Fw: [SFI-l] State of SFI Operations

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2014

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: ADM Robert Westfall <ops@...>
      To: sfi-l@...
      Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:39 PM
      Subject: [SFI-l] State of SFI Operations

      Well, the transition of administrations went very smoothly (at least as far
      as we've discovered) for the Operations Department.

      STAFFING:

      * BGN Joe Sare is staying with us as my Vice-Chief (and his help and advice
      has been invaluable).

      * ADM Alex Rosenzweig is remaining on-board to oversee DTS (because if we
      can't have Mike Okuda, we have the next best thing in Alex).

      * ADM Richard Smith decided to move on so I have named COMM Beau Thacker as
      the Chief of Shakedown Operations

      * FCPT Chris Tolbert chose not to serve during this administration, and his
      efforts and ideas for recruiting will be missed. However, I have chosen 2
      individuals to take over as Recruiting & Retention Officers: VADM James
      Herring will handle domestic (US) Recruiting & Retention while CMDR Jason
      Garrett will be handing International Recruiting & Retention.

      * CAPT Eugene Anderson is staying on as the Operations Statistician

      * We are looking for a new MSR Officer, as CAPT Arthur Vaccarino would like
      to move on to other things, though he has agreed to stay on until we find a
      replacement.

      HELP WANTED:

      We're looking for an MSR Officer. This person will handle those MSRs that
      are not submitted via the SFI Database (i.e., telephone, USPS, e-mail) and
      enter them into the DB. Time requirements would be approximately 15-30
      minutes per month. If interested contact me at ops@....

      WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR THE PAST 12 DAYS:

      * I've been spending the last 12 days going over MSRs (as it has been that
      time of the month <GRIN>) and addressing concerns and questions as they have
      been presented.

      * James & Jason have been in contact with various chapters that are under
      strength to see what can be done to assist them in getting their membership
      numbers back up. They are also going to be working on coming up with various
      ideas to not only bring in new members as well as retain existing members.
      Those ideas will come, but my first priority for them is to help those
      chapters that are in most need of getting their numbers back up.

      * The Shuttle Program that Alex and Joe presented to the AB a couple of
      years ago has several potential candidates in the pipeline; and I've already
      heard of 3 potential new chapters that we should be seeing through Shakedown
      Operations in the next few months.

      NEW PROGRAMS:

      While it may not seem like much, we are very good at pointing out when
      someone or something has failed to do something. I want to change that (even
      if just a little bit). Therefore I'm instituting a few new recognition
      programs (though who knows what else I may come up with over the next few
      years):

      * On-Time MSR Reporting: This program will recognize those chapters that
      succeed in turning their MSRs in On-Time (by the 5th of the month) over the
      course of a year. Yes, this is something that chapters are supposed to do
      anyway, but we are always harping on the chapters that turn in their MSRs
      late or "Fail to Report" so why not recognize those chapters that manage to
      get their MSRs in on-time, every-time.

      * Chapter Longevity: This program will recognize chapters that have hit the
      5yr milestone (and every 5yrs beyond that).

      GOALS:

      * Obviously to help keep Fleet running smoothly for the next 3 years <GRIN>

      * To work with the 36 chapters that are currently under strength in order to
      prevent having to [eventually] decommission then (I hate having to see that
      happen, regardless of the necessity of it).

      * To see a 10% growth in the number of chapter in SFI (from 242 to 266)

      Well, that's what I have for you right now. Hope that answers [at least]
      some of your questions/curiosity. As we progress through things I will have
      more OPS-oriented information to pass on.

      Robert

      Admiral Robert Westfall
      Chief of Operations, SFI (www.sfi.org)
      Commanding, ISS Katana  BB-77003

      Phone: 888-SFI-TREK x703

      E-mail: ops@... & rwestfall99@...

      "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know
      about yourself." - Lois McMaster Bujold
      "There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try and be
      right." - Sir Winston Churchill