Re: Firmware Changing Software?

  • vimproved
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
      If you look in the settings.ini file for the uv-3r you will see these lines:

      [ModelInfo]

      Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
      data0=6013401700400047

      Freq1=[144-146/430-440]
      data1=4014601400430044

      Freq2=[144-148/430-450]
      data2=4014801400430045

      The 'Freq' line is the label to be shown in the software.
      The 'data' line is the binary coded decimal value to be sent to the radio. The data line is broken into 4 groups of 4 characters. i.e.

      4014801400430045=4014 8014 0043 0045

      The first 2 groups correspond to the VHF frequency limits, the second the UHF limits. You must revers the byte order to get the appropriate value.

      4014 8014 = 1440 1480 = 144MHz->148MHz

      As these are the raw values to be written to the radio I would assume you could change the value of 'data' to be whatever you want. FOr example I want to limit my radio to 430MHz->470MHz (there is sweet f-all below 430MHz in the UK) I would change 'data' to:

      4014801400430047

      This gives me 144->148MHz & 430->470MHz.

      I have not actually tried this yet as I don't have a programming cable.

      What would be totally awesome is if somone could get the dev board from the MCu manufacturer (around 50 euros) and dump the firmware. Then set the location the radio reads the frequency limits from as a pointer to the data in channels 95-99. We would then alter the freqs in these channels to define the bandwidths on the fly. That would make scanning a smaller bandwidth MUCH easier. It would be sooooooweeeeeeet!

      (in fact if that was the case, I would find the 'scan' routine and change it to only scan in a 1-2MHz window only, now that would be badass.)
      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:

      > To answer your question, I don't know of any software that will expand the range of the UV-3R beyond 136-174 / 400-470MHz.
      >
      > John KB0NE
      >
      > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "pstewart99" <pstewart99@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was able to fully open up my Wouxun KG-UVD1P firmware to it's full frequency range (144 to 520 MHz) with a application I found on the web. I wondering if there is similar for the UV-3R?

    • lukas2r
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 28, 2011
        I was one of the first to know about this change .. almost since its release the new software V.1.07.
        My radio "Baofeng uv3r" works, from 130 to 260 MHz and 400 to 520 MHz

        Do you know how to change the FM radio? It 'can be used from 76 to 108 MHz, but I can not program it with the software.

        I await news,
        goodbye

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "vimproved" <juicedun911@...> wrote:

        > If you look in the settings.ini file for the uv-3r you will see these lines:
        >
        > [ModelInfo]
        >
        > Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
        > data0=6013401700400047
        >
        > Freq1=[144-146/430-440]
        > data1=4014601400430044
        >
        > Freq2=[144-148/430-450]
        > data2=4014801400430045
        >
        > The 'Freq' line is the label to be shown in the software.
        > The 'data' line is the binary coded decimal value to be sent to the radio. The data line is broken into 4 groups of 4 characters. i.e.
        >
        > 4014801400430045=4014 8014 0043 0045
        >
        > The first 2 groups correspond to the VHF frequency limits, the second the UHF limits. You must revers the byte order to get the appropriate value.
        >
        > 4014 8014 = 1440 1480 = 144MHz->148MHz
        >
        > As these are the raw values to be written to the radio I would assume you could change the value of 'data' to be whatever you want. FOr example I want to limit my radio to 430MHz->470MHz (there is sweet f-all below 430MHz in the UK) I would change 'data' to:
        >
        > 4014801400430047
        >
        > This gives me 144->148MHz & 430->470MHz.
        >

        > I have not actually tried this yet as I don't have a programming cable.
        >
        > What would be totally awesome is if somone could get the dev board from the MCu manufacturer (around 50 euros) and dump the firmware. Then set the location the radio reads the frequency limits from as a pointer to the data in channels 95-99. We would then alter the freqs in these channels to define the bandwidths on the fly. That would make scanning a smaller bandwidth MUCH easier. It would be sooooooweeeeeeet!
        >
        > (in fact if that was the case, I would find the 'scan' routine and change it to only scan in a 1-2MHz window only, now that would be badass.)
        > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > To answer your question, I don't know of any software that will expand the range of the UV-3R beyond 136-174 / 400-470MHz.
        > >
        > > John KB0NE
        > >
        > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "pstewart99" <pstewart99@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I was able to fully open up my Wouxun KG-UVD1P firmware to it's full frequency range (144 to 520 MHz) with a application I found on the web. I wondering if there is similar for the UV-3R?

