7039Re: [UV-3R] Re: uv-200 and uv-3r and something else

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Jun 1, 2012
      On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bill Maxwell wrote:

      > Some years ago when together with a late colleague we were importing
      > Quansheng radios into Australia, we suggested product changes to the
      > factory but were informed that while our thoughts were appreciated,
      > their immediate focus was on satisfying the demand of their 30,000
      > units per month domestic Chinese market. I don't think they were
      > counting a single ham in that number.

      There are hams in China, and I'm sure they are buying hundreds of
      those radios.

      They have been marketed as ham radios outside of China, because hams
      like the concept of buy a $35 radio, paying another $15 for postage
      and using it until it breaks.

      Government and commercial users still consider radios "magic boxes",
      which they buy for lots of money and keep paying high prices for
      support. At some point small companies, and so on will figure out that
      their money is best spent on buying them in large quantities for low
      prices, paying a tech by the hour to program them all, and then
      throwing them out as they break.

      For example, I have almost 20 year old Motorola HT600 radios. They
      have great sound are reliable and probably will, if treated with some
      respect last another 10 to 20 years. You can still buy batteries,
      antennas, programing cables, speaker mikes, etc.

      I also have UV-3R's, which while I expect (and do get) good service
      out of them, I have no illusions that they will last anywhere near as
      long.

      I paid the same price for 2 of the HT600 batteries as I did for the
      UV-3R complete kit.

      I have not used the Quangsheng radios, but they seem very attractive.
      The simple user interface, would make them a good deal for new hams,
      who just set their radio to a repeater and use it.

      Geoff.

      To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
      Facebooks.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic