7044Re: uv-200 and uv-3r and something else

  • Leonard G
    Jun 1, 2012
      Thanks for the info, its really something all they put into a radio, and a flashlite..mine came with a pen in the package.. I bought one for a friend, now I will eventually program it for him so he learns the weather freq and other stuff, wow I'll be an Elmer..
      Is there any reason why we don't see chinese radios for the lower frequencies, for example 27Mhz or even lower? These radios would have a longer range and surely there must be a need?

      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

      > On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bill Maxwell wrote:
      >

      > > Some years ago when together with a late colleague we were importing
      > > Quansheng radios into Australia, we suggested product changes to the
      > > factory but were informed that while our thoughts were appreciated,
      > > their immediate focus was on satisfying the demand of their 30,000
      > > units per month domestic Chinese market. I don't think they were
      > > counting a single ham in that number.
      > >

      > There are hams in China, and I'm sure they are buying hundreds of
      > those radios.
      >
      > They have been marketed as ham radios outside of China, because hams
      > like the concept of buy a $35 radio, paying another $15 for postage
      > and using it until it breaks.
      >
      > Government and commercial users still consider radios "magic boxes",
      > which they buy for lots of money and keep paying high prices for
      > support. At some point small companies, and so on will figure out that
      > their money is best spent on buying them in large quantities for low
      > prices, paying a tech by the hour to program them all, and then
      > throwing them out as they break.
      >
      > For example, I have almost 20 year old Motorola HT600 radios. They
      > have great sound are reliable and probably will, if treated with some
      > respect last another 10 to 20 years. You can still buy batteries,
      > antennas, programing cables, speaker mikes, etc.
      >
      > I also have UV-3R's, which while I expect (and do get) good service
      > out of them, I have no illusions that they will last anywhere near as
      > long.
      >
      > I paid the same price for 2 of the HT600 batteries as I did for the
      > UV-3R complete kit.
      >
      > I have not used the Quangsheng radios, but they seem very attractive.
      > The simple user interface, would make them a good deal for new hams,
      > who just set their radio to a repeater and use it.
      >
      > Geoff.
      >
      > --
      > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
      > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
      > Facebooks.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic