Re: MFJ-1714 2m antenna

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 1 12:35 AM
      The less obvious benefit of using a BNC adapter is that BNC is a more robust connector if you frequently change antennas. SMA connectors tend to become unreliable with age because the center pin of the antenna turns in the socket causing wear.

      Julian, G4ILO

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "colin McDonald" <blulemon@...> wrote:

      > you should have perhaps bought the 1715S, same thing, but really thin, and doesn't telescope, and has an SMA connecter instead of a BNC.
      > I took the UV3r apart the other day to modify the pin hole in front of the microphone for better pass through audio...and found that the SMA connecter is very well mounted right into the main heat sink of the radio.
      > Better design in fact than either my kenwood TH F6A or my icom ICt90a as far as strength goes. So don't worry too much about snapping the SMA off or damaging it too much...although, with an SMA M to BNC F adapter, then the BNC connecter on the antenna, you are much more likely to cause allot of leverage on that poor little connecter.
    • J S
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1 5:48 AM
        I have a 6 year old Yaesu FT60 60R and the SMA is just fine, but now the light weight UV-3R has taken its place.

        Joe
        WA2DZO

        The less obvious benefit of using a BNC adapter is that BNC is a more robust connector if you frequently change antennas. SMA connectors tend to become unreliable with age because the center pin of the antenna turns in the socket causing wear.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "colin McDonald" <blulemon@...> wrote:

        > you should have perhaps bought the 1715S, same thing, but really thin, and doesn't telescope, and has an SMA connecter instead of a BNC.
        > I took the UV3r apart the other day to modify the pin hole in front of the microphone for better pass through audio...and found that the SMA connecter is very well mounted right into the main heat sink of the radio.
        > Better design in fact than either my kenwood TH F6A or my icom ICt90a as far as strength goes. So don't worry too much about snapping the SMA off or damaging it too much...although, with an SMA M to BNC F adapter, then the BNC connecter on the antenna, you are much more likely to cause allot of leverage on that poor little connecter.

      • Russell Millspaw
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 1 9:02 AM
          Yes you bought the wrong battery. There are 2 types of NP-60 series batteries. The Baofeng UV-3R uses a standard NP-60 type, there is another NP-60 CA series that is much smaller and has a small "tab" on the top corner. This series is used in Casio products and isn't close to fitting the UV-3R.  And yes I am speaking from personal experience.   good thing they aren't expensive ;-)       Russ

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 1 11:42 PM
            Cliff,
            Looking at the picture of the Casio NP-60 battery you bought it is not the same as a Toshiba or Fuji NP-60 which is the one you need for the UV-3R. Just to confuse matters even more Casio (or the online dealers) appear to number these as an NP-30.

            Julian M0JPW.

            --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "nr7j" <nr7j@...> wrote:

            > Yep, I noticed that the UV-3R batteries fit very tight in the radio so I'm using those in my VX-3R and the Yaesu's in the UV-3R. No problem with the off brand charger. Both batteries fit just fine.
            >
            > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "ac0fo" <cliff.tanner@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hmmm, I just received an NP-60 battery and charger from an ebay merchant and the battery is smaller than the one in my Baofeng and the battery from my radio won't fin into the charger.
            > >
            > > This is what I received: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370520283007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
            > >
            > > Did I buy the wrong item?
          • Leigh L Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 2 8:24 AM

              The battery that came with my UV3R didn't fit itself.
              I contacted them and wound up pushing it hard and it fit.
              The ebay ones I got an the Yaesu ones fit better.
              I go some 1400mah ones for $4.97 on closeout at Radio Shack and while they work they seem to have even less capacity that 1400mah, perhaps because they are old.

              Leigh/WA5ZNU

              On Oct 1, 2011 11:42 PM, "julian" <jwoolvin@...> wrote:
              > Cliff,
              > Looking at the picture of the Casio NP-60 battery you bought it is not the same as a Toshiba or Fuji NP-60 which is the one you need for the UV-3R. Just to confuse matters even more Casio (or the online dealers) appear to number these as an NP-30.
              >
              > Julian M0JPW.
              >
              > --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "nr7j" <nr7j@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Yep, I noticed that the UV-3R batteries fit very tight in the radio so I'm using those in my VX-3R and the Yaesu's in the UV-3R. No problem with the off brand charger. Both batteries fit just fine.
              >>
              >> --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "ac0fo" <cliff.tanner@> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Hmmm, I just received an NP-60 battery and charger from an ebay merchant and the battery is smaller than the one in my Baofeng and the battery from my radio won't fin into the charger.
              >> >
              >> > This is what I received: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370520283007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
              >> >
              >> > Did I buy the wrong item?

              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > UV-3R-digest@yahoogroups.com
              > UV-3R-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • - -
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 2 1:16 PM
                I found these. They have the branding of the radio in the listing but these aren't the kind that I bought. Hope these help.

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-BaoFeng-Original-Li-ion-Battery-UV-3R-1500mah-UV3R-/170672892946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bce5ac12

                Chris
                KF8ZR