[USAphotomaps] Re: PASDA - Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access

  • Doug Cox
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
      Nope. Can't do it (well, okay, you can import waypoints if they're in a recognizeable format (maybe by first using GPSBabel)).
      Doug Cox
      _________________________________
      You wrote (Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:00:59 -0000):

      You can export georeferenced images from USA PHoto Maps and combine them with this kind of data in a program like ArcGis viewer or TatukGis viewer, so in that sense they work together. TatukGis viewer is free and pretty powerful.

      I think it would be cool to have some sort of function that could link georeferenced raster graphics into USA Photo Maps, even just as way points with links that automatically go in the right place on the map. You may be almost able to do it already, I need to look at the instructions again. I was thinking of the updated 7.5 minute topo maps at the Forest Service website.

      Dan

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

      > > No, there's no way. Try Google Earth.
      > > Doug Cox
      _________________________________
    • dancytron
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
        What would you actually have to do to the new topo maps to get them
        into USA Photo Maps?

        Terraserver converts the projection, chops them up into tiles, and
        then spits out each tile with a UTM reference. Right?

        Then USA photomaps or Terrafetcher receives those tiles and writes
        them to a file for each row for each UTM.

        So, if someone could make a utility that put the raster graphic in
        the right projection and chopped it up into individual properly
        georeferenced tiles, then conceivable a Terra Fetcher like tool could
        write them to the row files?

        Dan

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

        > Nope. Can't do it (well, okay, you can import waypoints if they're
        in a recognizeable format (maybe by first using GPSBabel)).
        > Doug Cox
        > _________________________________
        > You wrote (Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:00:59 -0000):
        >
        > You can export georeferenced images from USA PHoto Maps and combine
        them with this kind of data in a program like ArcGis viewer or
        TatukGis viewer, so in that sense they work together. TatukGis
        viewer is free and pretty powerful.

        > I think it would be cool to have some sort of function that could
        link georeferenced raster graphics into USA Photo Maps, even just as
        way points with links that automatically go in the right place on the
        map. You may be almost able to do it already, I need to look at the
        instructions again. I was thinking of the updated 7.5 minute topo
        maps at the Forest Service website.

        > Dan
        >

        > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > No, there's no way. Try Google Earth.
        > > > Doug Cox
        > _________________________________

      • Doug Cox
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
          You're right, someone could do that. Actually, some other programs already have the capability to scan in raster maps or read digital maps and re-orient them. I'm just not interested in doing this, and if I were, USAPhotoMaps wouldn't be free.

          Doug Cox

          _________________________________
          You wrote (Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:24:37 -0000):

          What would you actually have to do to the new topo maps to get them into USA Photo Maps?

          Terraserver converts the projection, chops them up into tiles, and then spits out each tile with a UTM reference. Right?

          Then USA photomaps or Terrafetcher receives those tiles and writes them to a file for each row for each UTM.
          So, if someone could make a utility that put the raster graphic in the right projection and chopped it up into individual properly georeferenced tiles, then conceivable a Terra Fetcher like tool could write them to the row files?

          Dan

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

          > > Nope. Can't do it (well, okay, you can import waypoints if they're in a recognizeable format (maybe by first using GPSBabel)).
          > Doug Cox
          > _________________________________
          > You wrote (Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:00:59 -0000):
          > > You can export georeferenced images from USA PHoto Maps and combine them with this kind of data in a program like ArcGis viewer or TatukGis viewer, so in that sense they work together. TatukGis viewer is free and pretty powerful.
          > > I think it would be cool to have some sort of function that could link georeferenced raster graphics into USA Photo Maps, even just as way points with links that automatically go in the right place on the map. You may be almost able to do it already, I need to look at the instructions again. I was thinking of the updated 7.5 minute topo maps at the Forest Service website.
          > > Dan
          > > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > No, there's no way. Try Google Earth.
          > > > Doug Cox
          > _________________________________

          _________________________________
        • dancytron
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
            Unfortunately, this is where I would send it to the software
            developers to do a proof of concept in real life. I can't begin to
            build something like that.

