Re: Moving Data To Another Computer

  • gps_greg
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2011
      Had already done that; didn't help.

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Williams <CharlieWilliams@...> wrote:

      > By default the Program is installed in USAPhotoMaps and the data is in a
      > sub dir called USAPhotoMapsData.
      >
      > Can you find USAPhotoMaps? If not go to Windows control panel, folder
      > options and click "show hidden files, folders.."
      >
      > On 5/24/2011 8:36 PM, gps_greg wrote:
      > >
      > > This has probably be talked about in great detail, but I am not
      > > finding it with search.
      > > The HDD on my laptop is physically damaged and I will have to send it
      > > in to have the data recovered.
      > > I had about 70GB of USAPhotoMaps data on it.
      > >
      > > I have purchased a new HDD for the laptop and am in the process of
      > > doing fresh installs of all the programs and such.
      > >
      > > Operating system before and after was/will be XP Pro.
      > >
      > > In the mean time I started downloading map data onto a desktop that
      > > has Vista and now would like to transfer it over to the laptop.
      > > Problem is I cannot figure out where it is on the hard drive.
      > > The "USAPhotoMapsData" and "BigPhotoMapsData" folders are not visible
      > > in the USAPhotoMaps directory.
      > > I CAN see them when I look for a place to put data when using
      > > TerraFetcher.
      > >
      > > I know that it is a problem with permissions in Vista, but I cannot
      > > figure out how to view them.
      > > I've tried all the settings I can think of; I just cannot get Vista to
      > > do what I want.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Greg
      > > WØGRB

    • gps_greg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2011
        Barry-
        Thanks, I did not know all that stuff.
        Still didn't find it.
        Guess I'll just start downloading it again.
        Oh well.

        Greg

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Barry Lankford <BarryL@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > started with USAPM way back when (and later moved the whole thing to my new
        > Vista desktop and laptop), I just extracted the whole directory/file
        > structure from the old computer that at the time had an old version of
        > Windows (98se, I think). Back then you put USAPM in any directory of your
        > own choosing, without the help of any sort of automatic Installation. I
        > haven't ever tried the install program for USAPM, so I don't know what it
        > does. It's possible the current install procedure put the program in a
        > directory it created in the Program Files directory, and Windows probably
        > created a "shadowed" set of data directories in a hidden area called
        > AppData. You can get into the AppData area without "unhiding" it by
        > clicking the Start button on the Task Bar and typing 'appdata' in the
        > 'Start Search' field (without the quotes). The results will show the
        > directory, probably as the first (or maybe ONLY) item in the results list.
        > It'll probably look something like this:
        >
        > C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\...
        >
        > Where <USERNAME> would be the name of your personal home directory.
        > There'll be maybe three subdirectories there, and you can open them and
        > look for USAPhotoMaps... Just click on the search result to open the
        > directory. From that point on in the appdata directory structure, nothing
        > else is hidden, and you'll have full access to anything in there (you may
        > have to be logged in as and administrator though - I can't recall for sure
        > about that).
        >
        > Like I said, this all depends on where the executables, DLLs and such were
        > put when you installed USAPM on the Vista machine, but I think there's a
        > strong likelihood that's where you'll find the data.
        >
        > The whole point of all this in Vista, as far as I know, is to help protect
        > critical areas of file storage, such as Program Files, from accidental
        > damage by denying programs the ability to write to any directories in
        > Program Files. Windows has set up this shadowed appdata area to
        > transparently receive data written by programs while the program is unaware
        > that the data has been diverted. Although I've never tried it, I think
        > this also allows multiple users to have their own data areas for installed
        > programs, so even old programs can be configured independently by each user
        > without any changes to the old programs themselves. I've actually got a
        > 15-year old version of CorelDraw running pretty well on my Vista computer,
        > and an even older version of WordPerfect, but I had to force the
        > installation procedure to put the installation in a directory outside of
        > Program Files. That often works with really, really old software on Vista.
        >
        > Hope this all makes some kind of sense. Vista really isn't all that bad,
        > it just requires a good bit of getting used to it. I had to really make a
        > long leap when I went from a Win98SE desktop to two Vista PCs, a desktop
        > and a laptop. THEN about a year later I got around to my first in-depth XP

      • Jerry Sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2011
          There are a number of legacy programs that just will not install on Win-7 or Vista, especially
          the 64-bit versions.  This is because, while the programs will run fine, the installers are older 16-bit installers which the new operating systems do not support.  It is for this reason, that I keep an old and slow Win-XP machine in my hobby office at home, networked to my Win-7 machine.  I play with new routes in Microsoft TrainSimulator.

          We developed a method for installing TrainSimulator and it works fine, though there are some hoops
          to jump through.  HOwever, there are a half dozen ancillary programs that run on the XP, and will not
          install, no way shape or form, on the Win-7, unless one is really brave and willing to tinker  in the Registry, which I am not.

          However, I have UsaPhotomaps on my Win-7/64 machine and it does fine.  I used the installer with
          the latest release and it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86) which is the default directory for many
          older programs, i.e. those which can be installed, and quite a few new ones as well.

          Jerry Sullivan

        • John Sperr
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2011
            Here is what works for me with Windows 7, 64bit

            Search for "USAPhotomaps.exe"
            Right click and select "open containing folder"
            Click on "Compatibility Files"
            click on the data directory for the .dta and pointer files.

            John Sperr
            http://www.hriyc.org
            PO BOX 573
            Rhinebeck NY 12572-0573