Re: [UV-3R] Question...what would be the point of dual watch.....

  • DavidN
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hi ML. Basically, the Mk.I had a single frequency readout on the LCD screen.

      However, during the life of the Mk.II so far a number of changes have taken place e.g. change from 18 to 19 menu, reduction of 2nd harmonic etc etc.

      I suggest you have a look at the database for full changes :

      You might like to compare your serial numbers with the ones in the database. Note that Mk.Is started with high serial numbers, when the Mk.IIs came in they had low serial numbers, which can be confusing! :)

      .d. G4TUP.

      On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM, mldollins <mldollins@...> wrote:

      I have 3 HT's now and I am trying to see by that is a selling point....

      Secondly, What is different regarding the mark II over the previous versions.

    • Robert_Chang_Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
        True dual watch is very useful in crossband operations.

        When doing one way crossbanding, this is a means to operate with effectively a ~300MHz split. For example, the HT is configured to listen on VHF to the repeater's direct output. The transmit, however, takes place on UFH to the UHF/VFH crossbanding mobile.

        When doing full two way crossbanding, a dual watch HT provides something akin to receive diversity. The audio coming out of the speaker is selected from the stronger of the VHF signal (directly from the repeater) or the UHF signal (from your crossband mobile.)

        The Mark II has a dual line display. It shows the frequency of both bands the radio is monitoring.

        I had the original UV-3R, but that was stolen recently. I expect to receive a Mark II in a few weeks time. Frankly, from reading the documentation, I'm a bit skeptical about Baofeng's dual watch implementation. Rather than listening concurrently on two, true parallel channels, the UV-3R instead just samples the secondary channel once every 5 seconds. We'll see...