Programming UV-3R

  • C. J. Kikkert
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2013
      The UV-3R covers 400 to 470 MHz. The RDA 1845 will go to 500 MHz. The
      UV-5R can go to 480 MHz. Does anyone know how to program the UV-3R to
      cover the 476-478 MHz UHF CB band used in Australia. Tried two
      programmes, they prevent setting frequencies above 469.995 MHz

      For information, the direct down conversion technique used by the
      RDA1845 results in lower audio distortion than obtained by radios using
      dual IF frequencies as used in older radios.
      Thanks
      --
      Cornelis Jan (Keith) Kikkert BE, PhD, FIEAust,LSMIEEE, CPEng Adjunct
      Associate Professor 15 Durham Court Mt. Barker South Australia, 5251
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013
        It's very easy to expand the frequency range, you just have to edit the "setting.ini" file in the program folder of the factory sofware. You can do that with notepad. You will of course need the programming lead and factory software.

        IMPORTANT: Make sure you get the right program else you'll do damage (brick) it. There's different software for the UV-3R Mk1/2's and the UV-3R+ (Plus) so make sure you have the right one. The mod is the same though.

        Look for the bit that says:
        Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
        data0=6013401700400047

        and change it to:
        Freq0=[136-174/400-480]
        data0=6013401700400048

        amd save the file, overwriting the original. Then when you launch the software select the range from the "Freq Range" (usually the first one) and "Write" to the radio. It will remove all your pre-programmed channels, this is normal and there's no way around it, but will extend the frequency coverage, you can then put all your channel frequencies back in afterwards and upload them again. If you upload any saved channels it will revert back to the default range so save the new ones with the increased range after programming.

        I've done this myself so I know it works :)
        Enjoy.