Re: Download All 50 US States

  • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2012
      Yes, that was exactly what I meant. Thanks. So basically one should try to download per UTM zone. I have to look up the Terra Fetcher manual if this would be possible. Since these zones can be very big like zone 14, it would maybe an idea to split these zones in north/south zones of 4 or 5 degrees? Handling and distributing would also be simpler.

      Simon

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Right now I am looking for someone to take responsibility for the data from North Carolina in zones 17 and 18 **including** the little bit of Tennessee that sticks across the 84 degree line. Likewise when someone loads the data for Tennessee they need to include the little bit of North Carolina that sticks out to the west of 84 degrees.
      >
      > I know this seems overly complicated, but this is the only way to get the full data set without gaps and holes.
      >
      > Rick
      >
      > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, tubepowerel84@ wrote:
      > >
      > > So if I put my (seperatly downloaded) VA and my WV data in the correct Photomaps folder, it would not be possible to get a good view of the VA/WV border? Is there a map with UTM zones somewhere available?
      > > I found that the geomaps aren't that bulky. It is the black and white pictures taking up the most of the space. Terrafetcher did download the topomaps for WA in 4 hours (about 4 gig) and estimates it needs about 2 days and 15 hours to do the BW aereal photo's for this state. I do not dare to think about the size of the urban color photo's...
      > >
      > > Simon
      > >
      > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm not real fond of dividing up things by states exactly, because the program doesn't store the files by state. The program stores files by UTM zone. The files are a single quad tall and the full width of the UTM zone I'm pretty sure. So if that stripe covers three states and we have downloaded our data by state, we will have the data for that stripe in three separate files with no good way to combine them... unless someone comes up with a utility to do that...
      > > >
      > > > Still, I'm willing to amass our data any way we can. So to start the ball rolling I have built a table and uploaded it to the files section. It lists all 50 states and Washington DC with columns for the six file types. Each intersection has a question mark for now. If you have the data please measure the total size of each file type and send me the number. I will post it in the table so we will know that sections have been downloaded. If you are working on a section let me know and I will put your initials in place of the question mark to others know not to bother.
      > > >
      > > > We should be able to pretty quickly get an estimate of how much of the US we already have covered and how much we can shortly get.
      > > >
      > > > Oh, I just realized that USAPM doesn't seem to cover Alaska or Hawaii. I never thought about that before.

    • gnuarm
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
        Yes, exactly. The files are per UTM zone. But you don't need to download an entire UTM zone. You only need to download any row. The minimum entity is a "row" of image "quads" across a UTM zone. Any rows that you capture 100% will produce two files, a .dta file and a .ptr file. These files can then be shared with the world!

        I think States are a convenient way to start a download. But then the "region" mode of Terrafetcher needs to be used to "square" up the corners and any gaps. We may get some overlap between different people at the borders, but that will be small compared to the bulk of the state.

        Splitting in degrees of latitude is fine if people will do that. I can adjust the table to make that happen. Zones, then latitude, then the size data types.

        The distribution could be done by combining "rows" into larger files I suppose. We will need to see just how much data there is... I know its going to be large, but I don't know how many files yet. I'm a bit busy and haven't had time to calculate it yet.

        The main thing is to get the data data downloaded before the server goes away.

      • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
          I believe on the site of Terrafetcher is a link to a utillity called TFmerge, which if I understand well, will merge PTR and DTA files. Also, an other interesting discovery I did is when I start Terrafetcher on a second computer (while running it also simultaneous on the first computer), the download speed of both machines is not affected. So I have two machines running now.

        • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
            Maybe it is easier to download the 64m topo maps per zone, instead of the state. This goes rather quickly. I have zone 10 and 17 of these now.

          • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2012
              An other thing I thought of is the following:
              Maybe we can use Yahoo groups as a server, it has a storage room of 100GB for a group. If we would temporary rename the .dta files to .jpg, it could be uploaded to the photo section. Put the ptr files in the files section. To use one only has to rename the .jpg to .dta again. I'll do some experiments.
            • gnuarm
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2012
                Remember, the full data base is 24 Terrabytes!!! To use 100 GB of Yahoo storage we would have to create 240 groups! Bittorrent allows literally unlimited storage and multi-fold redundancy. The only requirement to use bittorrent is that we need to have complete files. Otherwise it will be too confusing to try to figure out what files have what data.

                Even if there is a program to combine sections, there will be literally thousands of files, maybe 10's of thousands of files that would need to be merged. It will be an intractable task. There will be no computer with all the data in one place so it only makes sense to create complete row files in each zone and then to make them available. It might make sense to make the files available in groups of say, 1 degree or maybe less.

                Yes, the 64 meter maps do go relatively quickly, I have zone 15, 16, 17 and 18.

              • fmhillhouse@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2012
                  If you can pony up a few bucks, check out ExpertGPS. I have been using it for over 10 years. At some point I finally bumped my license to the complete package. It downloads each tile individually.

                  The current map choices are the MS tiles (3 types), MapquestOSM, and USGS tiles in Slippytile.

                  If everyone did some sort of BitTorrent with the MS tiles, then it would be easier since each tile is separate.

                  Personally, I was disappointed with the MS tile set. But at the time, it was the only game in town. There were many parts of the country that had bad tiles.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  Remember, the full data base is 24 Terrabytes!!! To use 100 GB of Yahoo storage we would have to create 240 groups! Bittorrent allows literally unlimited storage and multi-fold redundancy. The only requirement to use bittorrent is that we need to have complete files. Otherwise it will be too confusing to try to figure out what files have what data.

                  Even if there is a program to combine sections, there will be literally thousands of files, maybe 10's of thousands of files that would need to be merged. It will be an intractable task. There will be no computer with all the data in one place so it only makes sense to create complete row files in each zone and then to make them available. It might make sense to make the files available in groups of say, 1 degree or maybe less.

                  Yes, the 64 meter maps do go relatively quickly, I have zone 15, 16, 17 and 18.

                  Rick

                  --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, tubepowerel84@... wrote:

                  > An other thing I thought of is the following:
                  > Maybe we can use Yahoo groups as a server, it has a storage room of 100GB for a group. If we would temporary rename the .dta files to .jpg, it could be uploaded to the photo section. Put the ptr files in the files section. To use one only has to rename the .jpg to .dta again. I'll do some experiments.

                • Marc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2012
                    ExpertGPS is a great program, so is Geobuddy (by the same company) and
                    TopoFusion (there's a free version that sticks "DEMO" on some of the tiles).