Re: [UV-3R] Nagoya 775 antenna on 446 or 477 MHz

  • Kristopher
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
      On 12/10/2012 09:17 AM, Lawrence Lee wrote:
      Can anyone who have used the Nagoya 775 antenna on PMR 446 Mhz or Australian UHF 477 MHz comment on how is the reception compared to the stock rubber ducky?

      Many thanks!

      Lawrence Lee

      I have the 775. The xmit/rcv is much improved over the stock antenna. However, the plastic around the base of the antenna has become fragile and has cracked and broken over time.
    • n0moe@aol.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
            Thanks for the reply. Are you using it on 446 or 477 MHz?

            Lawrence Lee

            brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

            Philippians 4:8

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
              On 12/10/2012 09:19 PM, Lawrence Lee wrote:
              Thanks, Have you used it on 477 MHz?

              Lawrence Lee

              On 11 Dec, 2012, at 2:59 AM, n0moe@... wrote:

              Worked better.  I use it also on the FMRS Freqs. in the U.S. at 462mhz.  Works better than the single band antennas.  Other dual banders that I had did not compare.
              John

              In a message dated 12/10/2012 11:57:15 A.M. US Mountain Standard Tim, ke4qno@... writes:

              On 12/10/2012 09:17 AM, Lawrence Lee wrote:
              Can anyone who have used the Nagoya 775 antenna on PMR 446 Mhz or Australian UHF 477 MHz comment on how is the reception compared to the stock rubber ducky?

              Many thanks!

              Lawrence Lee

              I have the 775. The xmit/rcv is much improved over the stock antenna. However, the plastic around the base of the antenna has become fragile and has cracked and broken over time.
              I have had a QSO on 440 with it. I have not done a 220 QSO on simplex either. Although I can break local repeater.

          • n0moe@aol.com

              Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
                   The Nagoya NA-775 has specifications very similar to the NA-771. Both are about 399 to 400 mm in lenght ( about 15 inches) If you take a look at the NA-775 it has a thicker bottom section, making it stiffer than the Na-771, which is the same tickness in its entire lenght. However, all hand held radio antennas offer a very large comprimise, even base station antennas, with carefully designed matching networks, will produce a 2:1 swr bandwidth of less than 4 mhz. It is impossible to find an antenna that will exhibit an acceptable SWR from 400 to 480 mhz or even 520 mhz on some of the LCR's ( Little Chinese Radios) Each Nagoya antenna will resonate better on certain portion of its designed frequency coverage. Since the NA-775 and the NA-771 are fixed lenght dual band antennas, the frequency response will depend mostly on the matching network at the base of the antenna ( coil and capacitor) fifteen inches is close to a quarter wave lenght on 2 meters ham (144-148 mhz in the U.S.) which is 19 inches, but on 430-470 mhz and higher the antenna is several wavelenghts longer. The matching circuit is critical in determining where the antenna is going to be resonant. I have tried to find the manufacturer SWR plots for the different models with no luck.

                 I will suggest trying the Nagoya NA-773 or the NA-774. Both antennas are dual band but instead of a fixed lenght radiator , they use a telescopic whip. Reducing the lenght of the telescopic section would probably result in variations in resonance especialy on 430 - 470 mhz. Users in other countries in need of finding an antenna that will resonate higher could take advantage of this, experimenting is the only way to clarify on this observations. The Nagoya NA-774 is the same as the  NA-773 but has a swivel on the base of the telescopic whip. Remember to get your antenna with the appropiate connector for your dual band hand held radio.

                 WP4AOH

                Message 8 of 10 , Dec 16, 2012
                  On 12/11/2012 01:44 AM, Kristopher wrote:
[...]

                  Yeah,
                  I can talk on the local. You really need a band specific antenna for uhf and above. The 3R used to come with two antennas...