FCC rule 90.203(e)

  • David A. Behar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 12:39 PM
      Hi friends,

      Is it possible to configure the UV-3R radio so it can be provided to the end user such that the end user will not be able to transmit on a frequency other than those programmed in the radio?  I know how to lock the controls, but I think the controls can be unlocked by pressing and holding the lock button.

      Title 47 Chapter I is where FCC rules are codified.  Part 90 of Title 47 is where rules are found for Private and Land Mobile Services.  47 CFR 90.203(e) provides that "Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz shall not be certificated for use under [Part 90] if the operator can program and transmit on frequencies, other than those programmed by the manufacturer, service or maintenance personnel, using the equipment's external operation controls."

      The UV-3R radio does have a Part 90 equipment authorization grant (FCC ID ZP5BF-3R)... but I am wondering whether this radio complies with the requirement to restrict configuration of the radio by an end-user to those frequencies programmed by the manufacturer, or by service or maintenance personnel.

      David

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 4:32 AM
        Hi,

        Amateur Radio is governed by the rules in 47 CFR 97, not Part 90.

        Basically, there is no Type Acceptance necessary for Amateur equipment, although manufacturers may submit documentation indicating that a radio adheres to the standards. Nobody at the FCC checks these submissions.

        The only exception is external power amplifiers (97.315 and 97.317).

        Because of the examinations required to obtain a ham license, we are assumed to be technically proficient enough to use only our authorized frequencies.

        --Jim, KJ3P

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

        > Hi friends,
        >
        > Is it possible to configure the UV-3R radio so it can be provided to the end user such that the end user will not be able to transmit on a frequency other than those programmed in the radio? I know how to lock the controls, but I think the controls can be unlocked by pressing and holding the lock button.
        >
        > Title 47 Chapter I is where FCC rules are codified. Part 90 of Title 47 is where rules are found for Private and Land Mobile Services. 47 CFR 90.203(e) provides that "Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz shall not be certificated for use under [Part 90] if the operator can program and transmit on frequencies, other than those programmed by the manufacturer, service or maintenance personnel, using the equipment's external operation controls."
        >
        > The UV-3R radio does have a Part 90 equipment authorization grant (FCC ID ZP5BF-3R)... but I am wondering whether this radio complies with the requirement to restrict configuration of the radio by an end-user to those frequencies programmed by the manufacturer, or by service or maintenance personnel.
        >
        > David

      • David A. Behar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 9:53 AM
          I was writing about the Baofeng radio's Part 90 equipment authorization, which has nothing to do with amateur radio.

          David