8820Re: Aircraft band

  • m6mfp
    Nov 13, 2013
      It's easy to get the UV-3R to read airband frequencies by altering the setting.ini file on the factory software, unfortunately the radio's VCO won't lock at much less than 126Mhz, mine didn't anyway, been there done that, so really not a practical solution for emergencies or otherwise. The radio will read a lot of frequencies on the display from the processor chip but won't tune to very many outside of it's design limits. Not withstanding the antenna isn't going to be very good either at that range even if it did work, you could damage the output stage with high SWR if it could TX there.

      You're much better off getting a dedicated airband radio, more money yes but how much is your life worth? Ask your family! You will of course need the appropriate license to operate such radio too, if you don't already have one, you'd probably need a pilot's license as well. If you're a glider/microlight flyer then there are channels for that on the 143Mhz band, the UV-3R would do that without issue.

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, Reed White <reed.i.white@...> wrote:

      > When transmitting from an FM radio to an AM radio, try shifting your
      > transmit frequency up or down from 5K to 10K Hz. This will better fool
      > the detector in the distant AM receiver. I have done this and it works
      > well for short ranges, but not so well for long distances like 5-60 miles.
      >
      > As you probably know, 121.5 is still monitored by FAA ground stations,
      > but no longer by the satellites (last I heard). So the 121.5 frequency
      > might not be dependable if you need to use it from a down airplane.
      >
      > ... Reed K7FLY

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic