 18 uW/cm2
              At 9" -29 uW/cm2

              Rachel, there won't be anything *wrong* with your lamp, none of these
              lamps are *really bad* as you say.
              If your lamp is like these two I've tested, it's putting out very
              much the same as a good fluorescent tube would, at those distances,
              while it's still new.

              My question about these at the moment, is whether their rate of decay
              will slow down. If it does, no probs. If it doesn't, then in a few
              months the "3 from nine inches" is, I suppose, a distinct
              possibility.....

              My personal view now is, that I think if you have a suitable vivarium
              for your little 3month-old beardie, which is big enough to safely fix
              a lamp like a MegaRay Externally Ballasted merc vapour lamp at the
              correct distance, and you can sort out the properly thermostatted
              heat source for the basking spot, to go along with that lamp, then
              this would give you an extremely good set-up. I'm about to set myself
              up with one like this for one of my beardies...I'm aiming for about
              200uW/cm2 at the very centre of the basking spot at a distance of
              about 12".

              In a small viv, an alternative set-up which won't provide that level
              of UVB, but which will provide a good level nevertheless, would be to
              use a good fluorescent, eg. the "traditional" Reptisun 5.0 tube, say
              a 24" or 36" one, in a good quality fixture with a good ballast, and
              a reflector. Put it above him, not in his eyes, and about 6-8" above
              his head.

              A lamp like that(for me, in the UK, with my fixtures) aged 3 months
              is now putting out 34uW/cm2 at 12" with a reflector, (17 with no
              reflector) and at 6" the readings are 79uW/cm2 with a reflector and
              38uW/cm2 without.

              Hope that helps!
              Frances

              <xtreemkareem@y...> wrote:
              > I would definitely trust lilacdragon's studies over
              > something you may have heard from someone else.
              > Lilacdragon did a comprehensive (at least in my
              > opinion) study on measurements of different compact
              > flourescents and has a chart and pictures to document
              > it. According to lilacdragon, the Rpetisun 10.0
              > sompacts produce a lot of UVB with a reflector dome.
              >
              > --- Rachel <lilmexhope@y...> wrote:
              >

              > > I got my repti sun 10.0 compact at this site.
              > >
              > http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=423
              > > I've been talking online at reptile rooms. They said
              > > that they tested
              > > teh bulb and got a reading of 3 from 9inches. so now
              > > I don't know what
              > > to believe. I just got the bulb and I need a good
              > > uvb bulb for my
              > > Bearded Dragon. She is 3 months old and is fighting
              > > Coccidia parasites
              > > right now and needs all the hlp she can get. If this
              > > bulb is really
              > > bad then I need something good.

            • Ben Ballard
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005
                LilacDawn,
                My name is Ben and I live in North Yorkshire,I'm looking to upgrade to 2 48" Exo-Terra 8.0's with my next Viv (72" L x 36" H x 24" D),side by side on the inside of the roof with 2 48" Arcadia Reflectors.Got any Idea how much UVB that will kick out for my beardie?I don't want to OD her on UVB but at the same time I want to make sure she is getting as much as possible.N E ideas on the subject?
                Ben
                lilacdawndragon <lilacdragon@...> wrote:

                Hi, everyone.
                Kareem, it's very embarassing to be regarded in such high esteem!
                It's very flattering but please don't trust me over other people... I
                too know some folk at Reptile Rooms and I trust the guys who run that
                site too! :-) <snip>
              • lilacdawndragon
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                  Hi, Ben.
                  I saw your last post..sorry I didn't get back to you! I was going to
                  reply to you off list and say basically, I can't be of much help
                  because I've not had the chance to test any twin fixtures or even
                  single fixtures 48" long...The only ones I've ever tested were old
                  ones in a friend's ig enclosure, all I got was one set of readings.

                  I know a lot of folks in the USA use twin fixtures and 4ft tubes -
                  maybe they have some results?

                  However. This morning I have been messing about with a new twin
                  electronic ballast I got from Hagen, called a Glomat2. This one is
                  for 24" tubes.
                  I'll post up all the results when I've actually made sense of them...
                  the ballast seems to be a bit odd, I would have expected an
                  electronic one to have held its output steadier than an old magnetic
                  one, wouldn't you?...

                  But anyway...
                  It's looking as if you do indeed get double the output with two
                  lights. (D'oh! I got an MA degree to be able to say that? LOL)

                  If you have one light on its own, and you put a reflector on it, you
                  also get double the output. (I have Arcadia clip-on reflectors)

                  If you put silver foil behind the two lights placed right together on
                  the wall, you get up to 10uW/cm2 more depending on distance.

                  If you fit BOTH tubes with Arcadia reflectors.... it is almost
                  impossible to line up your meter so as to read from
                  both "reflectorised" tubes at the same time, at close range.....
                  And because of the fact that the reflectors are separating the
                  lights, in effect creating two beams, and these don't converge, you
                  don't quite double the double. You spread it over a bigger area. Are
                  you with me....? I need to make a diagram...

                  I know you were hoping for some figures Ben. Alas! There are so many
                  variables. 48" put out different amounts from 24" as well...
                  The best I can do is give you the figures from my friend's iguana
                  lighting set-up:

                  Single 48" Exoterra 8.0 aged 3 months. No reflector. 40uW/cm2 at
                  6ins, 18uW/cm2 at 12".

                  Two 48" Exoterra 8.0s in a double fixture. Aged 3 months. No
                  reflector. 75uW/cm2 at 6ins, 41uW/cm2 at 12ins.

                  You can certainly double the output of each lamp, by fitting it with
                  an Arcadia reflector. That would give you APPROX 80uW/cm2 at 6ins and
                  36uW/cm2 at 12ins, from EACH lamp...But I'm not able to estimate what
                  the combined output would be. It's definitely going to be a great
                  deal more... For safety, though, I'd assume it will be double
                  (160uW/cm2 at 6ins and 72uW/cm2 at 12")
                  When I had two 24" tubes with reflectors, this morning, at 12" I was
                  getting (in uW/cm2) the following:
                  One tube alone, no reflector - 16
                  One tube alone, with reflector - 33
                  Two tubes together, no reflectors - 34
                  Two tubes together, two reflectors - 62

                  Hope that helps!

                  In the USA, I think people can buy double tube holder/ fixtures?
                  If so, they may well have some sort of built-in reflectors. Quite a
                  lot of office light fixtures do... I have a question for anyone
                  testing fixtures/ ballasts in the USA.... have you guys considered
                  the effects of any reflectors those fixtures might have??

                  We need a LOT more research on using reflectors!!
                  Frances

                  --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, Ben Ballard
                  <pogonavitticeps69@y...> wrote:

                  > LilacDawn,
                  > My name is Ben and I live in North Yorkshire,I'm looking
                  to upgrade to 2 48" Exo-Terra 8.0's with my next Viv (72" L x 36" H x
                  24" D),side by side on the inside of the roof with 2 48" Arcadia
                  Reflectors.Got any Idea how much UVB that will kick out for my
                  beardie?I don't want to OD her on UVB but at the same time I want to
                  make sure she is getting as much as possible.N E ideas on the subject?
                  > Ben
                  > lilacdawndragon <lilacdragon@l...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi, everyone.
                  > Kareem, it's very embarassing to be regarded in such high esteem!
                  > It's very flattering but please don't trust me over other people...
                  > too know some folk at Reptile Rooms and I trust the guys who run
                  that
                  > site too! :-) <snip>
                • Laurie Grant
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                    Hi, I mostly just lurk here, soaking in all your knowledge. I've arrived by
                    way of the Pogona group.

                    I have a question about reflecting UVB. I have 18" tubes in single GE
                    ballast under the counter fixtures.

