***Thought & Humor*** - For The Discerning Mind - January 12, 2006 A.D. - Please forward to your Friends...

  • Thought N. Humor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006

      Two UNC students decide to go duck hunting. Neither one of them has ever
      been duck hunting before and after several hours they still haven't bagged
      any. One hunter looks at the other and says "I just don't understand it
      -- why aren't we getting any ducks?"

                                  http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

             Updated frequently during the day!!!

      ************************

      Why do UNC grads leave empty milk cartons in the fridge?

            TheRestOfTheStory!!!

                                       http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

      ***********************

      Check out this Blog:

      http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

      Updated frequently!!!

      ************************

      Bumper Car Families

           When our kids were growing up, it was hard to find a ride at the amusement park you could
      get us all to ride. We have roller coaster lovers and roller coaster no-way-ers, for example. But
      there was one we all liked to do - the bumper cars. You know, those little electric cars inside
      that fenced-in area. They turn them on, and everyone starts out together, then you start speeding
      around that circle. Some end up spinning out, going backwards, going forward, intentionally
      or accidentally running into other cars - especially those you love. Each one of us would each
      get into our little hot rod. We'd basically start out heading the same direction, but in no time
      we were heading in five different directions and occasionally bumping into each other. Sound
      like any family you know?

           In the busyness and pressures of our lives today, that's what many families turn out to be -
      bumper car families. Oh, you may all start out the day in basically the same place, but then
      you take off in different directions and occasionally bump into each other. In fact, a lot of
      families are slowly but surely flying apart, with each one in their own personal world and
      increasingly strangers, living under the same roof. It was not meant to be that way when
      the Heavenly Father gave you to each other. But keeping a family together in a bumper
      car world doesn't just happen. It takes someone who plays a mean trumpet.

          Our word for today from the Word of God comes from Nehemiah 4:19-20. God has called
      him to lead the Jews of his time in the amazing rebuilding of the walls and gates of Jerusalem -
      which were virtually totaled. Each person or group had a particular section they were responsible
      for. But Nehemiah knew that someone had to pull them together sometimes, too. "Then I said
      to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, 'The work is extensive and spread out,
      and we are widely separated from each other along the wall." Sort of a bumper car situation -
      everybody headed off in their direction, maybe bumping into each other occasionally. He says,
      "Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!" Nehemiah
      was a leader who insisted that his spread-out team come together sometimes! There was nothing
      about their work that would naturally bring them together. It actually took them different directions.
      But there was one person who made sure they got together!

          That's what every family needs - someone who blows the trumpet to get that group of separated
      people together regularly. You have to set a time and place and make it happen. If it doesn't, people
      leave home with dangerous unmet needs that were supposed to be met at home; the need for closeness,
      for attention, for encouragement, for affection. And you have to be together for those needs to be met!

          Biblically, it should be Dad who is the family Nehemiah. If you're a single mom, it needs to be you.
      In a two-parent family, this consistent huddle has to begin with the husband and wife spending that kind
      of time. Without a regular huddle, they'll start taking the family two different directions. If you're a son
      or daughter, work for together time with your parents, support the trumpeter when he or she tries to get
      you to spend some time together. Make it dinner together, prayer together, family time with Jesus,
      pre-committed days to be together - days no one else can have, trips together, or make a difference
      projects together.

          Don't let your home degenerate into every person for himself or herself where family members are
      increasingly strangers and people are home, but home alone even with others around. It takes work
      to get in the middle of your family's speeding bumper cars and say, "Pull over everybody! We need
      some time together!" But that work is worth it. The alternative will end up costing you way too much.

                                                                                                 - -  Ron Hutchcraft

      *Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor'.

      ===============

      I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really
      foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:
      "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I
      don't accept His claim to be God."

      That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was
      merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would
      not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic --
      on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg --
      or else he would be the Devil of Hell.

      You must make your choice. Either this Man was, and is,
      the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse ....
      You can shut Him up for fool, you can spit at Him and kill
      Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him
      Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing
      nonsense about His being a great hum! an teacher. He has
      not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.

                -- From Case for Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

      ===============

      Jesus In The Public Schools
      Religious Freedom Day

      In too many cases, Christian children in public school classrooms are being
      forced to act like atheists. After all, that is effectively what is happening
      when they are told not to talk about Jesus, not to sing about Jesus, and not to
      write about Jesus.

      A very small, but vocal, minority pound away at teachers and school officials,
      intimidating them into thinking that the public school must be a "religion-free
      zone."

      Their attacks have resulted in the religious aspects of even Christmas being
      banned, Christian students silenced, and teachers censored. A climate of fear
      about religion surrounds too many schools.

      But you and I have a great opportunity to stop this discrimination against our
      children who want to express their faith at school. January 16 is Religious
      Freedom Day. And President Bush's special proclamation will ask schools to
      commemorate the day.

