scanner novice...help!

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(

      I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.

      I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.

      Thanks!!

      John D
    • Brandon Block
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
        I'd recommend checking out Chirp:

        http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

        It makes programming a breeze (provided you purchase a programming
        cable, about $10 - 15. I'd say it's worth it).

        On 01/01/2013 08:38 PM, John wrote:
        > Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(
        >
        > I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.
        >
        > I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.
        >
        > Thanks!!
        >
        > John D

      • Tom Muzzin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013

          Please remember to disable the transmitter on those railroad frequencies ... don't want any accidents. I would also suggest software to program. It will take a month of sundays to do one at a time.
          Tom

          To: UV-3R@yahoogroups.com
          From: brandon.block@...
          Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:52:53 -0500
          Subject: Re: [UV-3R] scanner novice...help!

          I'd recommend checking out Chirp:

          http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

          It makes programming a breeze (provided you purchase a programming
          cable, about $10 - 15. I'd say it's worth it).

          On 01/01/2013 08:38 PM, John wrote:
          > Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(
          >
          > I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.
          >
          > I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.
          >
          > Thanks!!
          >
          > John D

        • Fred Underwood
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
            Check out the 409-Shop and purchase the Programming Software and
            cables.If you have ANY problem getting the computer to see the
            connected radio check the COM port.If the problem still persists use
            another UV-3R programming disk from another E-Bay store. it's more
            likely the software, NOT the cables.The software likes XP..Good
            Luck..N4DHN

            On 1/1/13, Tom Muzzin <muzzmobility@...> wrote:

            > Please remember to disable the transmitter on those railroad frequencies ...
            > don't want any accidents. I would also suggest software to program. It will
            > take a month of sundays to do one at a time.Tom
            >

            > To: UV-3R@yahoogroups.com
            > From: brandon.block@...
            > Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:52:53 -0500
            > Subject: Re: [UV-3R] scanner novice...help!

            > I'd recommend checking out Chirp:
            >

            > http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
            >

            > It makes programming a breeze (provided you purchase a programming
            >
            > cable, about $10 - 15. I'd say it's worth it).
            >

            > On 01/01/2013 08:38 PM, John wrote:
            >
            >> Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've
            >> been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(
            >

            >> I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck
            >> with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.
            >

            >> I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really
            >> appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.
            >

            >> Thanks!!
            >

            >> John D

          • Carlos Roig
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
                If you are looking for the instructions to program the UV-3R manually , download this pdf document:    http://sonomacountyradioamateurs.com/resources/uv3program.pdf

              It makes programming a breeze (provided you purchase a programming
              cable, about $10 - 15. I'd say it's worth it).

              On 01/01/2013 08:38 PM, John wrote:
              > Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(
              >
              > I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.
              >
              > I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.
              >
              > Thanks!!
              >
              > John D

            • Ken Locke
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013

                You obviously have a computer, why not send it the frequencies of via that?

                - Brother Kenneth Locke
                   Spectrum Communications

                On Jan 1, 2013 8:39 PM, "John" <jdovak4@...> wrote:

                Hello group... I'm a railfan and just got a UV-3R for Christmas, and I've been trying to manually enter frequencies since then :(

                I have set off the alarm several times...that works good... but no luck with entering frequencies. The manual is just confusing me.

                I'm sorry to bother you all with this basic request, but I would really appreciate some simple steps to enter 6-8 railroad frequencies.

                Thanks!!

                John D

              • ve4cy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
                  --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Tom Muzzin <muzzmobility@...> wrote:

                  > Please remember to disable the transmitter on those railroad frequencies ... don't want any accidents.

                  Good advice.. Also note that when you set off the alarm, it doesn't just come out of the radio's speaker. It's transmitted over the air on the frequency you're listening to.
                • Adam
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
                    While I'll admit that programming with the software IS faster, there's just something about programming my radios by hand that can't be beat. I make it a point of learning manual programming for all of my radios; that way when I'm out "in the field," and I need to make changes or add a freq or two, I can do it quickly and easily. I've gotten pretty good / fast at programming my 3R manually. However, if I ever have a brain fart, I keep a simplified version of the programming instructions slipped in behind the 3Rs battery.

                    :~)