Re: [USAphotomaps] Re: Date of files downloaded from Terraserver

  • K9UDX
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
      Depending upon the area, some of the Topo packages contain several states.I have the Topo maps for New England (six states in one package). Since a primary interest is APRS work, I have to use an add-on (dmapper) to get the position reports and  tracks into Topo. I haven't gotten that to work smoothly  yet.

      With the last changes to USAPM, it became a lower priority, but I will have to work on it RSN  because of the age of the topo maps from terraserver.

      On 9/4/2010 7:35 PM, Wickiup wrote:
      I am not going to throw Doug under the bus for this as he has provided a very neat program that has been and still is a very viable tool. Time has simply moved along and mapping systems we used to rely on have not really kept up.

      However, I must ask if anyone is using any of the National Geographic Topo series of offerings? If so what are your thoughts there? One problem I have is I work from information in 5 different states and it can get spendy with any commercial offering.

      Thanks

      JIm

      --

      Bob Harris (K9UDX)
      Bath, NH

    • davidreidok
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
        Come on guys!

        Quit the grousing and whining.

        USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
        DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---

        You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.

        Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of money from those who work to those who do not.

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

        > That is the one real downside of USAPM. It uses a very old database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.
        >
        > Rick
        >

        > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Wickiup" <jcurts@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have used the USAPhotomap program in it's basic form for a number of years and find it very helpful.
        > >
        > > However, I have not kept up with the message board or possible improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.
        > >
        > > My question concerns the date of the origination of the files I download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several years ago.
        > >
        > > Have I missed something along the way such as a source of newer files?
        > >
        > > Thank you
        > >
        > > Jim Curts

      • zanewatts
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
          I completely agree David. I like it just like it is. sure there are more features on the paid equivalent, but who cares, even with areas no longer being the same due to development, I like to see what was there. It helps find some historical buildings/remains that otherwise is not listed on newer data sets.

          Zane Watts

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "davidreidok" <davidreidok@...> wrote:

          > Come on guys!
          >
          > Quit the grousing and whining.
          >
          > USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
          > DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---
          >
          > You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.
          >
          > Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of money from those who work to those who do not.
          >

          > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
          > >

          > > That is the one real downside of USAPM. It uses a very old database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > >

          > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Wickiup" <jcurts@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have used the USAPhotomap program in it's basic form for a number of years and find it very helpful.
          > > >
          > > > However, I have not kept up with the message board or possible improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.
          > > >
          > > > My question concerns the date of the origination of the files I download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several years ago.
          > > >
          > > > Have I missed something along the way such as a source of newer files?
          > > >
          > > > Thank you
          > > >
          > > > Jim Curts

        • Wickiup
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
            I am certainly not grousing or whining but looking for fill in alternatives. USA Photomaps does a great job and I use it daily to peruse the maps I have downloaded of the Western, Norhwestern states plus Montana. I use these for reference in my writing and find them to be invaluable in time saving alone.
            My problem is in coorinating photo shoots or meet ups with others and need just a bit of updated information.

            I did not intend a put down of the program and only inquired of the possibility of access to newer files.

            Thank you

            Jim Curts

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "davidreidok" <davidreidok@...> wrote:

            > Come on guys!
            >
            > Quit the grousing and whining.
            >
            > USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
            > DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---
            >
            > You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.
            >
            > Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of money from those who work to those who do not.
            >

            > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
            > >

            > > That is the one real downside of USAPM. It uses a very old database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.
            > >
            > > Rick
            > >

            > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Wickiup" <jcurts@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have used the USAPhotomap program in it's basic form for a number of years and find it very helpful.
            > > >
            > > > However, I have not kept up with the message board or possible improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.
            > > >
            > > > My question concerns the date of the origination of the files I download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several years ago.
            > > >
            > > > Have I missed something along the way such as a source of newer files?
            > > >
            > > > Thank you
            > > >
            > > > Jim Curts

          • Charlie Williams
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
              Hi All

              Sorry if I am repeating myself, but the problem of the out dated maps is not USAPM or Microsoft.  The USGS is the source for the basemaps.  While there are some that have been updated by other federal or state agencies, for the most part what is on the MSR server is the most current out there.  Don't be surprised if some are 40 years old and are missing minor roads such as interstate highways or 30 years of urban sprawl in an area.  Don't expect it to get better, either.  Using a satellite imagery and aerial photos, the USGS is moving to Orthoquads that will look like aerial photos and have contour lines and labels.  They will be easier to update and provide much more data.  So the topos as we know them appear to be fading into the past.  Maybe during this process someone will develop a new server like Terraserver or MSR and Doug Cox will be able to point his program there.

              Charlie

              On 10/7/2010 12:07 PM, Wickiup wrote:

              I am certainly not grousing or whining but looking for fill in alternatives. USA Photomaps does a great job and I use it daily to peruse the maps I have downloaded of the Western, Norhwestern states plus Montana. I use these for reference in my writing and find them to be invaluable in time saving alone.
              My problem is in coorinating photo shoots or meet ups with others and need just a bit of updated information.

