Report from the June 2012 Star Trek Phase II shoot

  • S'kai
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2012
      Report on Star Trek Phase II Away Mission.

      I spent June 16-28 (with a short break in the middle to attend the USS Abraham Lincoln's Star Trek night with the Rockland Boulders baseball team) at Star Trek Phase II. It was, as far as I can remember, the most fun I have had at a shoot.

      It started off with James Cawley's announcement that he will no longer be playing Captain Kirk in the series. He brought in Brian Gross, an experienced TV actor for the role. James will continue as Executive Producer.

      There will be an announcement shortly about the "re-launch" of Star Trek Phase II. I cannot discuss the details, but I assure you it will be awesome.

      We completed the principal photography on a new episode called "Bread and Savagery," a follow-up to TOS's "Bread and Circuses" and the ONLY sequel that STP2 will be making. I got a role on screen, that will definitely make it to the final cut. It was filmed in the hottest part of the studio on the hottest day of the year with a dozen people and 8000 watts of lights in a small room (no A/C), and wearing a costume that was quite warm to begin with. But I wouldn't trade the experience for love or money.

      During one of the breaks, the lighting director pointed a 2000 watt studio light straight up, and made popcorn on it.

      The new Captain Kirk hit his stride right off, and the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio seemed to have that magic chemistry that makes Star Trek work.

      The shoot ended with the announcement that the original Galileo 7 shuttlecraft was won at auction, and will be coming to upstate New York for the Phase II crew to do the restoration--which means it will be done right. Yippee!!

      There is much more that I wish I could say, but that will come out in due time. I think this will be one of the great STP2 episodes.