                    I put tinfoil like an awning off the front of the fixture to try & direct
                    more of the rays downward towards my BD, RA.

                    Is it correct that I would be increasing the UVB output by putting tinfoil
                    behind the light bulb to reflect the rays back out?

                    Thanks, Laurie

                  • lilacdawndragon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 9, 2005
                      Yes, all tinfoil reflectors placed behind a tube will reflect UVB
                      from the rear of the tube, forwards into the viv, and so increase the
                      amount available to the reptile.

                      When you say "lightbulb" you do mean the tube, don't you?

                      Do check when using tinfoil that all your electric connections are
                      good and there's no chance of the foil touching a live wire, also
                      that no little bits break or tear off, and get eaten by your lizard.

                      If you are using BRAND NEW high output tubes and don't have a UVB
                      meter, be careful. Especially with the as-yet untested Reptisun
                      10.0s... You can increase the UVB output VERY significantly with
                      reflectors, and I am becoming wary of using double fixtures and
                      double reflectors with high output tubes at *very* close range, by
                      that I mean just a couple of inches above your reptile's head.
                      The tubes, for the first few days, can put out a lot of UVB, and
                      possibly at 2, 3 or maybe even 4 inches this might be too much.
                      Research is needed. Especially on the new 10.0s and any other tubes
                      said to put out "amazing amounts" of UVB. In the past people have
                      allowed their reptiles so close to the lamps they have almost touched
                      them with their faces, I now think this could harm a reptile when
                      high output tubes are used.

                      I put some stuff about the use of reflectors with tubes in the Files;
                      have a look at the Files called:
                      Use of Reflectors for More UVB.doc
                      Coloured Backgrounds test.doc (this includes tinfoil)
                      Simple UVB Spread Charts for Fluorescent Tubes.doc

                      Hope that helps!
                      Frances

                      --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie Grant"
                      <blgrant@r...> wrote:

                      > I have a question about reflecting UVB. I have 18" tubes in single
                      GE
                      > ballast under the counter fixtures.

                      > I put tinfoil like an awning off the front of the fixture to try &
                      direct
                      > more of the rays downward towards my BD, RA.

                      > Is it correct that I would be increasing the UVB output by putting
                      tinfoil
                      > behind the light bulb to reflect the rays back out?

                      > Thanks, Laurie
                    • Ben Ballard
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 9, 2005
                        Lilac,
                        Thanks for getting back to me.It raised an eyebrow as to how much UV output you get with/without reflectors.I didn't intend to just dump my new dragon in there with new tubes at point blank range,I'm gonna hav a burn in period of 3 days so I can check on the thermal gradient and mess around with diff wattage basking bulbs yadda yadda yadda!! :D
                        Mojo at the moment is at a min distance of 4" from the tube I hav at the moment and I dont really intend for the dragons to get any closer in the new tank,I know wot damage claws can do to lightbulbs/tubes and tubes/lightbulbs to dragons!!

                        About reflectors>>I was going to slice one side of each reflector (if I am correct in thinking they hav angled edges right?) and then marry the 2 sides together and solder the edges together to make one large reflector with 2 bulbs sat inside it.Think that'd work?

                        Thanks for the help,
                        Ben and Mojo
                        BTW yor in the UK aren't U?whereabouts?I'm in Selby,N.Yorks

                        <blgrant@r...> wrote:

                        > I have a question about reflecting UVB. I have 18" tubes in single
                        GE
                        > ballast under the counter fixtures.

                        > I put tinfoil like an awning off the front of the fixture to try &
                        direct
                        > more of the rays downward towards my BD, RA.

                        > Is it correct that I would be increasing the UVB output by putting
                        tinfoil
                        > behind the light bulb to reflect the rays back out?

                        > Thanks, Laurie

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • Laurie Grant
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
                          Frances

                          Thank you for all the great information. That is really helpful, especially
                          since I can't afford a meter just yet.

                          Laurie