using a cb mag mount

  • Nuno Xavier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hi all

      I have a mag mount for my CB radio antenna and a dual band "Midland
      Flex" antenna that would like to use together.

      Mag mount has two PL plugs (one at the end of the cable, another on
      the base mount). Cable is RG58 (not sure?), 4 meters long.

      Midland flex antenna has SMA plug, fully compatible with uv3r.

      Cost wise, I can get the both adapters for 10,7 Euro or a complete set
      of wire + sma mag mount for 15 plus shipping (3 meters RG-174 cable).

      Has anyone used plug adapters (PL to SMA) ont the uv-3r ? I'm afraid
      the adapters will cause to much strain on the fragile (?) antenna
      connector on the radio.

      Would I need to change cable length on the CB mag to make it
      compatible with uv3r when working on PMR freqs?

      Would the sma mag mount be compatible when working on vhf ?

      Any advise on this would be appreciated.
      --
      Kind regards
      Nuno
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012

         Does your Cb mount have a coil in the base?

         If so it may cause a problem..

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
          I've use NMO mag mount why running my UV-3R HT as well as other radio equipment from. This would be on the ham bands. My SMA works great between the different adapters

          Don
          VA7DGP
          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

          From: Nuno Xavier <NAXAVIER@...>
          Sender: UV-3R@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:00:58 +0000
          To: <UV-3R@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: UV-3R@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        • Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012

            I have a picture in the photo section showing how I remove the strain on the antenna connector when using a remote antenna and it is called “Strain Relief”.

            Lee – N9LO

            Sent by my Windows PC, a real computer.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
              Thank you all.
              Checked the strain relief photo - nice idea, Lee.
              Nuno

              2012/2/1 Lee <mr.olson@...>

[...]

              Cumprimentos
            • Lee Mairs (SAG)