      While many public schools are denying students' rights to freely express their
      faith, the U.S. Department of Education has issued guidelines that clearly list
      and explain those rights. For example, students have the legal right to express
      their faith in their assignments; they can witness to their classmates; they can
      read their Bibles at school; and they can pray. But many teachers have never
      seen these guidelines and believe they cannot allow these or any other religious
      expressions in their classrooms.

      It is fitting that this year Martin Luther King Day is also celebrated on
      January 16. King's religious faith was the foundation of his fight for civil
      rights. And it was religious freedom in America that allowed him to express his
      faith and the dreadful evil and move the entire nation.

      King was explicit about Christianity's centrality in seeking justice through
      nonviolent protest. For example, he required that volunteers in the Birmingham
      campaign sign a commitment card pledging themselves to "meditate daily on the
      teachings and life of Jesus," "Walk and talk in the manner of love, for God is
      love," and "Pray daily to be used by God in order that all men might be free."

      While many people will commemorate Martin Luther King Day, very few people
      are even aware of the president's proclamation of Religious Freedom Day. As a
      result, Gateways to Better Education is leading a national awareness campaign
      for Religious Freedom Day, and I encourage you to get behind it. Gateways is an
      organization helping public schools teach Judeo-Christian history, thought, and
      values. It has developed ReligiousFreedomDay.com as a special website to give
      you everything you need to commemorate the day in your church, your home, and
      your school.

      This year, you can bring more freedom to your public school by asking your
      children's teachers to join the president in commemorating Religious Freedom
      Day with their students and to read regulations issued by the Department of
      Education. And in your church on Sunday, January 15, distribute information
      on students' religious liberties. The law is on our side.

      Gateways to Better Education has prepared a fact sheet that is available by
      calling us here at BreakPoint (1-877-322-5527*) or by visiting our website.

      This year, at the same time they commemorate Martin Luther King Day, public
      schools can promote civil liberties and stop discrimination against children of
      faith by also commemorating Religious Freedom Day. You need to set them
      straight, just as King set us straight a generation ago.
        BREAKPOINT with Charles Colson & Mark Earley

      *Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor'.

      ===============

      Tremors Of Glory

      Canadian songwriter Bruce Cockburn often wrestles with the tension we face
      as humans in a world that is not really ours.  In his song "Rumours of
      Glory" he observes that behind the pain and fear sketched on our faces
      "something is shining, like gold but better: rumours of glory."

      What are these rumors of glory?  The knowledge that there is something
      beyond us, that we exist-indeed we were created-for something beyond this
      world ... and beyond our wildest dreams.  We were created for
      glory.

      For most of the twentieth century, the very idea of transcendence and
      metaphysics had been a subject of derision.  The "realist" vision of the
      many prophets of natural philosophy-Freud, Marx, Darwin-has dominated
      the public imagination and conversation.  Life is what we know it, right here
      and right now.  In fact, Freud's colleague Erich Fromm once wrote, "Man's
      pride has been justified.  By virtue of his reason he has built a material
      world the reality of which surpasses even the dreams and visions of fairy
      tales and utopias." (1)

      Our belief in God is just a dream or illusion, they contend; what we
      construct for ourselves is what is actually real.  Freud, of course,
      argued that belief in God was a projection of our deep-seated feelings
      of helplessness and need for protection, and therefore constituted "the
      oldest, strongest and most urgent wishes of mankind." (2)

      Years before Freud came upon the scene, these two competing visions of the
      world existed.  The rationalism of the Enlightenment was quickly countered
      by the passion of the Romantics in search of an alternative, and these two
      views continue to do battle over the nature of reality, truth, and life.

      The Romantic poet William Wordsworth opposed this Enlightenment view,
      and wrote of the "intimations of immortality," speaking not only of the
      specter of death, but that one's immortality is actually a window to
      the soul.

      And though some would rather not look too closely into that window,
      each of us still searches for transcendence.  From extreme sports to
      films, we want to look our immortality in the eye and somehow, trans -
      cend it.

      The question, it seems then, is does our world hint at "rumors of glory"
      or mere "visions of fairy tales"-delusions of what we wish we had or
      wish we were?  However, if such signs are just dead-ends that lead to
      nowhere, why do they actually compel us to journey farther down the
      road?

      "God may have designed us in such a way that these sorts of
      processes (such as reason and longing) enable us to come to know God
      personally," notes my former colleague Paul Copan, "and we are at our
      cognitive best when our faculties direct us toward true belief in God."

      Is it not unreasonable then to believe that such rumors of glory are more
      than mere rumors? Perhaps, even tremors? Standing in front of her
      brother's tomb, Martha was asked a similar question by Jesus Christ.
      "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"
      (John 11:40) In a loud voice Jesus called forth Lazarus.  The witnesses
      watched as the dead man came out, and they trembled at the tremors of
      God's glory.

      Danielle DuRant is research assistant at Ravi Zacharias International
      Ministries in Atlanta, Georgia.

      (1) Erich Fromm in Man for Himself, quoted in Paul Vitz,
      Psychology As Religion: The Cult of Self-worship (Grand Rapids, MI:
      Wm. Eerdmans, 1985), 19.

