Baofeng uv-3r+ report

  • swduncan57
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2013
      I had an opportunity to take my new-ish uv-3r+ (plus) on an overnight trip to Palmdale, Ca. I don't have much in the way of repeaters (or activity in general) where I live so this was a good test. I worked several local repeaters (Hauser Pk. and Table Mt. among others) with great success and the reports were positive on he stock ducky. Several of my contacts wanted the nomenclature for the HT. Battery life is superb, after all the talking and receiving I'm still on the same charge cycle with battery save on.
      When I was in the hotel room I pinned up a home-brew 144 MHz roll up "J" pole to the ceiling and connected it to the Baofeng. The results were better than I expected, reaching Bird Springs (at least 50 mi. for those who know the area), and Breckenridge Pk. near Bakersfield, Ca.
      I'm quite pleased and the small size is perfect for travel. Cheers.
    • K5DDJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2013
        Hi all,

        Yesterday I got up the courage and did the "volume fix" mod.    The radio
        came apart without very much effort.  However, besides a small Phillips
        driver you will need a very small Torx screw driver to remove the two screws
        near the bottom of the radio.  I chose to use a 33K resistor in my mod and
        the results are just what I wanted.  The only difficult part of the whole
        precedure was clearing solder out of the hole when I went to resolder the
        antenna connection to the board.  The best way I found to do it is to use
        some desoldering braid (but be sure it has flux on it).  It cleared the hole and
        the re-assembly was a snap.  Just follow the procedure shown in the video
        and you shouldn't have a problem.  However, if you don't feel comfortable
        doing it, don't!  It's better to have high volume than no volume.

        Harvey, K5ddj

      • John LaMartina
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2013

          Harvey,

          Congratulations... Success feels good, doesnt it?

          I also used some old solder wick braid and everything else went smooth. My eyes arent quite as good as they used to be and the Torx threw me at first, so I added it to the Miklor Project Page http://www.miklor.com/UV3R/UV3R-AudioMod.php

          I also added a comment about the Solder Wick and added the Antenna connection to the picture. How does it look to you?

          John K3NXU

          http://www.miklor.com/UV3R

          Yesterday I got up the courage and did the "volume fix" mod.    The radio

          came apart without very much effort.  However, besides a small Phillips

          driver you will need a very small Torx screw driver to remove the two screws

          near the bottom of the radio.  I chose to use a 33K resistor in my mod and

          the results are just what I wanted.  The only difficult part of the whole

          precedure was clearing solder out of the hole when I went to resolder the

          antenna connection to the board.  The best way I found to do it is to use

          some desoldering braid (but be sure it has flux on it).  It cleared the hole and

          the re-assembly was a snap.  Just follow the procedure shown in the video

          and you shouldn't have a problem.  However, if you don't feel comfortable

          doing it, don't!  It's better to have high volume than no volume.

          Harvey, K5ddj

          No virus found in this message.

        • K5DDJ
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013
            John,

            I hadn't seen your post on Miklor before doing my mod.  Very nice!  It would have saved me the frustration of "the antenna hole" problem. Yours looks neater than mine turned out looking!  But it works just fine.

            Harvey,  K5DDJ

          • John LaMartina
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013

              Once it’s back in the case, no one will ever see it.

              I know I use mine a lot more now that it doesn’t disturb everyone.

              Enjoy the weekend,

              John K3NXU

              http://www.miklor.com/UV3R