UV-3R Plus programming problems

  • superpilav
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2012
      Hi,

      But the problem is that when i connect the usb to PC, it sounds like it's working, but it seems to have issues with drivers and the software can't connect with the radio.

      Any help, please?

      Thanks

      Nuno Filipe
    • jwheatleyus
      Message 2 of 16 , May 31, 2012
        Use FindComPort.exe to verify which port you cable has been assigned and then make sure the software is using that port.
        JohnW
        W5JHW

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "superpilav" <superpilav@...> wrote:

        > Hi,

        > But the problem is that when i connect the usb to PC, it sounds like it's working, but it seems to have issues with drivers and the software can't connect with the radio.
        >
        > Any help, please?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Nuno Filipe

      • Paul Mateer
        Message 3 of 16 , May 31, 2012
          Now this USB cable for programming...is this one of those "special" USB serial cables or can I just cut one off say an old mouse and make it?  I'm assuming its of the "special" type.  I still have a computer with the old DB-9 serial port on it....does the programming software still allow for those?

          --
          Paul Mateer, AA9GG
          Elan Engineering Corp.
          Message 4 of 16 , May 31, 2012
            On May 31, 2012, at 11:54 PM, Paul Mateer wrote:

            > Now this USB cable for programming...is this one of those "special"
            > USB serial cables or can I just cut one off say an old mouse and
            > make it? I'm assuming its of the "special" type. I still have a
            > computer with the old DB-9 serial port on it....does the programming
            > software still allow for those?

            The serial port works fine. In order to use it, you need to connect an
            RS232 (computer) to TTL (radio) level converter. You can buy a cable
            with a DB-9 connector on one end with the level converter in the hood
            for the connector.

            The USB to serial connector is already TTL, so you just need a cable
            from it.

            Mice and mouse cables are not compatible with either.

            You can also use a USB to RS232 adaptor and an RS232 cable if you wish.

            Note that there are many issues with the USB serial chips. The ones
            made by prolific work with all windows versions, BUT there are many
            cables out there (including the ones sold with the radios) that use
            counterfeit prolific chips and won't work with the latest Windows 7
            drivers.

            You have to install special Windows 7 drivers for them and make sure
            they are never updated. Windows update will attempt to update them
            immediately to drivers which detect they are counterfeit and refuse to
            work with them.

            There is someone on this list that makes them with a different USB to
            serial chip which does not have this problem.

            You should set the COM port for the USB serial device. Don't let it
            default. Chirp will use anything, the Baofeng software will only work
            with COM1-COM8.

            Geoff.
            To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
            Facebooks.
          • superpilav
            Message 5 of 16 , May 31, 2012
              Thank you all,

              From what you said, i think the problem is that i used a cable from an old mouse :P

              The Baofeng software only let me use COM3, and say what i've already said. CHIRP only give me an error on COM3 as well, and it says "Radio did not ACK first command"

              Now i'll search for an usb to serial cable and try again, OR, wait for other sugestions from you that possibly make this work :P

              Thank you

              Nuno Filipe
            • geoffrey mendelson
              Message 6 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:34 AM, superpilav wrote:

                > wait for other sugestions from you that possibly make this work :P

                Make what work?

                Message 7 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                  This usb cable from a mouse :D

                  --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                  > On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:34 AM, superpilav wrote:
                  >
                  > > wait for other sugestions from you that possibly make this work :P
                  >

                  > Make what work?
                  >
                  > Geoff.
                  > --
                  > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
                  > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
                  > Facebooks.

                • geoffrey mendelson
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                    On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:06 AM, superpilav wrote:

                    > This usb cable from a mouse :D

                    I don't think it is possible.

                    First of all the cable is not a cable, it is a USB to serial bridge
                    chip with a TTL output. It is one half of a USB to RS232 converter.
                    The USB to RS232 converter would be a bridge chip and a TTL to RS232
                    level converter.

                    Since the radio uses TTL levels, the level converter is unneeded.

                    The USB cable for a mouse is just a wire. The chip inside the mouse
                    converts the motion of the mouse to data which is sent down the wire
                    using the USB protocol. Some chips are smart enough to detect a PS/2
                    mouse port and just send the serial data without the USB.

                    Somewhere around I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard to USB converter.
                    It's also not just a cable, but a fairly sophisticated chip. It's not
                    designed to go the other way, so it's of no use for serial data.

                    The best thing to do is to buy a cable from eBay. While it takes two
                    weeks to a month to get one, depending upon where you are, they cost
                    about $9 including postage. That's probably less than the sum of the
                    parts unless you buy them in bulk from eBay vendors.

                    Note that the UV-3R (original and Mark II) cables are the same
                    electronics with a different plug, you can open up the bridge end (the
                    USB ones are easy, the RS-232 ones are almost impossible) and solder
                    on the three wires (ground, rd and td) to a cable with the right
                    connectors.

                    If you have both, you can make a dual type cable. :-)

                    Since Kenwood and Wouxon have been selling radios that use these
                    cables a lot longer than Baofeng, you may be able to find one of those
                    to use.

                    Maybe not. Until the Baofeng came out, there were very few either
                    Kenwood or Wouxun radios in ham use here, and I may have more UV-3R's
                    than there are Wouxun radios in the country.

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                      OK, i think i understood.

                      Now i have 2 options, i discovered 1 shop here in Lisbon, Portugal, that have a cheap converter USB to RS232. It's easy to use it to connect to the radio?
                      The second option it's another shop with a more expensive Wouxun program cable, and don't know if will work

                      What do you sugest?

                      Thanks

                      Nuno Filipe

                      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                      > On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:06 AM, superpilav wrote:
                      >
                      > > This usb cable from a mouse :D
                      >
                      > I don't think it is possible.
                      >
                      > First of all the cable is not a cable, it is a USB to serial bridge
                      > chip with a TTL output. It is one half of a USB to RS232 converter.
                      > The USB to RS232 converter would be a bridge chip and a TTL to RS232
                      > level converter.
                      >
                      > Since the radio uses TTL levels, the level converter is unneeded.
                      >
                      > The USB cable for a mouse is just a wire. The chip inside the mouse
                      > converts the motion of the mouse to data which is sent down the wire
                      > using the USB protocol. Some chips are smart enough to detect a PS/2
                      > mouse port and just send the serial data without the USB.
                      >
                      > Somewhere around I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard to USB converter.
                      > It's also not just a cable, but a fairly sophisticated chip. It's not
                      > designed to go the other way, so it's of no use for serial data.
                      >
                      > The best thing to do is to buy a cable from eBay. While it takes two
                      > weeks to a month to get one, depending upon where you are, they cost
                      > about $9 including postage. That's probably less than the sum of the
                      > parts unless you buy them in bulk from eBay vendors.
                      >
                      > Note that the UV-3R (original and Mark II) cables are the same
                      > electronics with a different plug, you can open up the bridge end (the
                      > USB ones are easy, the RS-232 ones are almost impossible) and solder
                      > on the three wires (ground, rd and td) to a cable with the right
                      > connectors.
                      >
                      > If you have both, you can make a dual type cable. :-)
                      >
                      > Since Kenwood and Wouxon have been selling radios that use these
                      > cables a lot longer than Baofeng, you may be able to find one of those
                      > to use.
                      >
                      > Maybe not. Until the Baofeng came out, there were very few either
                      > Kenwood or Wouxun radios in ham use here, and I may have more UV-3R's
                      > than there are Wouxun radios in the country.
                      >
                      > Geoff.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
                      > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
                      > Facebooks.

                    • geoffrey mendelson
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                        On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:51 AM, superpilav wrote:

                        > OK, i think i understood.
                        >
                        > Now i have 2 options, i discovered 1 shop here in Lisbon, Portugal,
                        > that have a cheap converter USB to RS232. It's easy to use it to
                        > connect to the radio?

                        No, you would have to open it up and connect to the USB to TTL bridge
                        chip directly. You may have to cut the rd and td lines to the TTL to
                        RS232 level converter chip. If you are good at it, it's probably
                        simple, if you are not, or the chips are potted (sealed into a glue)
                        then it is near impossible.

                        > The second option it's another shop with a more expensive Wouxun
                        > program cable, and don't know if will work

                        It can't say without question it will, because there is always the
                        possibility that it uses a strange bridge chip for which there are no
                        drivers, or it is broken, but let's say I'm 99% sure it will.

                        I'm not running Windows 7, so I have had no problem with drivers, but
                        I have had a defective cable. It turned out it it had a broken ground
                        wire in the cable from the USB chip to the radio.

                        I have plenty of audio cables with the 4 contact plug used for the
                        original UV-3R, so I just removed the broken cable and made myself an
                        spare original programing cable from it.

                        The cables I have for the Plus are an "original 409 shop", a Kenwood
                        cable from a random Chinese eBay vendor and several Kenwood/Wouxun
                        ones from Dealextreme back when they were under $7 each including
                        postage.

                        When I buy cables from eBay vendors, I usually buy more than one so
                        that if one is broken, I don't have to wait another month or two while
                        they replace it. I'm on a very limited budget, so I'd rather buy 3 $7
                        cables, than one $20 cable. :-)

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                          Well, thank you very much Geoffrey.

                          You're right, open up the converter could turn in a more expensive way than buy a proper cable. That made my decision easy :D

                          About buying the cables on ebay or 409shop, well after the experience with the radio i will not buy anything else so soon. The costums over here are stopping everything that came outside Europe, so, i don't want to wait for a cable that stay almost a month in costums, that's a pain in the... :P

                          Next question will be about antennas, but just after programming sucessfully :D

                          Thank you very much once again

                          Nuno Filipe
                        • KE4QNO
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                            On 05/31/2012 04:23 PM, superpilav wrote:
                            > Hi,

                            > But the problem is that when i connect the usb to PC, it sounds like it's working, but it seems to have issues with drivers and the software can't connect with the radio.
                            >
                            > Any help, please?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Nuno Filipe

                            Google "UV-3R FAQ". If you haven't started there... start your research
                            there.
                            73

                          • superpilav
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                              Hi folks,

                              Just bought the wouxun programming cable and it works fine :D

                              Thank you very much

                              Nuno Filipe
                            • geoffrey mendelson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                                On Jun 2, 2012, at 2:13 AM, superpilav wrote:

                                > Just bought the wouxun programming cable and it works fine :D

                                Glad to hear it. If you bought it from an EU source, please post the
                                contact information if you can.

                                This is a frequently asked question, with no good answer so far.

                                Geoff.
                                To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
                                Facebooks.
                              • Mike Bowthorpe
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 3, 2012
                                  Hi All

                                  You can buy tested programming leads from www.uv3r.com

                                  73
                                  Mike
                                  G0CVZ
                                  www.uv3r.com
                                • superpilav
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 3, 2012
                                    Hi,

                                    Yes, i bought it in a shop here in Portugal, they have online and physical shop:

                                    www.rms.pt

                                    Unfortunetly, they don't have the option of english language, but i'm sure that google can handel it :D otherwise you can ask me for help

                                    Nuno Filipe