Re: Mark II Programing Help

  • deputyjoel
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
      Any fix?

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, kf1buz@... wrote:

      > Mine does that with .270. Says .26999

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
        What is your step setting?
        Steve

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
          It's set to 5K. Very strange, any help would be appreciated. I can put 154.900 in and it is fine. I can put 154.880 in and it holds, but I put 154.890 and it jumps to 154.8899? I can't figure it out and I have looked over the settings.

          HELP!!!

          --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <k8sar@...> wrote:

          > What is your step setting?
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "deputyjoel" <deputyjoel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a UV-3R Mark II and software version 1.07. When I try and enter a TX frequency of 154.890 it switches to 154.889 and won't take .890. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

        • Bill Maxwell
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
            I have found a similar situation in entering transmit frequencies for some repeater pairs. Typically the receive frequency enters ok, for example 147.0000 goes in but the transmit frequency enters as 146.4001, even though my typed entry clearly showed as 146.4000 before I moved the cursor from that field.

            Bill

            On 3/10/2011 3:48 PM, deputyjoel wrote:
            It's set to 5K.  Very strange, any help would be appreciated.  I can put 154.900 in and it is fine.  I can put 154.880 in and it holds, but I put 154.890 and it jumps to 154.8899?  I can't figure it out and I have looked over the settings.

            HELP!!!

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <k8sar@...> wrote:

            What is your step setting?
            Steve

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "deputyjoel" <deputyjoel@> wrote:

            I have a UV-3R Mark II and software version 1.07.  When I try and enter a TX frequency of 154.890 it switches to 154.889 and won't take .890.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                UV-3R-digest@yahoogroups.com
                UV-3R-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            I use BullGuard Spamfilter to keep my inbox clean.
            It is completely free: www.bullguard.com/freespamfilter
          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
              Use CHIRP.

              Julian, G4ILO

              --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "deputyjoel" <deputyjoel@...> wrote:

              > Any fix?
              >
              > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, kf1buz@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Mine does that with .270. Says .26999
            • Yuriy Novostavskiy
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
                Did someone use Mark II with CHIRP?

                BR,
                Yuriy

                On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                Use CHIRP.

                Julian, G4ILO

                --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "deputyjoel" <deputyjoel@...> wrote:

                > Any fix?
                >
                > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, kf1buz@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Mine does that with .270. Says .26999

              • Buck - k4ia
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
                  I give - I have noticed the same thing. What is CHIRP?
                  Buck
                  k4ia

                  On 10/3/2011 4:10 AM, g4ilo wrote:
                  Use CHIRP.

                  Julian, G4ILO

                  --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "deputyjoel" <deputyjoel@...> wrote:

                  Any fix?

                  --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, kf1buz@ wrote:

                  Mine does that with .270. Says .26999

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      UV-3R-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      UV-3R-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Darvell Hunt (N7LN)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
                    This is a round off error in the computer. Computer can't understand numbers with decimals, so they use integer numbers to approximate floating point numbers. If not enough precision is used in the program, the numbers seen can be slightly off like this. There ARE things you can do, as a programmer, to minimize these problem, although the issue cannot be solved completely. Apparently, not enough attention was given to this issue when designing the program. (I'm assuming it on the computer frequency programming side and not the radio side, but it's hard to tell from the descriptions I've seen.)

                    Yes, I'm a computer programmer by profession and have seen this issue sometimes in my own code. You can write work-around code to help avoid it, but it cannot be completely solved. But if you are seeing this issue (and obviously you are!), some programmer didn't finish his job.

                    So, as a user, you may be able to enter a different frequency to get what you want. I don't have the programming software installed yet, but you may be able to type something like 146.9999 to get 146.4000. This way, you are counting upon the round-off error to get the end result that you want. I don't know if that will work in this situation, but it's work a try.

                    Darvell

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011

                        CHIRP is free software that allows you to program many types of radios and use data from one brand on another.  Just Google chirp software and you will find it.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2011
                            Thanks for the reply and explanation. This is a significant issue in my opinion. Even though it is slight, I want to be broadcasting on frequency. I have found this to be a problem programming several frequencies with the Mark II 1.7 version software. Not happy with the new software. Perhaps there will be a fix with a new version, otherwise, I'm not using it.

                            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for that explanation, Darvell. I'll try you suggestion a bit
                            > later, although I doubt that the error will make any practical
                            > difference to normal operation of the radio.
                            >
                            > Bill, VK7MX
                            >
                            > On 4/10/2011 2:21 AM, Darvell Hunt (N7LN) wrote:
                            > >

