Battery Difference Between UV-3R Mark II and UV-3R+

  • brianf1969
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2012
      I am planning on ordering the Baofeng UV-3R, and I am not sure which version I should get. I have a gut feeling that the Plus model with its female terminating antenna connector will handle under a strain better without breaking, so I am leaning towards the +. One of the reasons I am choosing the UV-3R over the UV-5R is that the 3R takes a common photo battery, so I don't think finding replacement batteries will be an issue. I have seen some mention various places online that the + version uses a proprietary battery that differs from previous versions of the UV-3R. If that is the case, I will probably go with the Mark II. Can anyone please inform me of any battery differences between the Mark II and the +?

      Thanks and 73
      Brian KE6NFZ
    • Mr. Chuya ™
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2012
        Hello Brian KE6NFZ,

        Just go for Mark II, you will like it because the battery can be replaced with another brand or use the 3x AA (with YAESU vx3r battery case).

        Regards,
        S..u..r..y..a

        d(^..^)b

      • kk4khk@cox.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
          Which photo battery replaces the standard UV-3R battery?
          Thanks,
          Alex Watters
          KK4KHK
          Roanoke,VA

          ---- "Mr. Chuya ™" <guadalupa@...> wrote:
          > Hello Brian KE6NFZ,
          >
          > Just go for Mark II, you will like it because the battery can be replaced
          > with another brand or use the 3x AA (with YAESU vx3r battery case).
          >
          > Regards,
          > S..u..r..y..a
          >
          > d(^..^)b
          >

          > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM, brianf1969 <brianf1969@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I am planning on ordering the Baofeng UV-3R, and I am not sure which
          > > version I should get. I have a gut feeling that the Plus model with its
          > > female terminating antenna connector will handle under a strain better
          > > without breaking, so I am leaning towards the +. One of the reasons I am
          > > choosing the UV-3R over the UV-5R is that the 3R takes a common photo
          > > battery, so I don't think finding replacement batteries will be an issue. I
          > > have seen some mention various places online that the + version uses a
          > > proprietary battery that differs from previous versions of the UV-3R. If
          > > that is the case, I will probably go with the Mark II. Can anyone please
          > > inform me of any battery differences between the Mark II and the +?
          > >
          > > Thanks and 73
          > > Brian KE6NFZ

        • IronLight, aka TMA-1
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
            Search eBay for "Fuji NP-60" and/or "Klic-5000" (a Kodak model number), "1800" for the robust mAh version, and then sort by price.

            DO NOT get a "Casio NP-60".  That is just an unfortunate coincidence--they are a different battery with the same name.

            Ian

            ---- "Mr. Chuya ™" <guadalupa@...> wrote:
            > Hello Brian KE6NFZ,
            >
            > Just go for Mark II, you will like it because the battery can be replaced
            > with another brand or use the 3x AA (with YAESU vx3r battery case).
            >
            > Regards,
            > S..u..r..y..a
            >
            > d(^..^)b
            >

            > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM, brianf1969 <brianf1969@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I am planning on ordering the Baofeng UV-3R, and I am not sure which
            > > version I should get. I have a gut feeling that the Plus model with its
            > > female terminating antenna connector will handle under a strain better
            > > without breaking, so I am leaning towards the +. One of the reasons I am
            > > choosing the UV-3R over the UV-5R is that the 3R takes a common photo
            > > battery, so I don't think finding replacement batteries will be an issue. I
            > > have seen some mention various places online that the + version uses a
            > > proprietary battery that differs from previous versions of the UV-3R. If
            > > that is the case, I will probably go with the Mark II. Can anyone please
            > > inform me of any battery differences between the Mark II and the +?
            > >
            > > Thanks and 73
            > > Brian KE6NFZ

          • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
              On 8/1/12 10:05 PM, IronLight, aka TMA-1 wrote:
              > Search eBay for "Fuji NP-60" and/or "Klic-5000" (a Kodak model number),
              > "1800" for the robust mAh version, and then sort by price.

              The radio relies on a chip in the battery pack to charge it properly.

              Make sure you get one with the chip in it.

              Geoff.

            • KB3VEW
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                Also, be very careful to check the pictures of the battery as well as the battery when it arrives. I have seen both of the following.
                Description shows that the battery is 1800 Mah and the picture shows 1500 or 1300 Mah. I have also received a battery that was sold as 1800 Mah but was marked 1500 Mah when it arrived. When I contacted the seller I was told they were sorry, but they didn’t have access to the 1800 Mah batteries anymore.

                “Buyer Beware!!”

                Ron P
                KB3VEW

                BTW, just a side note. I notice that many of us are buying more then just 1 make / model of these Chinese Micro Hats' Heck at the price why not!! I just got the TYT TH UV-3R (Yes the numbering is WAY confusing)
                I love this radio and to date it has surpassed all I have seen. Many issues with the Baofeng and earlier TYTs have been addressed and /or improved. But, the reason I bring it up is the battery. Mine just came with a 1500 Mah battery. They are often listed with, and are shown with the older 1300 Mah TYT Interphone Battery. Make sure you are getting the new 1500 Mah.

                Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:09 PM

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                  I'm not sure what everyone is paying but you can get tyhe battery from Cellphoneshop.net
                  or
                  http://search.cellphoneshop.com/search?p=Q&lbc=cellphoneshop&uid=458437263&ts=custom-v2&w=Fuji%20NP-60&method=and&isort=price
                  --
                  Alex Watters
                  KK4KHK

                  ---- "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:
                  > On 8/1/12 10:05 PM, IronLight, aka TMA-1 wrote:
                  > > Search eBay for "Fuji NP-60" and/or "Klic-5000" (a Kodak model number),
                  > > "1800" for the robust mAh version, and then sort by price.
                  >
                  > The radio relies on a chip in the battery pack to charge it properly.
                  >
                  > Make sure you get one with the chip in it.
                  >
                  > Geoff.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379

                • IronLight, aka TMA-1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                    Ouch.  I paid about $3.50 each from a couple of vendors on eBay.  I'd look there first.

                    And for the record, I took an underperforming one apart, and I think every one of them has a chip and a temperature sensor/feedback connection (which is not used by the UV-3R.)

                    Ian
                    I'm not sure what everyone is paying but you can get tyhe battery from Cellphoneshop.net
                    or
                    http://search.cellphoneshop.com/search?p=Q&lbc=cellphoneshop&uid=458437263&ts=custom-v2&w=Fuji%20NP-60&method=and&isort=price
                    --
                    Alex Watters
                    KK4KHK
                    Roanoke,VA

                    ---- "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:
                    > On 8/1/12 10:05 PM, IronLight, aka TMA-1 wrote:
                    > > Search eBay for "Fuji NP-60" and/or "Klic-5000" (a Kodak model number),
                    > > "1800" for the robust mAh version, and then sort by price.
                    >
                    > The radio relies on a chip in the battery pack to charge it properly.
                    >
                    > Make sure you get one with the chip in it.
                    >
                    > Geoff.
                    >

                    > --
                    > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379

                  • Fred
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Which begs the question of whether the inbuilt UV-3R charging circuit is as adequately safe as chargers designed to react to the central "T" contact of NP60 (etc) batteries.
                      A lithium battery is quite a hazard in (rare) worst case.

                      Fred.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                        Hello Alex Watters KK4KHK.

                        I completely agree with Ian below.
                        About battery replacement for UV3R Mark II has been discussed several times here some time ago.

                        Regards,
                        S..u..r..y..a

                        d(^..^)b