Bassy Baofeng External Speaker Mike

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hi:

      Picked up a "genuine" Baofeng external speaker/mike on Fleabay for my UV-3R. It works OK, but the mike sounds objectionably bassy. Has anyone had a go at tailoring the response on one of these beasts?

      Thanks

      John VK4TJ

      PS: Never did get any replies to my prior question "Is it safe to run these babies continuously on 5 VDC?". I had a look at the schematic, and I don't see why not, but if you have "been there, done that", I'd love to hear your experiences.
    • mjlindsay49
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2013
        Audio: I would try adding an electrolytic capacitor inside the speaker/mic in series with the speaker lead. Try 47 uF to start. Put the positive towards the radio on the hot lead.

        Charging: It is my understanding that the radio has a charging chip in it so it should protect the battery from overcharging.

        Mike AD7RZ
      • John
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2013
          Umm...it is the *MIKE* that is grotesquely bassy...don't think a cap in series with the speaker will help that!

          Gonna have a crash around inside the mike to see if I can reverse engineer it, but first gotta find a *tiny* torx driver with a hollow centre. Man, are those screws small!

          I should have clarified - I intend to operate the UV-3R without a battery installed, so I'm not concerned about cooking it. I've had bad results with "smart" chargers trying to outthink me before, so I whittled a psuedo battery out of wood, and am currently coming in through the battery bay from a 5 volt OEM supply kluged to put out 3.8 volts or so. I'm a bit light into one of the repeaters I like to use (only 90 km away! :-), so I though a slight boost to the juice might make a difference. From the schematic, the final TX device will certainly handle 5 VDC, and is not downwind from any regulators, so logically, it should give me a bit more power, but thermally, it might be another question...

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "mjlindsay49" <klindsay1@...> wrote:

          > Audio: I would try adding an electrolytic capacitor inside the speaker/mic in series with the speaker lead. Try 47 uF to start. Put the positive towards the radio on the hot lead.
          >
          > Charging: It is my understanding that the radio has a charging chip in it so it should protect the battery from overcharging.
          >
          > Mike AD7RZ

        • Fred
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2013
            Rather than a "boost to the juice", why not look to your antenna and feeder?
            Surely a far more effective 'solution' :-)
            Fred.

            Umm...it is the *MIKE* that is grotesquely bassy...don't think a cap in series with the speaker will help that!

            Gonna have a crash around inside the mike to see if I can reverse engineer it, but first gotta find a *tiny* torx driver with a hollow centre. Man, are those screws small!

            I should have clarified - I intend to operate the UV-3R without a battery installed, so I'm not concerned about cooking it. I've had bad results with "smart" chargers trying to outthink me before, so I whittled a psuedo battery out of wood, and am currently coming in through the battery bay from a 5 volt OEM supply kluged to put out 3.8 volts or so. I'm a bit light into one of the repeaters I like to use (only 90 km away! :-), so I though a slight boost to the juice might make a difference. From the schematic, the final TX device will certainly handle 5 VDC, and is not downwind from any regulators, so logically, it should give me a bit more power, but thermally, it might be another question...

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "mjlindsay49" <klindsay1@...> wrote:

            > Audio: I would try adding an electrolytic capacitor inside the speaker/mic in series with the speaker lead. Try 47 uF to start. Put the positive towards the radio on the hot lead.
            >
            > Charging: It is my understanding that the radio has a charging chip in it so it should protect the battery from overcharging.
            >
            > Mike AD7RZ

          • dr. Phyl
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2013
              I agree. a low loss coax feeding a directional antenna higher up would be a safer solution

              Rather than a "boost to the juice", why not look to your antenna and feeder?
              Surely a far more effective 'solution' :-)
              Fred.

              Umm...it is the *MIKE* that is grotesquely bassy...don't think a cap in series with the speaker will help that!

              Gonna have a crash around inside the mike to see if I can reverse engineer it, but first gotta find a *tiny* torx driver with a hollow centre. Man, are those screws small!

              I should have clarified - I intend to operate the UV-3R without a battery installed, so I'm not concerned about cooking it. I've had bad results with "smart" chargers trying to outthink me before, so I whittled a psuedo battery out of wood, and am currently coming in through the battery bay from a 5 volt OEM supply kluged to put out 3.8 volts or so. I'm a bit light into one of the repeaters I like to use (only 90 km away! :-), so I though a slight boost to the juice might make a difference. From the schematic, the final TX device will certainly handle 5 VDC, and is not downwind from any regulators, so logically, it should give me a bit more power, but thermally, it might be another question...

              --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "mjlindsay49" <klindsay1@...> wrote:

              > Audio: I would try adding an electrolytic capacitor inside the speaker/mic in series with the speaker lead. Try 47 uF to start. Put the positive towards the radio on the hot lead.
              >
              > Charging: It is my understanding that the radio has a charging chip in it so it should protect the battery from overcharging.
              >
              > Mike AD7RZ

            • John
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2013
                Yeah, thought about that. Our local government restricts tower height, though, and the "Christmas Tree" above my rotator is pretty crowded already. The current antenna is a 10 element log periodic with a claimed gain of 10.9 dBd, fed by about 10 mtrs of RG213, so I'm not one of those newbies who thinks a rubber duckie is the epitome of good engineering! Of course, with a LPDA, the coax goes inside one of the hollow booms, so bigger diameter coax would mean a complete redesign - yuck!

                For the metric-challenged, 90 km is about 56 miles, over some pretty obstructed terrain, so I'm not unhappy with what my 2 or so watts is able to accomplish, by any means!

                By the way, on the mike audio quality issue, I've already achieved a notable improvement in quality (but still not good enough) by the very hi-tech method of jabbing the mike case with my soldering iron :-) In my case, the tiny grill over the electret mike element was completely obstructed by excess plastic. Providing a direct air path from vocal cords to mike element smartened it up considerably. Shades of the old Jingtong JT-208 handheld, eh?

                For those of you still following the saga, there are no parts to muck around with changed values inside the speaker mike. Just one SMD cap whose sole function, I'm fairly certain, is to keep RF & AF away from each other. I cannot simply insert a series cap in the mike line, of course, to attenuate the lows, as an electret cartridge needs DC bias. More thinking required!)

                73 (or is it 72, since we are QRP?)

                John VK4TJ
              • Fred
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2013

                  "Shades of the old Jingtong JT-208 handheld, eh?"
                  Ah yes folks - and who could resist the masterpiece that so pre-dates it!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nebe1zuEtbc

                  Regarding range - Is the repeater vertically polarised and the Log Periodic horizontal?
                  Is the condition of cable, all connections and any adapters100%?
                  Might a differently sited collinear antenna be feasible?
                  Can height or spacing between LP ant and others be increased by even a small amount?

                  As to electret voltage a DC blocking capacitor to the audio stage is usual and could be increased in value.

                  Just my thoughts.
                  :-)
                  Fred.