Re: [USSABRAHAMLINCOLNNCC71809] Where Are We Going?

  • Willie Yee
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
      How can we even imagine? Consider and exercise: A Greek from 2000 years ago is transported to Ben Franklin's Philadelphia. After learning the language, he could probably manage to get along fairly well.

      Now imagine someone from 1809 being transported to our time. Imagine all the things that have changed about the simple things of everyday life.

      Conclusion: Life has changed more in the last 200 years than in the previous 2000. Who knows what the next 200 will bring.

      I am afraid IF we end up destroying ourselves or our home planet, it will happen much sooner than that.

      Lt.Cdr. Willie K. Yee
      XO USS Abraham Lincoln NX-71809
      Commander Prius-class Shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
      http://www.willieyee.info

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
        I agree. A major concern is whether we will pollute our planet to the point where our children and grandchildren are left with a world destroyed by our neglect. Parents and grandparents must teach their children and grandchildren the importance of seeing beyond their own lifespan here and how what they do will affect their children and grandchildren.
        I think we as a society have taken some positive steps forward in raising awareness, but so much more needs to be done.
        I remember when I was in grammar school, our science teacher taught us about a process that turned regular household garbage into a kind of goo that could be disposed of easily, thereby reducing tons of garbage to managable 'goo' that could be disposed of easier, reducing the amount of waste in our dumps. I don't know what happened to that idea as we were still talking about how to dispose of barges of garbage as recently as a few years ago.
        We still have a long way to go but we have come a long way. Education and continuing to raise awareness are the keys.