softmod questions : help !!

  • critter45tx1
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2013

      I need to figure ot what I am doing wrong .Here is what I have tried to do. change the frequencys in the setup file in the program 's folder . When i copy the moded 3r file   the frequencys the model and the frequency range page  below it refuses to show my updated info ( a/e no 135.199 -200-480 ) just 136-148 420-480 . i used the softmod program . This is for a uv-3R plus .Any help would be much appreciated !!

    • m6mfp
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2013
        Did you modify just the frequencies or did you change the 'data' codes as well, both need to be done together before it'll work.

        Softmod program??? Why? You can edit the .ini file with notepad or any other text editor, but you have to do "freq" and "data" as they're dependant on each other. Before you do though I can tell you from experience that it won't RX or TX on or above 175Mhz on VHF band, the lower limit is around 126Mhz, any lower and the internal VCO won't lock so stays at the same frequency regardless of readout. At the upper end it'll work at 174.995Mhz but as soon as it gets to 175 the power out drops right off, I'm guessing there's an inbuilt limiter, and nothing past 225Mhz or so works anyway, VCO limits again.

        On UHF the lower limit is 400Mhz, any lower than that and the readout is full of 'alpha' characters (A-E) so the processor can't cope with lower. TX out is little or nothing too. Upper limits are around 520Mhz or so (VCO tops out), but anything about 470Mhz is TV band channels here, you can get it to the Aussie UHF CB easily enough though, on 476-477Mhz.

        If you want to change the setting.ini file then replace the text in Freq0/Data0 part. The original is:
        [ModelInfo]

        Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
        data0=6013401700400047

        and if you want a wider range you can change it to:

        Freq0=[130-174/400-512]
        data0=0013401700420051

        for 130-174.995Mhz VHF and 400-511.995Mhz UHF. Any more either way and it will not work properly. Can you see the relationship between 'freq' and 'data' numbers? You have to alter both.

        When you change the frequncy range of the radio you will have to use the drop down menu 'Freq Range' (change it then change back again) and you will be warned that you will lose all programmed frequencies, you will and there's no way around this, you will have to enter all the channels in again by hand into the program window. First do a "write to radio" even if they're blank channels (well just the default 136.000 one anyway) then save that file. It stores the frequency ranges in that saved file so if at any time you reload previous saved channels it will reload the old frequency ranges too and undo any frequncy changes. Use the new save from now on and enter your usual channels, save again and "write to radio". Your new frequncy range will then be changed and available should you wish to alter or edit channel frequencies again at a later date.

        Hope that helps.

        73's
        Paul.