      • nr7j
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 28, 2011
          where do we find the new software V.1.07 ?

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "lukas2r" <lukas2r@...> wrote:

          > I was one of the first to know about this change .. almost since its release the new software V.1.07.
          > My radio "Baofeng uv3r" works, from 130 to 260 MHz and 400 to 520 MHz
          >
          > Do you know how to change the FM radio? It 'can be used from 76 to 108 MHz, but I can not program it with the software.
          >
          > I await news,
          > goodbye
          >
          > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "vimproved" <juicedun911@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If you look in the settings.ini file for the uv-3r you will see these lines:
          > >
          > > [ModelInfo]
          > >
          > > Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
          > > data0=6013401700400047
          > >
          > > Freq1=[144-146/430-440]
          > > data1=4014601400430044
          > >
          > > Freq2=[144-148/430-450]
          > > data2=4014801400430045
          > >
          > > The 'Freq' line is the label to be shown in the software.
          > > The 'data' line is the binary coded decimal value to be sent to the radio. The data line is broken into 4 groups of 4 characters. i.e.
          > >
          > > 4014801400430045=4014 8014 0043 0045
          > >
          > > The first 2 groups correspond to the VHF frequency limits, the second the UHF limits. You must revers the byte order to get the appropriate value.
          > >
          > > 4014 8014 = 1440 1480 = 144MHz->148MHz
          > >
          > > As these are the raw values to be written to the radio I would assume you could change the value of 'data' to be whatever you want. FOr example I want to limit my radio to 430MHz->470MHz (there is sweet f-all below 430MHz in the UK) I would change 'data' to:
          > >
          > > 4014801400430047
          > >
          > > This gives me 144->148MHz & 430->470MHz.
          > >

          > > I have not actually tried this yet as I don't have a programming cable.
          > >
          > > What would be totally awesome is if somone could get the dev board from the MCu manufacturer (around 50 euros) and dump the firmware. Then set the location the radio reads the frequency limits from as a pointer to the data in channels 95-99. We would then alter the freqs in these channels to define the bandwidths on the fly. That would make scanning a smaller bandwidth MUCH easier. It would be sooooooweeeeeeet!
          > >
          > > (in fact if that was the case, I would find the 'scan' routine and change it to only scan in a 1-2MHz window only, now that would be badass.)
          > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > To answer your question, I don't know of any software that will expand the range of the UV-3R beyond 136-174 / 400-470MHz.
          > > >
          > > > John KB0NE

        • jays3hds
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 29, 2011
            .

            Hello

            This worked to open up my uv-3r,to 520, as that is as far as I tried.

            Thank you very much for the info.

            Jay

          • bartvanallen@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 29, 2011
              The version I downloaded from the Baofeng website about a week ago shows it as version 1.07 --

              --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "nr7j" <nr7j@...> wrote:

              > where do we find the new software V.1.07 ?
              >

              > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "lukas2r" <lukas2r@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I was one of the first to know about this change .. almost since its release the new software V.1.07.
              > > My radio "Baofeng uv3r" works, from 130 to 260 MHz and 400 to 520 MHz
              > >
              > > Do you know how to change the FM radio? It 'can be used from 76 to 108 MHz, but I can not program it with the software.
              > >
              > > I await news,
              > > goodbye
              > >
              > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "vimproved" <juicedun911@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > If you look in the settings.ini file for the uv-3r you will see these lines:
              > > >
              > > > [ModelInfo]
              > > >
              > > > Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
              > > > data0=6013401700400047
              > > >
              > > > Freq1=[144-146/430-440]
              > > > data1=4014601400430044
              > > >
              > > > Freq2=[144-148/430-450]
              > > > data2=4014801400430045
              > > >
              > > > The 'Freq' line is the label to be shown in the software.
              > > > The 'data' line is the binary coded decimal value to be sent to the radio. The data line is broken into 4 groups of 4 characters. i.e.
              > > >
              > > > 4014801400430045=4014 8014 0043 0045
              > > >
              > > > The first 2 groups correspond to the VHF frequency limits, the second the UHF limits. You must revers the byte order to get the appropriate value.
              > > >
              > > > 4014 8014 = 1440 1480 = 144MHz->148MHz
              > > >
              > > > As these are the raw values to be written to the radio I would assume you could change the value of 'data' to be whatever you want. FOr example I want to limit my radio to 430MHz->470MHz (there is sweet f-all below 430MHz in the UK) I would change 'data' to:
              > > >
              > > > 4014801400430047
              > > >
              > > > This gives me 144->148MHz & 430->470MHz.
              > > >

