compatibility with Motorola CP110 VHF 2 channel?

  • curt_guldenschuh
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
      I searched but could not locate any info on this. At work we use Motorola CP110 VHF radios. Many are 2 channel, some are 16(?). I am trying to find out if the UV-3R or UV-5R are compatible with the Motorola. We use channel 1. I believe these are MURS? I am just now beginning to learn about these radios and have no education in this field. Thanks.
      Rev. Ceg
    • Dan Starkenburg
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
        I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.

        But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.

        - Dan

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
          Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@...> wrote:

          > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
          >
          > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
          >
          > - Dan

        • k2lrv
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
            With all the money Walmart makes they should be able to cough up some proper radios for you. If the Motorola's are not lasting the UV-3Rs will last half as long. The UV-3R is a decent radio for the price, it still is a Sub $50 SDR radio and you get what you pay for.

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "curt_guldenschuh" <ceg@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.
            >

            > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
            > >
            > > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
            > >
            > > - Dan

          • Dan Starkenburg
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
              I used to work there myself and I think our radios were on one of the VHF "color dot" frequencies.  I think some of the color dot / itinerent frequencies may also be MURS frequencies.  If you look them up online I'm sure you could find the frequencies of your store radios through trial and error (plug all the frequencies in a UV-3R, hit scan, see where it stops).

              Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.

              --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@...> wrote:

              > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
              >
              > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
              >
              > - Dan

            • curt_guldenschuh
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
                Most of the problems with the radios at work comes from abuse by the people using them.

                --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "k2lrv" <lciotti1@...> wrote:

                > With all the money Walmart makes they should be able to cough up some proper radios for you. If the Motorola's are not lasting the UV-3Rs will last half as long. The UV-3R is a decent radio for the price, it still is a Sub $50 SDR radio and you get what you pay for.
                >
                > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "curt_guldenschuh" <ceg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.
                > >

                > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
                > > >
                > > > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
                > > >
                > > > - Dan

              • Mr. Chuya ™
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
                  If you have a frequency counter, you can quickly find the frequencies used by CP110s.
                  or just like Dan said, hit scan. (
                  Do this only when the CP110 is being used)

                  S..u..r..y..a
                  d(^..^)b

                  On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:10 AM, curt_guldenschuh <ceg@...> wrote:

                  Most of the problems with the radios at work comes from abuse by the people using them.

                  --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "k2lrv" <lciotti1@...> wrote:

                  > With all the money Walmart makes they should be able to cough up some proper radios for you. If the Motorola's are not lasting the UV-3Rs will last half as long. The UV-3R is a decent radio for the price, it still is a Sub $50 SDR radio and you get what you pay for.
                  >
                  > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "curt_guldenschuh" <ceg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.
                  > >

                  > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
                  > > >
                  > > > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
                  > > >
                  > > > - Dan

                • dr. Phyl
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
                    Right. You might also look up the license on radioreference.com enter the company name in the search bar.

                    As Dan said, be very careful, because it is easy to get off-frequency and end up causing interferrence to someone else!

                    DP

                    If you have a frequency counter, you can quickly find the frequencies used by CP110s.
                    or just like Dan said, hit scan. (
                    Do this only when the CP110 is being used)

                    S..u..r..y..a
                    d(^..^)b

                    On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:10 AM, curt_guldenschuh <ceg@...> wrote:

                    Most of the problems with the radios at work comes from abuse by the people using them.

                    --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "k2lrv" <lciotti1@...> wrote:

                    > With all the money Walmart makes they should be able to cough up some proper radios for you. If the Motorola's are not lasting the UV-3Rs will last half as long. The UV-3R is a decent radio for the price, it still is a Sub $50 SDR radio and you get what you pay for.
                    >
                    > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "curt_guldenschuh" <ceg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your reply. My situation is that I work at Walmart. We use the Motorolas but half of them are in need of repair and they're getting scarce. The only place I would be using the radio is at work.
                    > >

                    > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Dan Starkenburg <ab0re@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I believe the CP110 radios are dealer-programmable for any frequency in the ~150-174MHz range.  Whoever programmed your CP110's may or may not have put them on MURS.  Sometimes if you look on the bottom of the radio or look underneath the battery the person who programmed it may have written down the frequencies programmed in.
                    > > >
                    > > > But to answer your question, the UV-3R does cover all the frequencies the CP110 does and it does wide and narrow band as well, so they'd likely be compatible.  The only snafu you may run into is that the UV-3R is FCC Part 90 type-accepted and MURS requires Part 95 type acceptance, I believe.  (In other words, it wouldn't be technically legal to use the UV-3R on MURS in the US but that decision is up to you - the moderators of this group prefer this not be heavily discussed/debated here as there are many variables to that discussion... the UV-3R would technically work on the MURS frequencies, though)  The other problem is that the UV-3R is frequency-agile so it's quite easy to get on the incorrect frequency if you don't watch what you're doing.
                    > > >
                    > > > - Dan

                  • curt_guldenschuh
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Thanks for all of your input. I ordered a 5R this morning...it should be here sometime Friday.