Re: Why are some of the greatest thinkers being expelle...

  • jfdttcom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2008
      I gotta say, I just finished getting a philosophy degree from a local
      college, and I learned about Hegel, Marx, and Freud in several different classes
      from several different angles. We also covered the Fed Papers pretty well in
      Poli Sci....

      In a message dated 7/27/2008 11:30:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      jzylman@... writes:

      I'm glad they are not. I was forced to read these essays in college
      (mid-50s) and found them appalling. They were then loved by the racists and
      now loved by the Republicans.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2008
        Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that not all colleges have dispelled all
        but Friedmann.

        My degrees are in Philosopphy (1959, approximately the era of Socrates) and
        Theology (U of Chicago, 1965, with Tillich and Wieman, Gibson Winter, Viktor
        Frankl, Bruno Bettelheim, Harlow Shapley, and more)

        Now, it is important to look at the new ideas that are coming out of the end
        of neo-liberalism, esp. Goerner, Dyck, et al - "The New Science of
        Sustainability," and David Korten, "The Great Turning." Both apply all
        fields in the search for a present and future that is sustainable and human!

        <mailto:politicnow%40aol.com> wrote:

        > Gone, and Being Forgotten
        >
        > Why are some of the greatest thinkers being expelled from their
        > disciplines?
        >
        > By RUSSELL JACOBY
        >
        > How is it that Freud is not taught in psychology departments, Marx is
        > not taught in economics, and Hegel is hardly taught in philosophy?
        > Instead these masters of Western thought are taught in fields far from
        > their own. Nowadays Freud is found in literature departments, Marx in
        > film studies, and Hegel in German. But have they migrated, or have
        > they
        > been expelled? Perhaps the home fields of Freud, Marx, and Hegel have
        > turned arid. Perhaps those disciplines have come to prize a
        > scientistic
        > ethos that drives away unruly thinkers. Or maybe they simply
        > progress by
        > sloughing off the past.

        FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

      • David Dunn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2008
          That's good new to hear that the Federalist Papers are still being
          used in Political Science classes. I first encountered them is a
          political philosophy class. They were a part of the assigned readings
          of political philosophy. There was minimal discussion of them.

          Years later, when they became available as free downloads, I began re-
          reading them. I still think they're awesome and in some respects
          prescient.

          I think they're some of the most profound political writings in the
          history of humanity.

          On Jul 27, 2008, at 3:12 PM, jfdttcom@... wrote:

          > I gotta say, I just finished getting a philosophy degree from a local
          > college, and I learned about Hegel, Marx, and Freud in several
          > different classes
          > from several different angles. We also covered the Fed Papers pretty
          > well in
          > Poli Sci....
          >

          > In a message dated 7/27/2008 11:30:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > jzylman@... writes:
          >
          > I'm glad they are not. I was forced to read these essays in college
          > (mid-50s) and found them appalling. They were then loved by the
          > racists and
          > now loved by the Republicans.

          David Dunn
          3320 Goldsmith Ln.
          Louisville KY 40220

          The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
          first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

          Make the most you can of the Indian hemp seed and sow it everywhere. -
          George Washington � 1794