                            > > This is a round off error in the computer. Computer can't understand
                            > > numbers with decimals, so they use integer numbers to approximate
                            > > floating point numbers. If not enough precision is used in the
                            > > program, the numbers seen can be slightly off like this. There ARE
                            > > things you can do, as a programmer, to minimize these problem,
                            > > although the issue cannot be solved completely. Apparently, not enough
                            > > attention was given to this issue when designing the program. (I'm
                            > > assuming it on the computer frequency programming side and not the
                            > > radio side, but it's hard to tell from the descriptions I've seen.)
                            > >
                            > > Yes, I'm a computer programmer by profession and have seen this issue
                            > > sometimes in my own code. You can write work-around code to help avoid
                            > > it, but it cannot be completely solved. But if you are seeing this
                            > > issue (and obviously you are!), some programmer didn't finish his job.
                            > >
                            > > So, as a user, you may be able to enter a different frequency to get
                            > > what you want. I don't have the programming software installed yet,
                            > > but you may be able to type something like 146.9999 to get 146.4000.
                            > > This way, you are counting upon the round-off error to get the end
                            > > result that you want. I don't know if that will work in this
                            > > situation, but it's work a try.
                            > >
                            > > Darvell

                          • DavidN
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                              I'm sorry but I don't agree this is a significant issue. The difference is only 100Hz, which on FM is unnoticeable. If we were talking CW then yes a difference would be noticed....

                              .d. G4TUP.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                I think it is a significant issue because we don't know what gets written to the radio when this happens. It probably doesn't expect a number with that many digits. I don't know if there is a contact address but someone ought to tell whoever wrote the program about this issue, and the one I discovered that affects programming the priority channel.

                                Julian, G4ILO

                                --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, DavidN <david@...> wrote:

                                > I'm sorry but I don't agree this is a significant issue. The difference is
                                > only 100Hz, which on FM is unnoticeable. If we were talking CW then yes a
                                > difference would be noticed....

                              • aubreycttx
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                  While I haven't tried writing this to the radio, I used the software to create a channel with a RX of 154.690 and a TX of 154.890 just to see what would happen. I then saved the file to disk and examined it in a hex dump. First of all, as soon as I finished typing 154.890 the software changed it to 154.88999, so I can confirm the problem (using the latest download from 409Shop, which says 1.08 on the setup program, but 1.07 in the about window).

                                  The file saved by the software stores the RX frequency and the offset. Looking at the file showed that the offset was indeed 0.19999 instead of 0.2, so the rounding error is being propagated to the image file.

                                  From the first time I looked at the UV-3R data file, I strongly suspected that it was just an image of what is in the radio. A glance at the CHIRP source tree seems to confirm this (as it defines a data structure that matches what I had eyeballed from my initial poking around).

                                  So... my conclusion is that this rounding issue will be propagated to the radio if you should write the image, and that your TX frequency will be off slightly, since the radio actually stores the channel internally as an RX frequency with an offset to the TX frequency, rather than having discrete frequencies in the memory channel.

                                  As a short-term workaround, one could save the image to the radio, then manually edit the channel settings on the radio (i.e. change the offset) and then save the memory location again. Of course this would be overwritten the next time you wrote the image to the unit with the software.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                    My guess is that the frequency on the radio is a real number, not using actual digits, as you see on the display. The radio has a computerized display and I'm betting the frequency really is set to whatever the software tells it. Without seeing more about how the radio perceives these numbers, though, it would be really hard to tell.

                                    Darvell

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                      As a computer programmer and understanding how the round-off error works, I would agree with your assessment.

                                      Darvell (N7LN)

                                      While I haven't tried writing this to the radio, I used the software to create a channel with a RX of 154.690 and a TX of 154.890 just to see what would happen. I then saved the file to disk and examined it in a hex dump. First of all, as soon as I finished typing 154.890 the software changed it to 154.88999, so I can confirm the problem (using the latest download from 409Shop, which says 1.08 on the setup program, but 1.07 in the about window).

                                      The file saved by the software stores the RX frequency and the offset. Looking at the file showed that the offset was indeed 0.19999 instead of 0.2, so the rounding error is being propagated to the image file.

                                      From the first time I looked at the UV-3R data file, I strongly suspected that it was just an image of what is in the radio. A glance at the CHIRP source tree seems to confirm this (as it defines a data structure that matches what I had eyeballed from my initial poking around).

                                      So... my conclusion is that this rounding issue will be propagated to the radio if you should write the image, and that your TX frequency will be off slightly, since the radio actually stores the channel internally as an RX frequency with an offset to the TX frequency, rather than having discrete frequencies in the memory channel.

                                      As a short-term workaround, one could save the image to the radio, then manually edit the channel settings on the radio (i.e. change the offset) and then save the memory location again. Of course this would be overwritten the next time you wrote the image to the unit with the software.

                                      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                                      > I think it is a significant issue because we don't know what gets written to the radio when this happens. It probably doesn't expect a number with that many digits. I don't know if there is a contact address but someone ought to tell whoever wrote the program about this issue, and the one I discovered that affects programming the priority channel.
                                      >
                                      > Julian, G4ILO
                                      >
                                      > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, DavidN <david@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm sorry but I don't agree this is a significant issue. The difference is
                                      > > only 100Hz, which on FM is unnoticeable. If we were talking CW then yes a
                                      > > difference would be noticed....

                                    • kk7tj_tim
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                        Try Chirp.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                          Thanks for the advice. I found the Chirp software and I'll give it a try. It looks interesting that you can use it to program both the Baofeng and Wouxun radios.

                                          Joel K6OJN

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                                            Thank you for your time and explanation of the problem! It is nice to have some computer programing knowledge!

                                            Joel K6OJN