hacking the uv3r (re-flashing the firmwere)

  • Lior
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 11, 2013
      I have managed to upload a new firmware to the uv3r using an arduino. For now the firmware is a proof of concept so it only tunes to 145.525 and listens to a signal. When a strong signal is received it will play back 3 dtmf tones. Flashing the chip was accomplished with an arduino and only requires soldering 5 wires to direct pads on the radio (as seen in the video). I just finished this hack this weekend, and will need to assemble, clean up the code and post it on my website (www.liorelazary.com) by next week.

      You can see a video here:
      http://youtu.be/-bYRF7IxtLA

      Lior
      KK6BWA
    • mbramwel2001
      Message 56 of 56 , Apr 15 10:05 AM
        If I had my choice, I would like to see a fully PC controllable HT.

        My suggestion...

        Make the firmware work as a computer controlled radio. Much like the Icom PCR 100/1000 radios. Pick a radio that has good support inside Ham Radio Deluxe and duplicate that command set.

        The LCD will show basic information, and the HT would be unusable without a computer.

        Why? Think of the $2000 satellite base stations used for sat tracking. Now imagine a $50 HT with the same capability plugged into sat-tracking software.

        It would also allow the HT to be used as a frequency-agile-link transceiver on repeaters.

        Like I said, find a radio currently supported by Ham Radio Deluxe and Sat trackers, and emulate their command set.

        I have done this for another device and it was easy once you know how to program the real device. Using an established command set removes much of the complexity (thinking of a good UI) from the project.