              I did not intend a put down of the program and only inquired of the possibility of access to newer files.

              Thank you

              Jim Curts

              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "davidreidok" <davidreidok@...> wrote:

              > Come on guys!
              >
              > Quit the grousing and whining.
              >
              > USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
              > DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---
              >
              > You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.
              >
              > Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of money from those who work to those who do not.
              >

              > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
              > >

              > > That is the one real downside of USAPM. It uses a very old database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.
              > >
              > > Rick
              > >

              > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Wickiup" <jcurts@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have used the USAPhotomap program in it's basic form for a number of years and find it very helpful.
              > > >
              > > > However, I have not kept up with the message board or possible improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.
              > > >
              > > > My question concerns the date of the origination of the files I download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several years ago.
              > > >
              > > > Have I missed something along the way such as a source of newer files?
              > > >
              > > > Thank you
              > > >
              > > > Jim Curts

            • Kurt Savegnago
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
                Again,

                  Not to slam anyone but it's free and I think it is good enough for free software.
                Xastir is nice but it won't download and cache the OSM maps. UI-View is outdated and
                klutzy as heck.  I haven't been able to get APRSISCE-32 to run under emulation in WINE
                under Linux but it is beginning to look very promising.
                  APRSISCE one can get to download and cache with a little tweaking that is easily found
                on the wiki.

                  For tracking, USAPM is very workable and one can cache the photos in a variety of resolutions before one goes to the area of interest and not have to rely on an internet connection once they get there.  That is a very big plus.

                                                                           Kurt KC9LDH

                I am certainly not grousing or whining but looking for fill in alternatives. USA Photomaps does a great job and I use it daily to peruse the maps I have downloaded of the Western, Norhwestern states plus Montana. I use these for reference in my writing and find them to be invaluable in time saving alone.
                My problem is in coorinating photo shoots or meet ups with others and need just a bit of updated information.

                I did not intend a put down of the program and only inquired of the possibility of access to newer files.

                Thank you

                Jim Curts

                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "davidreidok" <davidreidok@...> wrote:

                > Come on guys!
                >
                > Quit the grousing and whining.
                >
                > USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
                > DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---
                >
                > You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.
                >
                > Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of money from those who work to those who do not.
                >

                > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
                > >

                > > That is the one real downside of USAPM. It uses a very old database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.
                > >
                > > Rick
                > >

                > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Wickiup" <jcurts@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have used the USAPhotomap program in it's basic form for a number of years and find it very helpful.
                > > >
                > > > However, I have not kept up with the message board or possible improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.
                > > >
                > > > My question concerns the date of the origination of the files I download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several years ago.
                > > >
                > > > Have I missed something along the way such as a source of newer files?
                > > >
                > > > Thank you
                > > >
                > > > Jim Curts

              • gnuarm
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
                  Maybe I am mistaken, but I am pretty sure I have seen newer photos and maps from USGS. From what you say, maybe it was just photos.

                  One thing that the topo maps have going for them is the work that was put into them. Try finding the name of a river in Google Maps, or any info on how deep the water is. Roads, yes; buildings, yes, directions, absolutely... but there are tons of stuff missing.

                  However, that said, if we could get updated photos into USAPM, the Tiger data base will flag road details much like the GMap satellite view with labels. That is how I get names of streets.

                  BTW, to anyone who thinks we are complaining, far from it. We all think USAPM is one of the greatest map resources around. We are just talking about how it could be even better.

                  Rick

                  --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Williams <CharlieWilliams@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All
                  >
                  > Sorry if I am repeating myself, but the problem of the out dated maps is
                  > not USAPM or Microsoft. The USGS is the source for the basemaps. While
                  > there are some that have been updated by other federal or state
                  > agencies, for the most part what is on the MSR server is the most
                  > current out there. Don't be surprised if some are 40 years old and are
                  > missing minor roads such as interstate highways or 30 years of urban
                  > sprawl in an area. Don't expect it to get better, either. Using a
                  > satellite imagery and aerial photos, the USGS is moving to Orthoquads
                  > that will look like aerial photos and have contour lines and labels.
                  > They will be easier to update and provide much more data. So the topos
                  > as we know them appear to be fading into the past. Maybe during this
                  > process someone will develop a new server like Terraserver or MSR and
                  > Doug Cox will be able to point his program there.
                  >
                  > Charlie
                  >
                  > On 10/7/2010 12:07 PM, Wickiup wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am certainly not grousing or whining but looking for fill in
                  > > alternatives. USA Photomaps does a great job and I use it daily to
                  > > peruse the maps I have downloaded of the Western, Norhwestern states
                  > > plus Montana. I use these for reference in my writing and find them to
                  > > be invaluable in time saving alone.
                  > > My problem is in coorinating photo shoots or meet ups with others and
                  > > need just a bit of updated information.
                  > >
                  > > I did not intend a put down of the program and only inquired of the
                  > > possibility of access to newer files.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you
                  > >
                  > > Jim Curts
                  > >
                  > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:USAphotomaps%40yahoogroups.com>, "davidreidok"
                  > > <davidreidok@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Come on guys!
                  > > >
                  > > > Quit the grousing and whining.
                  > > >
                  > > > USAPhotomaps works great for most of personal use and
                  > > > DID YOU NOTICE THAT IT IS TOTALLY FREE---
                  > > >
                  > > > You might have a reasonable reason to gripe if you paid for USA
                  > > Photomaps, but all the work done by the developer and the free stuff
                  > > from Microsoft should not be bad mouthed.
                  > > >
                  > > > Somebody has to pay for everything, nothing is free but the
                  > > governments right to blow our tax dollars on pork and distribution of
                  > > money from those who work to those who do not.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com

