Re: [UV-3R] New here, considering a UV-3R ...

  • DavidN
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hi Chris. Totally agree with Adrian M3ONL, your son will not be disappointed! In fact the UV-3R is in some ways better than the VX-3R - it can run 2w on both VHF and UHF whereas the VX-3R cannot (1.5w VHF, 1w UHF). It's also as sensitive if not more so. Also, the UV-3R in narrow mode uses a narrow filter, the VX-3R doesn't. However, please do get a decent whip antenna for it if not used on an external one. There are comments in the FAQ about this.

      Actually, there's a very well written article comparing the two rigs. However, it was written some six months or more ago, so some comments do not now relate to the Mk.II version.

      Enjoy!

      http://n9ewo.angelfire.com/vx3r.html

      Please let us know when your son starts on the air with the UV-3R and no doubt some of our members can have a QSO!

      Regards, David G4TUP.

      On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Speedmaster <meisenzahl@...> wrote:

      I have a Yaesu VX-3R and love it, I'm considering a UV-3R as a second radio for my 13 year old son.

      Any words of wisdom? I've already started reading through this forum's faq. Glad I found this group.

      Thanks and have a great day,
      Chris
      http://www.pretenseofknowledge.com/

    • Speedmaster
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
        Thanks, guys, Just pulled the trigger on the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II, about $45 shipped from the usual auction site. ;-)

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, DavidN <david@...> wrote:

        > Hi Chris. Totally agree with Adrian M3ONL, your son will not be
        > disappointed! In fact the UV-3R is in some ways better than the VX-3R - it
        > can run 2w on both VHF and UHF whereas the VX-3R cannot (1.5w VHF, 1w UHF).
        > It's also as sensitive if not more so. Also, the UV-3R in narrow mode uses
        > a narrow filter, the VX-3R doesn't. However, please do get a decent whip
        > antenna for it if not used on an external one. There are comments in the
        > FAQ about this.
        >
        > Actually, there's a very well written article comparing the two rigs.
        > However, it was written some six months or more ago, so some comments do
        > not now relate to the Mk.II version.
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > http://n9ewo.angelfire.com/vx3r.html
        >
        > Please let us know when your son starts on the air with the UV-3R and no
        > doubt some of our members can have a QSO!
        >
        > Regards, David G4TUP.
        >

        > On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Speedmaster <meisenzahl@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I have a Yaesu VX-3R and love it, I'm considering a UV-3R as a second
        > > radio for my 13 year old son.
        > >
        > > Any words of wisdom? I've already started reading through this forum's
        > > faq. Glad I found this group.
        > >
        > > Thanks and have a great day,
        > > Chris
        > > http://www.pretenseofknowledge.com/

      • Bart KA7ZFD
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
          He'll love it, don't worry.
          When yo get it, run it thru it's paces and report that info in the database so we can track what the manufacturer is doing --
          Bet you a chuckle that you end up getting one for a backup!

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Speedmaster" <meisenzahl@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, guys, Just pulled the trigger on the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II, about $45 shipped from the usual auction site. ;-)
          >
          > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, DavidN <david@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Chris. Totally agree with Adrian M3ONL, your son will not be
          > > disappointed! In fact the UV-3R is in some ways better than the VX-3R - it
          > > can run 2w on both VHF and UHF whereas the VX-3R cannot (1.5w VHF, 1w UHF).
          > > It's also as sensitive if not more so. Also, the UV-3R in narrow mode uses
          > > a narrow filter, the VX-3R doesn't. However, please do get a decent whip
          > > antenna for it if not used on an external one. There are comments in the
          > > FAQ about this.
          > >
          > > Actually, there's a very well written article comparing the two rigs.
          > > However, it was written some six months or more ago, so some comments do
          > > not now relate to the Mk.II version.
          > >
          > > Enjoy!
          > >
          > > http://n9ewo.angelfire.com/vx3r.html
          > >
          > > Please let us know when your son starts on the air with the UV-3R and no
          > > doubt some of our members can have a QSO!
          > >
          > > Regards, David G4TUP.
          > >

          > > On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Speedmaster <meisenzahl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > I have a Yaesu VX-3R and love it, I'm considering a UV-3R as a second
          > > > radio for my 13 year old son.
          > > >
          > > > Any words of wisdom? I've already started reading through this forum's
          > > > faq. Glad I found this group.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks and have a great day,
          > > > Chris
          > > > http://www.pretenseofknowledge.com/

        • kc2mlv
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2012
            As the UV-3R is not a ham radio but rather a freeband 2-way radio, please warn your son of the potential consequences of transmitting 'out' of band.

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Bart KA7ZFD" <ka7zfd@...> wrote:

            > He'll love it, don't worry.
            > When yo get it, run it thru it's paces and report that info in the database so we can track what the manufacturer is doing --
            > Bet you a chuckle that you end up getting one for a backup!
            >
            > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Speedmaster" <meisenzahl@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, guys, Just pulled the trigger on the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II, about $45 shipped from the usual auction site. ;-)
            > >
            > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, DavidN <david@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Chris. Totally agree with Adrian M3ONL, your son will not be
            > > > disappointed! In fact the UV-3R is in some ways better than the VX-3R - it
            > > > can run 2w on both VHF and UHF whereas the VX-3R cannot (1.5w VHF, 1w UHF).
            > > > It's also as sensitive if not more so. Also, the UV-3R in narrow mode uses
            > > > a narrow filter, the VX-3R doesn't. However, please do get a decent whip
            > > > antenna for it if not used on an external one. There are comments in the
            > > > FAQ about this.
            > > >
            > > > Actually, there's a very well written article comparing the two rigs.
            > > > However, it was written some six months or more ago, so some comments do
            > > > not now relate to the Mk.II version.
            > > >
            > > > Enjoy!
            > > >
            > > > http://n9ewo.angelfire.com/vx3r.html
            > > >
            > > > Please let us know when your son starts on the air with the UV-3R and no
            > > > doubt some of our members can have a QSO!
            > > >
            > > > Regards, David G4TUP.

          • colin McDonald
            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2012
              yep, and make sure you tell him that he'll burn himself if he touches a hot stove too lol...
              regards
              Colin