Re: uv-200 and uv-3r and something else

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
      No, but they have a lot of factories and building sites.

      Julian, G4ILO

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard G" <vacuumshop@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply.. I am amazed at the variety of radios that china is now making.. Do they have alot of Hams and non Hams in their country? Is radio more of a hobby than here in the states?
    • Bill Maxwell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
        Some years ago when together with a late colleague we were importing Quansheng radios into Australia, we suggested product changes to the factory but were informed that while our thoughts were appreciated, their immediate focus was on satisfying the demand of their 30,000 units per month domestic Chinese market. I don't think they were counting a single ham in that number.

        Bill, VK7MX
        On 1/06/2012 7:44 PM, g4ilo wrote:
        No, but they have a lot of factories and building sites.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard G" <vacuumshop@...> wrote:

        Thanks for the reply.. I am amazed at the variety of radios that china is now making.. Do they have alot of Hams and non Hams in their country? Is radio more of a hobby than here in the states?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            UV-3R-digest@yahoogroups.com
            UV-3R-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • geoffrey mendelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
          On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bill Maxwell wrote:

          > Some years ago when together with a late colleague we were importing
          > Quansheng radios into Australia, we suggested product changes to the
          > factory but were informed that while our thoughts were appreciated,
          > their immediate focus was on satisfying the demand of their 30,000
          > units per month domestic Chinese market. I don't think they were
          > counting a single ham in that number.

          There are hams in China, and I'm sure they are buying hundreds of
          those radios.

          They have been marketed as ham radios outside of China, because hams
          like the concept of buy a $35 radio, paying another $15 for postage
          and using it until it breaks.

          Government and commercial users still consider radios "magic boxes",
          which they buy for lots of money and keep paying high prices for
          support. At some point small companies, and so on will figure out that
          their money is best spent on buying them in large quantities for low
          prices, paying a tech by the hour to program them all, and then
          throwing them out as they break.

          For example, I have almost 20 year old Motorola HT600 radios. They
          have great sound are reliable and probably will, if treated with some
          respect last another 10 to 20 years. You can still buy batteries,
          antennas, programing cables, speaker mikes, etc.

          I also have UV-3R's, which while I expect (and do get) good service
          out of them, I have no illusions that they will last anywhere near as
          long.

          I paid the same price for 2 of the HT600 batteries as I did for the
          UV-3R complete kit.

          I have not used the Quangsheng radios, but they seem very attractive.
          The simple user interface, would make them a good deal for new hams,
          who just set their radio to a repeater and use it.

          Geoff.

          To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
          Facebooks.
        • Leonard G
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
            Thanks for the info, its really something all they put into a radio, and a flashlite..mine came with a pen in the package.. I bought one for a friend, now I will eventually program it for him so he learns the weather freq and other stuff, wow I'll be an Elmer..
            Is there any reason why we don't see chinese radios for the lower frequencies, for example 27Mhz or even lower? These radios would have a longer range and surely there must be a need?

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

            > On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bill Maxwell wrote:
            >

            > > Some years ago when together with a late colleague we were importing
            > > Quansheng radios into Australia, we suggested product changes to the
            > > factory but were informed that while our thoughts were appreciated,
            > > their immediate focus was on satisfying the demand of their 30,000
            > > units per month domestic Chinese market. I don't think they were
            > > counting a single ham in that number.
            > >

            > There are hams in China, and I'm sure they are buying hundreds of
            > those radios.
            >
            > They have been marketed as ham radios outside of China, because hams
            > like the concept of buy a $35 radio, paying another $15 for postage
            > and using it until it breaks.
            >
            > Government and commercial users still consider radios "magic boxes",
            > which they buy for lots of money and keep paying high prices for
            > support. At some point small companies, and so on will figure out that
            > their money is best spent on buying them in large quantities for low
            > prices, paying a tech by the hour to program them all, and then
            > throwing them out as they break.
            >
            > For example, I have almost 20 year old Motorola HT600 radios. They
            > have great sound are reliable and probably will, if treated with some
            > respect last another 10 to 20 years. You can still buy batteries,
            > antennas, programing cables, speaker mikes, etc.
            >
            > I also have UV-3R's, which while I expect (and do get) good service
            > out of them, I have no illusions that they will last anywhere near as
            > long.
            >
            > I paid the same price for 2 of the HT600 batteries as I did for the
            > UV-3R complete kit.
            >
            > I have not used the Quangsheng radios, but they seem very attractive.
            > The simple user interface, would make them a good deal for new hams,
            > who just set their radio to a repeater and use it.
            >
            > Geoff.
            >
            > --
            > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
            > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
            > Facebooks.

