Re: [UV-3R] Re: UV-5R factory software from China!!!!!!!

  • Louis Ciotti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
      I have seen numerous posts like this where someone get malware or a virus and wrongfully point the finger at a piece of software.  Bust option is to use caution.

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM, vimproved <juicedun911@...> wrote:

      Is this some kind of joke?

      You are saying there is a virus we cannot detect with our virus checker and we cannot fix it unless we go and execute a random program you have found on the internet?

      Furthermore your instructions (as best as I can understand them) is we run this 'program' from a bootable environment.

      This sounds like a great way to get a rootkit infection.

      When you say 'factory software' do you in fact mean the CD-R that whatever grey market vendor sold us our particular radio sent us?

      Please stop scare mongering and get some facts to back up your claims.

      Thank you.

    • LonnieW
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2013
        It may be fear mongering, I don't know. Probably not on purpose. But I DO know that Stinger.exe is a legitimate program from the McAfee Antivirus folks. This is from their website:

        McAfee Stinger detects and removes prevalent Fake Alert malware and threats identified in the "List Viruses" section of the Stinger application. While not a replacement for full fledged antivirus software, Stinger is updated multiple times a week to include detection for newer Fake Alert variants and prevalent viruses.

        Whatever a "Fake Alert variant" is. . . Maybe I'll google that next.

        Lonnie, N9iUI

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "vimproved" <juicedun911@...> wrote:

        > Is this some kind of joke?
        >
        > You are saying there is a virus we cannot detect with our virus checker and we cannot fix it unless we go and execute a random program you have found on the internet?
        >
        > Furthermore your instructions (as best as I can understand them) is we run this 'program' from a bootable environment.
        >
        > This sounds like a great way to get a rootkit infection.
        >
        > When you say 'factory software' do you in fact mean the CD-R that whatever grey market vendor sold us our particular radio sent us?
        >
        > Please stop scare mongering and get some facts to back up your claims.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "nicknnl" <06nleclair@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've heard rumors about the drivers on the CD included with the programming cable may contain malware but that the factory software itself was ok. Are you sure that stinger.EXE isn't flagging it as a false positive?
        > >
        > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, <kk4khk@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Do not use or upload the factory software for the Baefong UV-5R radio!!!!
        > > > It has an embedded virus in it!!!!
        > > >
        > > > Continue to use CHIRP!
        > > >
        > > > Toss that CD out!!
        > > >
        > > > McAfee and Other anti-virus software cannot see this virus. the only it can be detected and removed from your PC is with
        > > > Stinger.EXE. For those who have already D/L it. Google Stinger.exe and D/L this to a bootable CD or disk (if you still use them) once you have it down loaded run it and let the CD boot your PC. When it reached the post boot state and you see a drive letter.
        > > > Change it to the CD drive or boot drive letter and run "Stinger.exe" and it will find the virus and get rid of it.
        > > >
        > > > Alex
        > > > --
        > > > Alex Watters
        > > > KK4KHK
        > > > Roanoke,VA
        > > >
        > > > George Clooney: Ulysses as Everett McGill: " Believe me Delmar, woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man!"
      • Jonathan Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2013

          Stinger is usually used to detect and remove hard to find rootkits. It's very good software, i use it (and many others) daily in my job. The fake alert variant is a type of malware that pops up with what looks like a genuine anti virus alert and tells you its found x hundred viruses on your system (it displays what looks like an active virus scan but its actually a video) then it tells you to go to some site and download some bit of software for removal (which usually costs around £80), once you've paid and downloaded the software it then proceeds to infect your pc with even more crap and often will turn it into a node in a bot network (which are themselves used to attack websites, send spam and distribute the same crappy malware you've just paid for out to other victims). Nasty stuff...

          Jon Wilson