Re: Chirp and a Mac?

  • kb9eu
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2012
      Rather than say "doesn't need" you could go with "can't use" because Apple's hardware support is very structured/controlled. Unless you are a masochist, stick with the XP kludge.

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "w2eec" <champine@...> wrote:

      > Hey all.
      > I have one of the original UV-3Rs and a USB programing cable that I used very successfully in in Windows XP using Parallels on my Mac. I would like to not have to use Windows and use Chirp natively on my Mac OS. I am using 10.8.1 . I downloaded the latest daily and installed the runtime package. Chirp opens OK. I hook up the cable to my UV-3R and then power it on. I click on the download and add the make and model of the HT but it doesn't show any available connections. I tried what was listed. Nothing worked. I was under the understanding that Macs didn't need drivers but now I am thinking that is wrong. Do you think I may need a different cable? Is there a universal driver I may need? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
      >
      > 73 de W2EEC
      >
      > Eric

    • Tom Swisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16, 2012
        Eric,

        Hints from a list lurker and Mac owner. . .

        Sometimes you do need to update or install the drivers on a Mac; while they do include the drivers for most stuff, some of the more esoteric things need to be installed. In addition, some of the pre-installed drivers may need to be updated depending upon the version of the OS you're running.

        If I recall what I've read on this list correctly the UV3R cable uses the Prolific chip set, so you would have to download and install the Mac drivers for that. I've installed the Prolific drivers for a USB>Serial cable and it worked fine; I also installed the drivers for the FTDI chipset as I have several USB>Serial cables using that chipset as well.

        I don't have a programming cable for the UV3R (never really needed it but maybe I'll build one sooner or later), but I've used Chirp successfully on the Mac with a Yaesu radio.

        Tom
        ---
        Tom Swisher
        wa8pyr.list@...

        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

        2. Chirp and a Mac?
           Posted by: "w2eec" champine@... w2eec
           Date: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 pm ((PDT))

        Hey all.
        I have one of the original UV-3Rs and a USB programing cable that I used very successfully in in Windows XP using Parallels on my Mac. I would like to not have to use Windows and use Chirp natively on my Mac OS. I am using 10.8.1 . I downloaded the latest daily and installed the runtime package. Chirp opens OK. I hook up the cable to my UV-3R and then power it on. I click on the download and add the make and model of the HT but it doesn't show any available connections. I tried what was listed. Nothing worked. I was under the understanding that Macs didn't need drivers but now I am thinking that is wrong. Do you think I may need a different cable? Is there a universal driver I may need? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

        73 de W2EEC

        Eric

      • Eric Champine
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2012
          Now.
          I took home my UV-3R+ from work with a different USB programing cable (Kenwood Type). I tried that setup with Chirp. Didn't work! I have tried to install two Prolific drivers for Mac OSX and restarted my system. Still didn't work. In the Port section I tried everything that was listed. On the driver that should work I get "An Error Has Occurred - Radio Did Not ACK First Command". Same results as with my other UV-3R and different USB programing cable. Also to let you know, the drivers I have for the cables is a Prolific driver for Windows. Does anyone have a guess what I need to do to get this working?
          Getting very frustrated.
          Thanks for any help in advance.

          73 de W2EEC

          Eric
        • linux_author
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
            1. plug in your USB cable, then check the name of the device by opening Terminal and using the ls command... for example:

            ls -l /dev/tty.*

            crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 6 Sep 18 19:06 /dev/tty.usbserial-A100OODO

            (which shows a FTDI USB serial cable)

            or

            ls -l /dev/tty.*

            crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 4 Sep 18 19:03 /dev/tty.PL2303-0000201A

            (which shows a Prolific USB serial cable)

            2. you will need to select the proper device in your Chirp Port drop-down menu

            3. i had to install the FTDI driver on my 10.5.8 system - the prolific chipset support was built-in; YMMV w/newer versions of OS X

            hth

            bill, kg4zqz

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "w2eec" <champine@...> wrote:

            > Hey all.
            > I have one of the original UV-3Rs and a USB programing cable that I used very successfully in in Windows XP using Parallels on my Mac. I would like to not have to use Windows and use Chirp natively on my Mac OS. I am using 10.8.1 . I downloaded the latest daily and installed the runtime package. Chirp opens OK. I hook up the cable to my UV-3R and then power it on. I click on the download and add the make and model of the HT but it doesn't show any available connections. I tried what was listed. Nothing worked. I was under the understanding that Macs didn't need drivers but now I am thinking that is wrong. Do you think I may need a different cable? Is there a universal driver I may need? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
            >
            > 73 de W2EEC
            >
            > Eric

          • Tom Swisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
              If you're running the 64-bit OS make sure you're using the 64-bit drivers; one other tip I've seen suggests installing the Snow Leopard 64-bit driver if you're running Lion and having trouble.

              The latest drivers should be available here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/index.aspx

              And it definitely needs to be the Mac driver, not Windows.

              Tom
              ---
              Tom Swisher
              wa8pyr.list@...

              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

              1a. Re: Chirp and a Mac?
                 Posted by: "Eric Champine" champine@... w2eec

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
                This is what I got:

                crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 16 Sep 18 23:09 /dev/tty.usbserial

                So I have a FTDI serial cable?
                When I loaded the drivers for windows they were Prolific.
                Now I have to find that driver. Thanks.
                I hope that works.
                Found it and installing it. Have to reboot. I'll loet you know how it works.
                Thanks again. 73

                Eric
              • w2eec
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
                  No luck.
                  I installed "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg" .
                  I restarted it and still no go. This stinks! 73

                  Eric