252Re: Dual Band antenna recommendation?

  • g4ilo
    Jun 1, 2011
      --- In UV-3R@yahoogroups.com, "andyn1ksn" <acp-smp@...> wrote:

      > I also tested three Nagoya antennas of mine, including the dualband model NA-773, and they all showed very poor matches. This was confirmed by poor performance on the air. Personally, I don't think this brand is worth buying, even at their low prices on eBay.

      I think that is an unfair generalization. I have the NA-701 which others have mentioned. It performs well in comparison with other dual band antennas of its size and is a good match on both 2m and 70cm. I think the NA-701 is probably the best choice of antenna for this radio.

      I also have an NA-767 which is a telescopic high gain dual band antenna more than a metre long. Again it is a good match and gave good results in comparative tests though it is obviously unsuitable for a small HT such as the UV-3R due to its weight and length apart from being a BNC antenna.

      I did buy the rarely advertised NA-401 which I thought would be a better choice for the small lightweight UV-3R as it is slimmer with a thinner more flexible whip and 1cm shorter than the NA-701 but performance was noticeably poorer possibly due to the VHF resonant frequency being around 160MHz and the SWR 4:1 at 145.0MHz.

      I too have encountered the fake stubby antennas. The fake Diamond had a resonant point far from any amateur band and another unbranded one had no apparent resonant frequency at all and for all I know could be solid plastic! I do have two unbranded BNC dual band stubby antennas that are a good match on both 145 and 433MHz and perform surprisingly well for their size, about 6dB down on the short rubber duck antennas.

      Julian, G4ILO
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic