Re: [UV-3R] The UV3r "DSP"

  • John Wilkerson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
      confused.. please elaborate.

      On 7/6/2011 17:38, Leigh L Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote:

      > The DSP is most of the radio. It isn't just used as a de-noiser like in
      > some HF radios.
      >
      > Leigh/WA5ZNU

    • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
        John,

        It's not exactly misleading, but it's a different use of the term DSP
        than you might be expecting from ham gear. Even though Ii says DSP on
        the box, but that doesn't mean that the DSP is programmed for noise
        reduction or other type of things you see in "DSP Speakers" or on some
        of the mid-range HF rigs.

        The UV-3R has two main ICs in it, one is the microcontroller than runs
        the buttons and LCD and so on, and the other is the "DSP Chip" which is
        a radio chip with digital-to-analog converters, and analog-to-digital
        converters, and a host of other stuff that you can see here in the block
        diagram of the chip. It's a "phasing" or SDR-type of device, but since
        the main data flow is set inside the chip already (modulation, etc)
        there's not a lot more that can be done with it than what it already does.

        Here's the chip's block diagram:

        http://detail.china.alibaba.com/buyer/offerdetail/view_large_pics.htm?offerId=868195531

        For the radio itself, the UV-3R schematic and block diagram in the files
        section of the UV-3R group shows how this chip is used in the UV-3R.
        It's pretty much the whole radio.

        There's a potential for re-programming the microcontroller in the UV-3R,
        but it may an arduous task to figure it out, and in the end it probably
        won't give many fundamental new capabilities. The main IC can't do 900
        MHz, and there's not enough room to put in another set of output filters
        for 222 Mhz, or 50 MHz, so there's not a whole lot you can do to hack
        around with this radio as is.

        Leigh/WA5ZNU

      • pa3bya@amsat.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2011
          SSB?
          Packet Radio??
          DStar??

          don't think this would be a trivial task to implement.

          Gerrit.

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU" <leigh@...> wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > .............. so there's not a whole lot you can do to hack
          > around with this radio as is.
          >
          > Leigh/WA5ZNU

        • PA3HMP
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7, 2011
            Maybe there is a possebillety for exended rx range ?
            Or 150kHz wide FM on 70cm ?

            Mark

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU" <leigh@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > It's not exactly misleading, but it's a different use of the term DSP
            > than you might be expecting from ham gear. Even though Ii says DSP on
            > the box, but that doesn't mean that the DSP is programmed for noise
            > reduction or other type of things you see in "DSP Speakers" or on some
            > of the mid-range HF rigs.
            >
            > The UV-3R has two main ICs in it, one is the microcontroller than runs
            > the buttons and LCD and so on, and the other is the "DSP Chip" which is
            > a radio chip with digital-to-analog converters, and analog-to-digital
            > converters, and a host of other stuff that you can see here in the block
            > diagram of the chip. It's a "phasing" or SDR-type of device, but since
            > the main data flow is set inside the chip already (modulation, etc)
            > there's not a lot more that can be done with it than what it already does.
            >
            > Here's the chip's block diagram:
            >
            > http://detail.china.alibaba.com/buyer/offerdetail/view_large_pics.htm?offerId=868195531
            >

            > For the radio itself, the UV-3R schematic and block diagram in the files
            > section of the UV-3R group shows how this chip is used in the UV-3R.
            > It's pretty much the whole radio.
            >
            > There's a potential for re-programming the microcontroller in the UV-3R,
            > but it may an arduous task to figure it out, and in the end it probably
            > won't give many fundamental new capabilities. The main IC can't do 900
            > MHz, and there's not enough room to put in another set of output filters
            > for 222 Mhz, or 50 MHz, so there's not a whole lot you can do to hack
            > around with this radio as is.
            >
            > Leigh/WA5ZNU
            >
            > On 07/06/2011 05:03 PM, John Wilkerson wrote:
            > > confused.. please elaborate.
            > >
            > > On 7/6/2011 17:38, Leigh L Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
            > >>

            > >> The DSP is most of the radio. It isn't just used as a de-noiser like in
            > >> some HF radios.
            > >>
            > >> Leigh/WA5ZNU

          • pd0rtl
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2011
              The DSP is nice option.
              it is only a shame that the "DSP" filtering kick so late in.
              only if a voice realy is in bad noise it kicks in, and ehm, ye, the noise is gone.

              --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, pa3bya@... wrote:

              > SSB?
              > Packet Radio??
              > DStar??
              >
              > don't think this would be a trivial task to implement.
              >
              > Gerrit.
              >
              > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU" <leigh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > John,
              > >
              > > .............. so there's not a whole lot you can do to hack
              > > around with this radio as is.
              > >
              > > Leigh/WA5ZNU

            • john_kb0ne
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2011
                After playing around with SDR receivers and looking at the block diagram for this little radio, all I have to say is, "How Cool is that?". Basically an SDR/T in a tiny box.

                I think the UV-3R has outrageously nerdie modification possibilities.

                But that's just me..... John KB0NE

                PS I have 3 of them on a slow boat from China... can't wait to get ahold of them.