          • geoffrey mendelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2012
              On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Leonard G wrote:

              > These radios would have a longer range and surely there must be a
              > need?

              Probably not. These radios are LMR (land mobile radio) units that just
              happen to have ham bands stuck in the middle.

              LMR is where they make their money. They sell as many radios as the
              can produce to Chinese LMR users. The Chinese are not afflicted with
              the "we are going to spend big and hold onto it until it is forced by
              the lawyers to upgrade" disease most westerners are. They are quite
              willing to buy cheap, use it until it breaks, and then buy cheap again.

              There is a CB band on 245mHz, and VeroTelecom (the maker of the UV-3R,
              but not the UV-5R) has announced a UV-X5, with it in addition to the
              regular UV-3R coverage. Whether or not it can be "hacked" to produce
              any useful results on 220mHz is yet to be seen.

              There is LMR activity on 220mHz in Asia (e.g. The Philippines ), so
              that may be possible.

              Low band VHF is pretty much dead these days, everyone has moved up.
              There are some single band Chinese VHF mid band radios which are
              popular on 4m in the UK, I don't know if they can be nudged down to
              6m. In most of the world 6m is a CW/SSB band with no legal FM activity.

              There has not been a ham band FM HT made in VHF low since Azden gave
              up around 1996. There are
              a few 29mHz Motorola MT1000's around and they are fairly cheap, as
              there are even fewer buyers.

              There also are 26-30mHz Chinese HT's on the market, but since they can
              be hacked to be used as illegal CB freeband radios the price is high.
              There is no LMR market for them.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2012
                Really interesting, that was my question,, So China's lmr business happened to overlap the amatuer band and so that is good business,, I'm guessing that China will probably not produce scanners, or specialized amatuer radio that will not be sold world wide unless they have a market first in China,,I'd be surprised if they made scanners that might cover the Gov or police band, as that might go well in a communist country.. Thanks Again

                --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                > On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Leonard G wrote:
                >
                > > These radios would have a longer range and surely there must be a
                > > need?
                > >

                > Probably not. These radios are LMR (land mobile radio) units that just
                > happen to have ham bands stuck in the middle.
                >
                > LMR is where they make their money. They sell as many radios as the
                > can produce to Chinese LMR users. The Chinese are not afflicted with
                > the "we are going to spend big and hold onto it until it is forced by
                > the lawyers to upgrade" disease most westerners are. They are quite
                > willing to buy cheap, use it until it breaks, and then buy cheap again.
                >
                > There is a CB band on 245mHz, and VeroTelecom (the maker of the UV-3R,
                > but not the UV-5R) has announced a UV-X5, with it in addition to the
                > regular UV-3R coverage. Whether or not it can be "hacked" to produce
                > any useful results on 220mHz is yet to be seen.
                >
                > There is LMR activity on 220mHz in Asia (e.g. The Philippines ), so
                > that may be possible.
                >
                > Low band VHF is pretty much dead these days, everyone has moved up.
                > There are some single band Chinese VHF mid band radios which are
                > popular on 4m in the UK, I don't know if they can be nudged down to
                > 6m. In most of the world 6m is a CW/SSB band with no legal FM activity.
                >
                > There has not been a ham band FM HT made in VHF low since Azden gave
                > up around 1996. There are
                > a few 29mHz Motorola MT1000's around and they are fairly cheap, as
                > there are even fewer buyers.
                >
                > There also are 26-30mHz Chinese HT's on the market, but since they can
                > be hacked to be used as illegal CB freeband radios the price is high.
                > There is no LMR market for them.
                >
                > Geoff.
                > --
                > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
                > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
                > Facebooks.

              • geoffrey mendelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2012
                  On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:23 PM, Leonard G wrote:

                  > Really interesting, that was my question,, So China's lmr business
                  > happened to overlap the amatuer band and so that is good business,,
                  > I'm guessing that China will probably not produce scanners, or
                  > specialized amatuer radio that will not be sold world wide unless
                  > they have a market first in China,,I'd be surprised if they made
                  > scanners that might cover the Gov or police band, as that might go
                  > well in a communist country.. Thanks Again

                  There are hams in China, I spoke to one today via echolink.

                  While the Baofeng radios do not, some of the other ones have cheap
                  (voice inversion) scrambling.

                  I assume the military and government as needed have Motorola radios
                  (or unlicensed clones of them) with scrambling.

                  I hoping that the next set of radios will use a faster processing chip
                  and support P.25. :-)