Re: New Installation Problem

  • John Wargo
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2011
      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "bob6576775" <bob31439@...> wrote:

      > I've been a USAphotomaps user for several years. I recently attempted to update the program as it seemed to have trouble connecting to the map server. I uninstalled the old program and downloaded the latest 2.78 full installation file from the JDMCOX Software website. When I double click the USA Photomaps.exe file, I get "Error opening file for writing" after selecing components to install. The program doesn't launch. Help please.
      >
      > Bob Gaudio

      I am having the exact same problem! I don't know what to do. I've also have the same exact story.

      John
    • gnuarm
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2011
        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "John Wargo" <wargoycc@...> wrote:

        > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "bob6576775" <bob31439@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've been a USAphotomaps user for several years. I recently attempted to update the program as it seemed to have trouble connecting to the map server. I uninstalled the old program and downloaded the latest 2.78 full installation file from the JDMCOX Software website. When I double click the USA Photomaps.exe file, I get "Error opening file for writing" after selecing components to install. The program doesn't launch. Help please.
        > >
        > > Bob Gaudio
        > >
        > I am having the exact same problem! I don't know what to do. I've also have the same exact story.
        >
        > John

        Did you read the rest of the thread? This is an issue that happens to programs that weren't written according to the requirements of Windows which says data files should not be placed in the Program Files directory. You need to either move the entire installation to a different directory or I believe you can edit a line in the setup file to use a different directory for the data files.

        I don't recall if Mr. Cox has stepped away from the program or if he is just laying low for a while. But either way I don't expect this aspect of this application and many other open source applications to be changed. Although this has been the MS recommendation since at least XP if not Win2k, it was not a problem for users until Vista came out. Now most new computers will be giving heartburn to their owners when older software is installed and we will need to learn to adapt to it.

        Certainly this is a program worth the bit of effort this requires. I was showing something to a friend the other day using USAPM and he remarked how much better he thought this map data is compared to the online stuff! Google doesn't show many features on the water really. Often it doesn't even show names of rivers and such! I just wish we could get some updated data files. Someday I really will track this down.

        Rick
      • Charlie Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2011
          I have 2.78 on Win 7 but USAPM is on my D drive.  So follow Rick's advice and try loading it outside /Program Files.

          Doug said he has retired from this.

          Regarding updated maps, USGS is no longer updating what are now the "legacy" topos. They are moving to the new "US Topo," a digital map using layers, imagery and a pdf format.  USAPM will not work with them.  1) they are not on the MS server and 2) they are not jpg.

          On 5/13/2011 10:54 AM, gnuarm wrote:

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "John Wargo" <wargoycc@...> wrote:

          > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "bob6576775" <bob31439@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've been a USAphotomaps user for several years. I recently attempted to update the program as it seemed to have trouble connecting to the map server. I uninstalled the old program and downloaded the latest 2.78 full installation file from the JDMCOX Software website. When I double click the USA Photomaps.exe file, I get "Error opening file for writing" after selecing components to install. The program doesn't launch. Help please.
          > >
          > > Bob Gaudio
          > >
          > I am having the exact same problem! I don't know what to do. I've also have the same exact story.
          >
          > John

          Did you read the rest of the thread? This is an issue that happens to programs that weren't written according to the requirements of Windows which says data files should not be placed in the Program Files directory. You need to either move the entire installation to a different directory or I believe you can edit a line in the setup file to use a different directory for the data files.

          I don't recall if Mr. Cox has stepped away from the program or if he is just laying low for a while. But either way I don't expect this aspect of this application and many other open source applications to be changed. Although this has been the MS recommendation since at least XP if not Win2k, it was not a problem for users until Vista came out. Now most new computers will be giving heartburn to their owners when older software is installed and we will need to learn to adapt to it.

          Certainly this is a program worth the bit of effort this requires. I was showing something to a friend the other day using USAPM and he remarked how much better he thought this map data is compared to the online stuff! Google doesn't show many features on the water really. Often it doesn't even show names of rivers and such! I just wish we could get some updated data files. Someday I really will track this down.

          Rick

        • Jerry Sullivan
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2011
            I have no trouble running USaPhotomaps on Win-7, but it is installed in the Program files directory of my "E" drive as I use two physical disks on the system.  It is an excellent program for many things.  Those of us who do routes in Microsoft TrainSim use it almost exclusively, although we find that various google products work better with later simulators such as RailWorks.  Even so, after almost 10 years, MSTS is still the preferred simulator for many folks, especially in the US, and yes, it can be a sobering experience to load a program on Win-7.  Even though I am administrator, I still have to set protections for the Administrator on every legacy program that I use.
            The main problem with most legacy programs is not that they won't run, but that they cannot be installed without tweaking the registry manually.  Legacy programs used 16-bit installers which will not run on any 64-bit system, and also I am told will not run on Win-7/32 either.  Thus I keep a old XP machine to do some off-line route preperation.

            Jerry Sullivan

            On 5/13/2011 12:40 PM, Charlie Williams wrote:

            I have 2.78 on Win 7 but USAPM is on my D drive.  So follow Rick's advice and try loading it outside /Program Files.

            Doug said he has retired from this.

            Regarding updated maps, USGS is no longer updating what are now the "legacy" topos. They are moving to the new "US Topo," a digital map using layers, imagery and a pdf format.  USAPM will not work with them.  1) they are not on the MS server and 2) they are not jpg.

            On 5/13/2011 10:54 AM, gnuarm wrote:

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "John Wargo" <wargoycc@...> wrote:

            > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "bob6576775" <bob31439@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been a USAphotomaps user for several years. I recently attempted to update the program as it seemed to have trouble connecting to the map server. I uninstalled the old program and downloaded the latest 2.78 full installation file from the JDMCOX Software website. When I double click the USA Photomaps.exe file, I get "Error opening file for writing" after selecing components to install. The program doesn't launch. Help please.
            > >
            > > Bob Gaudio
            > >
            > I am having the exact same problem! I don't know what to do. I've also have the same exact story.
            >
            > John

            Did you read the rest of the thread? This is an issue that happens to programs that weren't written according to the requirements of Windows which says data files should not be placed in the Program Files directory. You need to either move the entire installation to a different directory or I believe you can edit a line in the setup file to use a different directory for the data files.

            I don't recall if Mr. Cox has stepped away from the program or if he is just laying low for a while. But either way I don't expect this aspect of this application and many other open source applications to be changed. Although this has been the MS recommendation since at least XP if not Win2k, it was not a problem for users until Vista came out. Now most new computers will be giving heartburn to their owners when older software is installed and we will need to learn to adapt to it.

            Certainly this is a program worth the bit of effort this requires. I was showing something to a friend the other day using USAPM and he remarked how much better he thought this map data is compared to the online stuff! Google doesn't show many features on the water really. Often it doesn't even show names of rivers and such! I just wish we could get some updated data files. Someday I really will track this down.

            Rick

          • Lou
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2011
              Last year I loaded USAPhotomaps on a 32 bit Windows 7 laptop without any problems that I remember.  It’s still running good as ever

              Lou

              Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:38 PM
              Subject: [USAphotomaps] Re: New Installation Problem