            It is a nice idea to put on the backburner if you want to go
            commercial software someday or for someone other person with the
            skills to attempt it. I think the utility I describe would sell
            pretty well at $20-50 shareware if it worked well.

            Thanks again for a great piece of software. It's blasphemy, but you
            really should be charging people for it.

          • Broncus
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "dancytron" <dancytron@...>
              wrote:

              > What would you actually have to do to the new topo maps to get them
              > into USA Photo Maps?
              >
              > Terraserver converts the projection, chops them up into tiles, and
              > then spits out each tile with a UTM reference. Right?
              >
              > Then USA photomaps or Terrafetcher receives those tiles and writes
              > them to a file for each row for each UTM.
              >
              > So, if someone could make a utility that put the raster graphic in
              > the right projection and chopped it up into individual properly
              > georeferenced tiles, then conceivable a Terra Fetcher like tool
              could
              > write them to the row files?
              >
              > Dan

              Hi Dan,

              I had bought ExpertGPS awhile back and there is one user that has
              done that for inclusion into the E-GPS file system if I am
              remembering correctly.

              I like both applications. Each of them have strong points. E-GPS has
              a forum a well at http://forums.topografix.com/index.php?showforum=4

              I only wish that the map authors could use the same map database so
              the storage would be one set instead of 2, 3, or 4 or ... I have all
              of New England downloaded for two software packages along with other
              areas of interest. So I have a fair amount of space allocated to map
              storage. Luckily, drives are much better priced and much bigger!

              A couple unique items in USAPhotomaps are; APRS support (interest to
              ham radio operators) and it runs on Win98. E-GPS doesn't support
              either. I also run TerraFetcher at the same time as UPAPM. I use the
              Counties region files whenever I grab more tiles. Although the Urban
              tile grab is a little strange. I did get a slug of blank tiles that
              show up on the scan. There seems to be a bug there of some sort.

              E-GPS stores each tile as a file and quickly overruns the number of
              files in a directory that Win98 can handle (32K). E-GPS does support
              scanned maps. I have downloaded the navigational maps for the east
              coast and have started to add calibration points so they are
              referenced properly. That is really cool! I don't get out on the
              ocean and use them; no boat! But I am a bit of a map junkie.

              I do like USAPhotomaps and the price is better than good! I suspect
              $50-75 would be easy to charge and get. Did I actually add that! I
              almost feel that I shouldn't ask for any changes, but, alas, nothing
              is ever the way I think it should be. :)

              Thanks Doug for the great software!

              Best regards,
              Fred
            • dancytron
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
                Thanks.

                It looks like the plan may be to use Expert GPS for new maps, aerial
                photo's etc that aren't in Terraserver, and then back that up with
                USAPhotoMaps, that have a map of everywhere.

                I'll take a closer look at it, thanks again.

                Dan

                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Broncus" <fmhillhouse@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                Urban
                > tile grab is a little strange. I did get a slug of blank tiles that
                > show up on the scan. There seems to be a bug there of some sort.
                >
                > E-GPS stores each tile as a file and quickly overruns the number of
                > files in a directory that Win98 can handle (32K). E-GPS does
                support
                > scanned maps. I have downloaded the navigational maps for the east
                > coast and have started to add calibration points so they are
                > referenced properly. That is really cool! I don't get out on the
                > ocean and use them; no boat! But I am a bit of a map junkie.
                >
                > I do like USAPhotomaps and the price is better than good! I suspect
                > $50-75 would be easy to charge and get. Did I actually add that! I
                > almost feel that I shouldn't ask for any changes, but, alas,
                nothing
                > is ever the way I think it should be. :)

              • dancytron
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Broncus,

                  Thanks again for the link. That is going to be really sweet.

                  I like the whole interface of USA Photo Maps better, but it looks
                  like you can intergrate just about any of the free raster graphics
                  that are floating around with that tool into Expert GPS. That's
                  pretty powerful.