can't connect to my Garmin Oregon 450

  • h.meiswinkel
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 13 8:33 AM
      How can I connect USAPhotoMaps with my Garmin Oregon 450?
      I set the GPS protocol to "Garmin USB".
      But then comes the error: "Your USB Garmin doesn't seem to be attached."

      Please help me.
    • Charlie Williams

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13 9:25 AM
          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Williams <CharlieWilliams@...> wrote:

          > Does Windows recognize it? Do you need to load a driver?

          Yes, the Oregon 450 appears in Windows 7 as a normal device (H:).
          I installed the Garmin USB Drivers too.
        • John Sperr
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13 9:48 AM
            Garmin Oregon, Nuvi, Colorado, and perhaps other newer units seem to do
            things differently than the older Etrex models.

            If your Oregon 450 can output a GPX file, try importing it with
            USAPhotomaps. If it is recognizing it as a drive (H:), you may be able
            to navigate directly to it from USAPhotomaps.

            Read the GPS help file in USAPhotomaps and try the NMEA interface.

            DNR Garmin is a free program that has been updated to work with the
            above units. Import the file to DNR Garmin, save it as a gpx file, then
            import it with USAPhotomaps.

            John Sperr
            http://www.hriyc.org
            PO BOX 573
            Rhinebeck NY 12572-0573

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13 9:54 AM
              I don't have my Garmin at the office with me so I can only approach it from the Win side.

              1) Do you have any other programs that can see the GPS, like Mapsource?  If that works, then it must be a USAPM issue.
              2) Plug in the GPS and let Win recognize it and check Device Manager to see it it reports any errors.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13 10:53 AM
                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Williams <CharlieWilliams@...> wrote:
                > 1) Do you have any other programs that can see the GPS, like Mapsource?

                Mapsource imports from the Oregon only the current track not the saved files (waypoints, routes, tracks).
                ExpertGPS imports and exports all of them without any problem.
                But USAPM is my favourite programm and i want to use it with my Garmin in the future.
                I am from Germany and I manage my hiking vacations with USAPM. It is so helpfull to switch between aerial photos and topo maps.
                Before I had an Etrex H with serial adapter and had no problems with USAPM.
                I need the function to send a GPS-Point from USAPM to my Garmin.

                > If that works, then it must be a USAPM issue.
                > 2) Plug in the GPS and let Win recognize it and check Device Manager to
                > see it it reports any errors.

                In the device manager are no errors!
              • Charlie Williams
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13 11:34 AM
                  I have a 60cs and I'll try to play with it tonight (I'm in the USA so it is still working hours).  However someone else posted that the Oregon might be different.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13 12:48 PM
                    http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Computer+Transfer

                    John Sperr
                    http://www.hriyc.org
                    PO BOX 573
                    Rhinebeck NY 12572-0573

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 13 1:49 PM
                      Thank you for the Link.
                      It seems that I can't use USAPM with my Oregon like before with my Etrex H.
                      I must look which way is the best to manage my GPS-Points.

                      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, John Sperr <jsperr@...> wrote:

                      > http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Computer+Transfer
                    • Amir K9CHP
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13 2:00 PM
                        Try G7towin (google that). It is free, will extract your tracks/waypoints and then you can import them to USAphotomaps.

                        Give Topofusion a trial too, as it will also allow you to download waypoints and tracks without problems. I don't know how much the other features may be worth while to you overseas, but that is something for you to investigate.

                                   73 de Amir, K9CHP DXCC, WAS, WAC, VE (ARRL and W5YI)
                                    www.K9CHP.net http://k9chp.blogspot.com
                                    Eagle Valley Search Dogs http://evdogs.org/ K9 Handler (SAR)
                                    NYS Federation Certification Tester
                                    1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 13 3:18 PM
                          What about dumping your gpx to the sd card and importing it to USAPM

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 13 3:42 PM
                            Here's what I would try to download data from the Oregon GPS:

                            Hook up the Oregon -- let's say it shows up as before as drive H:

                            Fire up USAPhotomaps and from the menu select:

                            File -- Import -- GPX Tracks --H:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx

                            Uploading to the GPS it would be:

                            File -- Export Tracks to GPX -- H:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx