recommendations on a mini usb male to normal female adapter?

  • nicknnl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2013
      I have one of those mini solar chargers as a backup way to charge my uv-3r+. I've tried two mini usb male to female adapters to hook up the solar charger and both adapters have only allowed .5 volts at most to pass through it. Does anybody have know of any adapters that actually work? I might end up having to homebrew something if nothing else works (using a broken USB cable as a makeshift adapter.)
    • Fred
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2013
        Might be that you are using normal polarity USB adapters?

        One thing I think ridiculous about the UV-3R is that the connector polarity is the reverse of normal i.e. negative is the centre conductor.

        Fred.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2013
          Although the polarity of the barrel connector is reversed, it will work with any normally wired usb connector.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2013

            Indeed - I was just pointing out the obvious should a standard cable have been used instead.
            Another possibility is charge threshold voltage.

            My Solar Technology "FreeLoader" charger may be similar to yours.
            I don't presently have a suitable cable to verify it charges my radio but the spec is 4.5 to 5.5V at 500mA and it normally charges just about anything from it's integral 1,000mAh battery.

            Regards,

            Fred.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2013
              Forgot to add that on my charger the output is only through a "barrel" socket and cable to various adapters.  Its mini USB socket is only for charging the integral battery when the sun don't shine. (0.3V otherwise measured there).