      (2) Sigmund Freud in The Future of an Illusion, quoted in Paul
      Vitz, Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism (Dallas:
      Spence Publishing, 1999), 6.

      "A Slice of Infinity" is aimed at reaching into the culture with words of
      challenge, words of truth, and words of hope. If you know of others who
      would enjoy receiving "A Slice of Infinity" in their email box each day,
      tell them to
      ple! ase call 1-877-88SLICE (1-877-887-5423).

      ===============

      "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider
      well the main end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ
      which is eternal life (John 17:3)."

         - - - The Laws and Statutes of Harvard College in 1643

       "All scholars shall live religious, godly, and blameless lives according
      to the rules of God's Word, diligently reading the Holy Scriptures, the
      fountain of light and truth; and constantly attend upon all the duties
      of religion, both in public and secret."

       - - - Two central requirements in Yale College 1745 charter

      ===============

         (Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor')

      ===============

      AMERICA ARCHIVED
      http://www.archives.gov/
      This government site offers access to historic documents.
      View the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

      ===============

      'Thought & Humor' -  often polemical but
      never tasteless/unrefined/uncouth/ribald.

      ===============

      Please note: If you see a UNC student or liberal reading 'Thought & Humor',
      please explain to them which is thought & which is humor. They usually get it backwards.......

      ===============

      God designed humans to want to believe in something.
      That's the image of God that is in us. But as G. K.
      Chesterton famously put it, when we reject the God
      of the Bible, we don't believe in nothing; we believe
      in everything -- including Little Green Men.

                   - - Chuck Colson

      ===============

      Dear Howdy,

      Thank you for your simply addicting newsletter...it's truly a candidate
      for the 8th wonder of the world and 1st candidate for the cyber-world...
      it just keeps blooming with more of what I need and, I think, what we
      all need...please keep up the great works!!!

      Type atcha later...

      God bless you,

      Phil H
      WI

      ===============

      [God] has showed you, O man, what is good.
      And what does the Lord require of you? To
      act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly
      with your God.  --Micah 6:8

      ===============

      Dear Howdy, Indeed I am a faithful Tarheel*, having both
      MA and Ph.D. from their fine chemistry department.
      But that doesn't keep me from getting a great kick out
      of the humor propagated by what appears to me to be
      a pack of wolves!!**

      SERIOUSLY, THE HUMOR IS GREAT FUN BUT MY
      MAIN ATTRACTION WAS TO THE CONSERVATIVE
      MORAL AND POLITICAL STANCE THAT SEEMED
      TO CHARACTERIZE THE FIRST ISSUE I SAW.
      INCIDENTALLY (HE SAYS ACCIDENTALLY!), it was
      sent to me by a friend,  so I really didn't "hear about
      you" at all, and still haven't. All I know is what has
      come in the two issues of the Newsletter I have
      seen. The best to you.

      S. P.

      *Another name for UNC.
      ** UNC's archrival - NCSU.

      ===============

      "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man.
      All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to
      us through this book."        -- President Abraham Lincoln

      "For we must consider that we shall be as a City upon a hill.
      The eyes of all people are upon us.  So that if we shall deal
      falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and
      so cause Him to withdraw! his present help from us, we
      shall be made a story and a byword throughout the world."
      --John Winthrop, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1630

      "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and
      the Bible." - President George Washington

      "The Bible is no mere book, but a Living Creature, with a
      power that conquers all that oppose it." - Napoleon

      "That Book accounts for the supremacy of England."
      - Queen Victoria

      "If there is anything in my thought or style to commend ,
      the credit is due my parents for instilling in me an early
      love of the Scriptures. If we abide by the principals taught
      in the Bible, our country will go on prospering and to prosper;
      but if we and our posterity neglect its instructions and authority,
      no man can tell how sudden a catastrophe may overwhelm us and
      bury all our glory in profound obscurity." - Daniel Webster
      (Founding Father)

      "The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed."
      - Patrick Henry   (original member of the Continental Congress)

      "The Bible is the anchor of our liberties." -  President U.S. Grant

      "It is impossible to enslave mentally or socially a Bible-reading people.
      The principals of the Bible are the groundwork of human freedom."
      - Horace Greeley  (Editor)

      "That Book is the rock on which our Republic rests." - President Andrew Jackson

      "In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me
      light and strength." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

      "Bible reading is an education in itself." - Lord Tennyson (Poet)

      "So great is my veneration for the Bible that the earlier my children begin
      to read it the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful
      citizens of their country and respectable members of society. I have for
      many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year."
      - President John Quincy Adams

      "The existence of the Bible, as a Book for the people, is the greatest
      benefit which the human race has ever experienced. Every attempt to
      belittle it is a crime against humanity." - Immanuel Kant (Philosopher)

      "The New Testament is the very best Book that ever or ever will be
      known in the world." - Charles Dickens (Author)

      "All human discoveries seem to be made only for the purpose

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)