              > > > I have not actually tried this yet as I don't have a programming cable.
              > > >
              > > > What would be totally awesome is if somone could get the dev board from the MCu manufacturer (around 50 euros) and dump the firmware. Then set the location the radio reads the frequency limits from as a pointer to the data in channels 95-99. We would then alter the freqs in these channels to define the bandwidths on the fly. That would make scanning a smaller bandwidth MUCH easier. It would be sooooooweeeeeeet!
              > > >
              > > > (in fact if that was the case, I would find the 'scan' routine and change it to only scan in a 1-2MHz window only, now that would be badass.)

            • Tim Tabler
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 29, 2011

                Same

              • Shaun
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 29, 2011
                  Hi Group,

                  Has anyone measured the sensitivity of the reciever in these extended bands?
                  Also on other radios I have been told the Tx dropps quite a bit out of band.

                  It may be worth putting a modified radio though some tests to see how it
                  behaves. For me the extended range would enable UHF CB.

                  Shaun
                  > This worked to open up my uv-3r,to 520, as that is as far as I tried.
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for the info.
                  >
                  > Jay

                  > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "vimproved" <juicedun911@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> If you look in the settings.ini file for the uv-3r you will see these
                  >> lines:
                  >>
                  >> [ModelInfo]
                  >>
                  >> Freq0=[136-174/400-470]
                  >> data0=6013401700400047
                  >>
                  >> Freq1=[144-146/430-440]
                  >> data1=4014601400430044
                  >>
                  >> Freq2=[144-148/430-450]
                  >> data2=4014801400430045
                  >>
                  >> The 'Freq' line is the label to be shown in the software.
                  >> The 'data' line is the binary coded decimal value to be sent to the
                  >> radio. The data line is broken into 4 groups of 4 characters. i.e.
                  >>
                  >> 4014801400430045=4014 8014 0043 0045
                  >>
                  >> The first 2 groups correspond to the VHF frequency limits, the second the
                  >> UHF limits. You must revers the byte order to get the appropriate value.
                  >>
                  >> 4014 8014 = 1440 1480 = 144MHz->148MHz
                  >>
                  >> As these are the raw values to be written to the radio I would assume you
                  >> could change the value of 'data' to be whatever you want. FOr example I
                  >> want to limit my radio to 430MHz->470MHz (there is sweet f-all below
                  >> 430MHz in the UK) I would change 'data' to:
                  >>
                  >> 4014801400430047
                  >>
                  >> This gives me 144->148MHz & 430->470MHz.
                  >>

                  >> I have not actually tried this yet as I don't have a programming cable.
                  >>
                  >> What would be totally awesome is if somone could get the dev board from
                  >> the MCu manufacturer (around 50 euros) and dump the firmware. Then set
                  >> the location the radio reads the frequency limits from as a pointer to
                  >> the data in channels 95-99. We would then alter the freqs in these
                  >> channels to define the bandwidths on the fly. That would make scanning a
                  >> smaller bandwidth MUCH easier. It would be sooooooweeeeeeet!
                  >>
                  >> (in fact if that was the case, I would find the 'scan' routine and change
                  >> it to only scan in a 1-2MHz window only, now that would be badass.)
                  >> --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > To answer your question, I don't know of any software that will expand
                  >> > the range of the UV-3R beyond 136-174 / 400-470MHz.
                  >> >
                  >> > John KB0NE

                  > -----
                  > No virus found in this message.

                • BD
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                    Would it be possible for you to post a link to the new version?

                    Thanks!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                      Newest version I could find is 1.08 (which I use) located here:
                      http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=222

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                        v1.07 located here:
                        http://www.radioshop888.com/shop_displaynews.php?id=292&locate=1

                        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, bartvanallen@... wrote:

                        > Newest version I could find is 1.08 (which I use) located here:
                        > http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=222
                        >
                        > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Would it be possible for you to post a link to the new version?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, bartvanallen@ wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The version I downloaded from the Baofeng website about a week ago shows it as version 1.07 --

                      • Colin Bate
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                          I have version 1.09 from http://www.409shop.com/shop_displaynews.php?id=292 this i believe is latest version.

                          Regards
                          Colin Bate
                        • lukas2r
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 1, 2011
                            With version 1.07 you can change the frequencies of FM radio.
                            With V.1.09 is impossible.
                            This software has many bugs.