                  > > database which isn't getting any less old. There aren't any newer data
                  > > sets that the program works with. That is not to say there aren't any
                  > > newer data sets. I don't know the details, but it would be a lot of
                  > > work I believe to integrate newer data. You could try asking the author.

                  > > number of years and find it very helpful.

                  > > improvements so may be a bit out of tune. I use the program primarily
                  > > to retrace hikes and excursions taken in the past.

                  > > download. Many recent files seem to be very out dated and do not
                  > > reflect many roads, landmarks, etc. that were in place even several
                  > > years ago.

                  > > files?

                • Charlie Williams
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                    No you are not mistaken.  The USGS has more recent maps than 30 years old and some maps have gone through several revisions.  There are indeed more recent maps than what is on MSR.  That said, I believe most of what you find on the MSR server is the most current USGS topo and very likely several decades old.

                    While the new Ortho Quads are still in beta, they have some labeling.  The goal of the final product is as much labeling as the topos.  They will be in the same format and same quads as the topos.  I think digital seamless downloads will also be free like all the other stuff on the National Map.   As a heavy user of 7.5 minute quads for over 40 years, these sound like they just might be the real deal.

                  • gnuarm
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                      So do I understand it correctly that the Ortho Quads will be form, fit and function compatible with the existing Topo Quads, but will be based on photographs with labeling and other topo like content added, not unlike the Google Maps satellite view with labels? Sounds interesting (although I don't think you can beat topos for many apps). Is there a place where I can go to see these?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                        Yes, that is the goal.  The new product is called US Topo (whereas the stuff we are used to is now called the Legacy Topo).  If the following link works right, it will take you to the USGS Store and Pottstown, PA where you can download one of the brand new US Topos.  The schedule is to make all 54000(?) quads in the next 3 years with updates every 3 years.

                        http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

                        This has labels and contours.  It is a geopdf so you need special software (TerraGo which is free) for georeference.  However you can read it it Adobe reader and turn layers on and off.  Right now there doesn't appear to be a way to make large seamless maps like BigJPEG on USAPM.

                        On 10/8/2010 9:20 AM, gnuarm wrote:

                        So do I understand it correctly that the Ortho Quads will be form, fit and function compatible with the existing Topo Quads, but will be based on photographs with labeling and other topo like content added, not unlike the Google Maps satellite view with labels? Sounds interesting (although I don't think you can beat topos for many apps). Is there a place where I can go to see these?

                        Rick

                        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Williams <CharlieWilliams@...> wrote:

                        > No you are not mistaken. The USGS has more recent maps than 30 years
                        > old and some maps have gone through several revisions. There are indeed
                        > more recent maps than what is on MSR. That said, I believe most of what
                        > you find on the MSR server is the most current USGS topo and very likely
                        > several decades old.
                        >
                        > While the new Ortho Quads are still in beta, they have some labeling.
                        > The goal of the final product is as much labeling as the topos. They
                        > will be in the same format and same quads as the topos. I think digital
                        > seamless downloads will also be free like all the other stuff on the
                        > National Map. As a heavy user of 7.5 minute quads for over 40 years,
                        > these sound like they just might be the real deal.

                      • Doug Cox
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                          I'm kind of done with programming, but someone should write a program that puts that USGS data in a good user-friendly format. It should be fairly easy, and they can use or not use anything in the USAPhotoMaps source code. I tried TerraGo, and dislike it immensely.

                          Doug Cox
                          _________________________________

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                              Thanks Doug for a masterful job on UsaPhotomaps

                              Take care ,

                              Moe Bournival
                              155 Chester Tpke
                              Candia,nh
                              03034

                              155 Chester Tpke

                              </strong></font>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 9, 2010
                                For APRS, I use APRSIS32 now. It is currently in development. That does not mean it has just started, I mean it is still ongoing. the product is free. It is quite easy to use.

                                The main map support is a street map. I also download the topos as needed from an alternate server.

                                I use several packages for map service, USAPhotoMaps is one of them. I have enjoyed it over the years. Thanks Doug!

                                73, N7FMH
                                Manchester, NH